F/A-18C Armament Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has AGM-123 Skipper II powered bomb, ADM-141 TALD glider decoy and the ADM-141C ITALD powered decoy to the F/A-18C arsenal?

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-123.html

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-141.html

I would love to see any TALD version. :love:

• Like 1

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would love to see any TALD version. :love:

+1, hopefully it can be mounted on the Heatblur's F-14 too:D

tald-blue.jpg

300px-F-14_launching_a_TALD.jpg

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

The ability to ID and track air targets without radar will be worth the -1 AMRAAM.

Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly does that work? I'm just curious since I know next to nothing about the systems in the F/A-18C. Is it vaguely similar to the system on the F-14 that will show a picture of your target, or is it much more detailed than that? Thanks in advance for any info or a good source to peruse!

Cross platform interrogation. I.e. multi sensors detecting aircraft like ships and then sharing that data in real time. It means the pilot can still get a clear battle picture without the need to expose his postion. . . . I think!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly does that work? I'm just curious since I know next to nothing about the systems in the F/A-18C. Is it vaguely similar to the system on the F-14 that will show a picture of your target, or is it much more detailed than that? Thanks in advance for any info or a good source to peruse!

Pretty much the same way it works on the A-10C today when you put the targeting pod in A/A mode.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Will we be getting the AIM-7P??? It was the last large scale production version designed to replace the Mike model.

From f16.net

"Entered production in 1987, the AIM-7P is an improved AIM-7M. It features improved guidance electronics and on-board computer and has an uplink to the autopilot for mid-course guidance updates. There are two subvariants of the AIM-7P, known as Block I and Block II. The AIM-7P Block I has a WGU-6D/B guidance section, and the Block II uses a WGU-23D/B guidance section."

I really find it disappointing that we only have the Mike model for player use in the game, and it would make since to have the P model introduced with the Hornet because the Navy would still have it in loadouts during the time period of our Hornet

Btw, Spanish EF-18MLU has a specific symbology related to Litening and reconnaisance pods (different from USMC version).

Yep. Spanish F/A-18 received XN-6 mission computers (like early Charlies) in an upgrade carried out between 1992 and 1995. Last US NAVY SW used in Spanish Hornets was OFP 89C, deployed in 1992 or so, but thanks to program offsets, Spanish AF owned the source code and developed their own OFP tailored to their needs. In the last iterations, it added Link-16/MIDS compatibility, IRIS-T and Taurus launch capability, and advance self-defence suite from Eurofighter. Litening was also integrated at some point, at national level. In general, Spanish Hornets have quite different symbology and usage from standard USMC or US Navy Hornets, with special attention to air-to-ground missions.

Regards

Any word on the AIm132 ASRAAM? I know it was not used by USN "tested?", but the RAAF use them

olgerd has made it clear multiple times that it's a usn hornet being modeled, so i dont think there's any point trying to ask about non usn equipment.

It should have better resolution than the F-14s TCS.

The ATFLIR has an A/A mode and can be slaved to the radar as well, It might even be slewable to a datalink contact.

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

Should be AIM-7M or AIM-7P

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

tald-blue.jpg

Not a weapon per say but an interesting system, Basically a decoy missile that has Radar enhancements and chaff and can be programmed to fly in way mimicking aircraft behavior, according to wiki Hornet can carry 6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADM-141_TALD

USN used the TALD-C since 1996, got the MALD in 2009

Edited by sirscorpion

They are indeed very important "weapon systems" in a modern air war (CMANO players know that :D).

But I'm afraid they won't work properly within DCS. :(

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

They are indeed very important "weapon systems" in a modern air war (CMANO players know that :D).

But I'm afraid they won't work properly within DCS. :(

Why? do you mean from a game engine POV? It already "kinda" works with the BK90 and RB15. They do show on radar and you can program them with INS way points "and for some reason they have IFF" but you can for sure lock and shoot them "Even locking the Bk90 with IR"

Why? do you mean from a game engine POV? It already "kinda" works with the BK90 and RB15. They do show on radar and you can program them with INS way points "and for some reason they have IFF" but you can for sure lock and shoot them "Even locking the Bk90 with IR"

For game engine reasons. The biggest problem here is, that DCS doesn't support area jamming, at least not to my knowledge. Another problem is, that the purpose of these decoys is to confuse the enemy air defense, but the DCS AI knows from the engine what is what.

Edit: I did forget: Some air defense systems in DCS do engage munitions, so there is at least some possibility to saturate enemy air defenses, but it's very limited.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

For game engine reasons. The biggest problem here is, that DCS doesn't support area jamming, at least not to my knowledge. Another problem is, that the purpose of these decoys is to confuse the enemy air defense, but the DCS AI knows from the engine what is what.

Edit: I did forget: Some air defense systems in DCS do engage munitions, so there is at least some possibility to saturate enemy air defenses, but it's very limited.

I don't know about limited, some Sams can really down a bunch of incoming missiles.

I learned this when experimenting with B-52 cruise missile attacks and you have to overload them.

With the HARM we might have to use decoys to let them reach their target. (Assuming the mission designer turned on the sams ability to shoot down weapons.)

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

I don't know about limited, some Sams can really down a bunch of incoming missiles.

I learned this when experimenting with B-52 cruise missile attacks and you have to overload them.

With the HARM we might have to use decoys to let them reach their target. (Assuming the mission designer turned on the sams ability to shoot down weapons.)

Oh, interesting. I only have expeience with Mavericks getting shot down by Tunguskas. If SAMs actually do that on a greater scale then this offers indeed some opportunity to use Decoys.

The jamming capability is still not possible in DCS, because the way DCS simulates jamming means, that you can only protect yourself through jamming, but not others.

Tornado3 small.jpg