2.5 release / openbeta / both?

nessuno0505

Now I'm only with 2.5 release. But I can see that many bugs from the openbeta are still there, and maybe openbeta updates come more quickly. Is it possible to upgrade 2.5 stable to 2.5 openbeta? Is openbeta better than stable? I mean, does the majority of dcs players use stable or openbeta branch? Are they compatible one each other in multiplayer? Is it better just to have one of the two or both the installations side by side?

Right now both versions are identical and share the same multiplayer instance. So you can join either one and you'll be in the same place.

Once open beta updates, they will be out of sync again.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Open Beta updates always come more quickly, as this is by default the version that gets updated first. Thus it gets new content and fixes first. That, however also means it always gets more bugs/glitches/problems than the stable one, so which one is "better" depends on how you interpret "better".

Majority of users either have both versions installed separately, or switch between them in one folder on the fly (using relevant command for the DCS_updater.exe, or excellent SkateZilla's utility).

They're compatible with each other in multiplayer only when they are exactly the same build number - that's the situation now, but sooner or later Beta will go to next number and you will have to check which version is being used by your favourite MP servers.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Can you tell me what DCS updater commands I need to switch between versions? If I have enough disk space (I have) is it better I install both or switch between them? Maybe switching is better since I have only one /savedgame folder and do not have to double all my settings and personal preferences... is this correct?

I just tried skatezilla updater and it's a very useful tool that automates a lot of multiple steps operations. Now I can switch between stable and openbeta just like if I was on steam. Very useful also to switch between VR on/off without rebooting DCS every time. I'll stay with it for now, thank you.

I've upgraded my SSD and GPU yesterday and re-downloaded OpenBeta ONLY.

Play on OpenBeta.. that's it.

No need to re-downloaded

Just copy and paste redo links (DCS BIN FOLDER) and your done, good to run a clean and repair using skatezilla graphical updater.

DCS is not tied in windows except licensing, so if building a new PC or changing GPU? disable the modules first in the module manager then copy paste.

I keep a backup of the complete Eagle Dynamics folder on an external drive ready to copy back to a new PC redo links and done etc.

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

No need to re-downloaded

Just copy and paste redo links (DCS BIN FOLDER) and your done, good to run a clean and repair using skatezilla graphical updater.

DCS is not tied in windows except licensing, so if building a new PC or changing GPU? disable the modules first in the module manager then copy paste.

I keep a backup of the complete Eagle Dynamics folder on an external drive ready to copy back to a new PC redo links and done etc.

-

Well I have deactivated my modules but I Did redownload

I did not know I could copy paste previous installation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im using the 2.5 open beta for a while because Wags mentioned in the last livestream that the hornet will first be released on that version. And I want to fly that f-18 as soon as possible.

Sytem Specs: Asus armor Z170 mobo, Intel 6700k i7 chip, gtx 1080, 32g DDR4, 800watt pws, Win10, Samsung NVME M.2 256G Drive, 1T Samsung Evo SSD, 250G Corsair SSD, Asus 4k 28" 60hz Monitor, Oculus Rift, WarthogTM stick and throttle, CH rudder pedals

Looks like ED is updating Open Beta today to 2.5.1: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3463558#post3463558

This means that Open Beta will be a newer version than the Release 2.5.

THEY ARE NO LONGER THE SAME. :)

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Looks like ED is updating Open Beta today to 2.5.1: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3463558#post3463558

This means that Open Beta will be a newer version than the Release 2.5.

THEY ARE NO LONGER THE SAME. :)

Looks like they are locking deferred shading in with this update.

"Deferred Shading render locked in the game and can not be turned off. DCS ceased support of old graphic render without Deferred Shading."

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Looks like they are locking deferred shading in with this update.

"Deferred Shading render locked in the game and can not be turned off. DCS ceased support of old graphic render without Deferred Shading."

Well, this is EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING AND UNFORTUNATE if ED and the developers don't fix in this update the huge disaster which is deferred shading on for the cockpits at dusk / dawn / night,

as it has been treated in countless threads in this forum.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

I agree. I understand that deferred shading technology is the future and ED wants to focus on it, but since now I've had to disable it in order to play nightime missions. If there are no fix to this relevant issue in this update, it is impossible to play by night! Maybe in this phase it is better to have open beta and release installed side by side, unless you want to give up playing at night.

I agree. I understand that deferred shading technology is the future and ED wants to focus on it, but since now I've had to disable it in order to play nightime missions. If there are no fix to this relevant issue in this update, it is impossible to play by night! Maybe in this phase it is better to have open beta and release installed side by side, unless you want to give up playing at night.

Exactly! :thumbup:

And disabling / enabling is not a solution, having to wait ages for the shaders to rebuild each time. And by the way, I believe that the cockpits are far better also during the day with deferred shading off.

Let's hope that THERE IS a fix to this relevant issue in this update, or at least when the update comes to the 2.5 release, which I am using.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

I am with the release version too, but I'm eager to try the new features, so I'm thinking to go back to open beta that I used before release version publication. But if there is no fix for nightime issues, I'll keep two installations side by side. Even more if you consider that it is hard to call "release" a version with such lightings problems, but nevertheless release branch has been started without correcting them. I can understand an a-10c CDU page bugged, or a stuck Landing gear in f-5, but IMHO such an issue like the night lighting one must be fixed before a release. If you do not fix it, why then install the release branch? Might as well stay with the beta!

P.S. I don't want to rush ED. Nothing like that. I understand that such a problem can be hard do fix and needs time. I just say that maybe they coud wait before publishing the stable branch, and thus essentially because I can't consider the release as "stable".

Edited by nessuno0505

You said it nessuno0505, it is hard to call "release" a version with such lightings problems....

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Well, at the end I decided for both. Release and open beta side by side.

And I can say that night lighting in 2.5.1 has improved vs 2.5.

There's still some work to do; deep night is still too dark and cockpits flood light is still to faint, but we're on the right path.

Night missions are playable.