Favorite load-out?

zakobi

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to fly with a full loadout (usually around %100 max weight), this means lots of different weapons so you can try anything you want during a mission but it makes the aircraft really slow as a consequence.

There was a similar discussion couple of months back i think and half the people in that discussion said they like flying with a smaller loadout cos it made their aircraft significantly faster. So i decided to try that.

A smaller loadout means that you have to plan what you are going to do, since you wont be carrying 6 agm s and 4 gbu s. You need to be efficient with your weapons, that kinda forces you to focus and to take the most guaranteed way of engaging targets. And the extra speed you get is just sweet.

Anyway now i usually fly with a loadout like this:

I almost always take 2*AIM9 s, litening pod, 2*Mavericks and an ECM pod. Rest is usually depends on the mission.

If its a daytime mission, i take 1*agm-65d, 1*agm-65h, 7* m274 smoke rockets on the symmetric pylon of the litening( i learned the value of these little guys after i started to look more out of the cockpit instead of focusing on the sensors non-stop).

If its a night time mission, i take 2*agm-65d,7* m257 illumination flares on the symmetric pylon of the litening pod.

If im going against a large number of infantry and light vehicles i take, 1*TER m151 rockets and 1*TER mk5 rockets. If thats not the situation i usually take 2 bombs depending on the weather conditions (2*mk82 or 2*gbu12 or 2*gbu38 )

If i know ill be going against a group of armored targets (like 5-10 tanks) i take a cbu97 on the middle pylon.

Fuel state really depends on the mission but if there is a tanker available or if i can rtb for refueling %50-%60 percent fuel is what i go with.

Lastly i never take the bigger bombs (like mk84, gbu 10 etc.) with me unless im sure i have a target that needs those fat guys.

The planning part of carrying less weapons is really fun to be honest.

m274 smoke rockets on the symmetric pylon of the litening( i learned the value of these little guys after i started to look more out of the cockpit instead of focusing on the sensors non-stop).

What value do these little guys have lol? I don't use them much

For other aircaft?

Yeah both for others and yourself. Visual markers are quite usefull when you want to share info with other flights and they are easy to employ.

Edit: for example, you fire one south east of town of gori. after that you can radio, lets say a huey flight. you tell them to spot the white smoke marker south east of gori and engage the infantry group 1 miles north of it.

Edited by kylekatarn720

Ye it usually ends up with a, im hit, call when you do that :d

LOL.

Is there any scenario in which you'd take Mk82s in the A-10C? Honestly, the way i see it, Mavs and GBUs should be used for SAMs and AAA, and guns should be used for everything else.

LOL.

Is there any scenario in which you'd take Mk82s in the A-10C? Honestly, the way i see it, Mavs and GBUs should be used for SAMs and AAA, and guns should be used for everything else.

I guess I just like the challenge of dumb bombs. Mav's, CBU-97's, and Mk82's are my default. I do like Mk-82's for anything softer than a tank that can shoot back. I'll take a few out with bombs before going in low for gun-runs.

LOL.

Well, you can take out almost anything (tanks, apc, buildings etc.) with mk82s if you manage to get a direct hit on the target but its really hard to get those direct hits every time especially on moving targets.

During missions, i use them for taking out AAA encampments or other soft static targets, if i feel confident that i can hit them (weather conditions are the main factor for me).

During practices, i only use mk82 s to get better and despite doing it for some time now, im still quite amateur with them. Like cthulhu68 said, its really a challenge. For the training part, i load 6 mk82 s against a column of T90s and for the wind part i use the half values of "wind and clouds" weather template. I still cant get consistent with my hit percentage though, maybe im doing something wrong in the LASTE, im not sure.

Edit: oh and there is nothing like ripple dropping 12 mk82 s on a moving vehicle column and watching it from the convoys perspective :d

I guess I just like the challenge of dumb bombs. Mav's, CBU-97's, and Mk82's are my default. I do like Mk-82's for anything softer than a tank that can shoot back. I'll take a few out with bombs before going in low for gun-runs.

Guess it depends on everyone's playstyle. I don't like dumb bombs because of the inaccuracy. I'd rather drop a single GBU on BMP in 1 pass, as opposed to using mark 82s where i may have to make more than one pass using more than one bomb

Normally I try to take a fairly realistic loadout. TGP, 2xAGM-65D, 2xMk82 or CBU-97, 1xAGM-65G, 1x GBU-38, 1x GBU-12, sometimes a pod of WP or HE rockets depending on mission, ECM pod, and a full tank of gas. If I expect to see some helos or something I'll bring an AIM-9 as well.

People say, and I agree that taking 6 Mavs and 4 GBUs is a ridiculous load out. But the other day I noticed that:

Weight of 6 AGM-65Ds is similar to the weight of 2 AGM-65Ds and 4 GBUs. Both load outs allow you engage 6 high priority targets.

So is there any reason to not take just 6 Mavs and no bombs?

People say, and I agree that taking 6 Mavs and 4 GBUs is a ridiculous load out. But the other day I noticed that:

Weight of 6 AGM-65Ds is similar to the weight of 2 AGM-65Ds and 4 GBUs. Both load outs allow you engage 6 high priority targets.

So is there any reason to not take just 6 Mavs and no bombs?

My guess is for realism's sake. AFAIK agms when loaded on ters on each wing will scorch the landing gear tires with the inside agm rocket blasts and can mess up the tgp's lense with the outside rocket blast.

Callsign: "Milkman"

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

I don't really have a preference, but find myself leaning toward Mk82s (both HD and slick) and one or two mavericks and no TGP (I'll take a TGP if mission profile requires it). If I have the room (drag speaking), I may add 1 Aim9 and/or an ECM pod depending on threat environment.

CBUs tend to push me over my personal drag index threshold, so I load them sparingly, and usually have to cut out other things.

I like to keep whatever weapon-loadout I choose below a certain drag index, otherwise the execution of my delivery profile suffers.

Ain't nothing worse than wallering around coming off target trying to perform my SEM and getting a belly fully of shrapnel.

one or two mavericks and no TGP (I'll take a TGP if mission profile requires it)

Ain't nothing worse than wallering around coming off target trying to perform my SEM and getting a belly fully of shrapnel.

How do you ID Shilkas from long range without a TGP? And what's SEM

How do you ID Shilkas from long range without a TGP?

I usually ID them by the tracers shooting at the poor schmuck that went into the target area before me. LOL J/K. (not really kidding - truth)

In order of preference: JTAC/AFAC, precise MGRS coordinates, or general area. Obviously, if I have no idea it is there, I'll probably end up getting shot at. But it's not that hard to spend a little time looking through your binos :)

• 3 weeks later...
Also, why do people take 2x GBU-12 and 2x GBU-38?

Why not just 4x GBU-12?

I know that people dont take 4x GBU-38 because you might need to attack a moving target but why not take 4 GBU-12s?

If a static target is heavily defended you don't want to lase the GBU-12 and stay in the target area.

It's easier to drop a 38 and get away as fast as possible.

If a static target is heavily defended you don't want to lase the GBU-12 and stay in the target area.

It's easier to drop a 38 and get away as fast as possible.

I've started taking 4 GBU-12s because one time, I dropped a 38 on a Shilka, and then it moved, I was about to scream lol

It obviously depends on the mission, but my favourite is 2 or 4 AGM-65D, the jammer and Sidewinders. Keeps the Hog agile :)

Guns and Missiles, I just wish I could carry 10K rounds of ammo

Why no TGP? You guys might as well be flying the A-10A :D