Could I Re-assign Cougar switches

I have the cougar thingy's and would like to utilize the corner switches for other than standard game assigned controls.

Some modules appear to have these things "hard wired" I cannot re-assign them.

Some 'key assign" spaces are greyed out.

The F/18 hairnet, no worries to change these.

The Harriar, na, not allowed to change them here.

Hogwart A-10C na, cannot change them here.................etc

I would not mind at all to have these MFD controllers "blank" as standard. I would not mind at all going through them for each module and choosing my own action for the switches.

I do not have an issue with them being button press for Left OSB 1, Right Thingy 2 etc.

it's those corner switches I would like to fiddle them to something else.

If anyone knows of a standard lua file fix that I could insert somewhere as altering the lua files myself will more than likely get me in all sorts of a mess.

PS; my Son has forbidden me to use Notepad ++ by myself.

I do have permission to use JGMSE if there is a MOD for it.

I suppose your "thingy's" are the MFD controllers.

The Harrier has dedicated files ("F16 MFD 1.lua" and "F16 MFD 2.lua") for the related commands in the folder "...\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Input\AV8BNA\joystick".

If you want to use commands from these files with your HOTAS or button box, you need to copy the "wanted" commands from the MFD files to "defaut.lua".

This needs to be done with Notepad++ of course. Request special permission from your son or pay him to do it for you :)

Edit: A-10C has a similar situation but it's more complex becuase it has dedicated files for several HOTAS devices like the TM WH joystick and throttle or Saitek Pro devices.

It's the files ending with ".lua" (not ".diff.lua"!). Any command you want to use with these devices must be defined in the related file. So you may have to copy commands into more than one ".lua" file.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

You could use the native Thrustmaster Target application for these and program them yourself (which would show up as a new device in DCS), though perhaps you'll have to re-assign *all* of the MFD buttons for each of the modules.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I thank you for the reply and advice.

It will however have to come down to an homer simpson level for me to follow.

I understand you want to use some of the switches/buttons on your MFD's for commands not related to MFD's.

For the Harrier that's relatively simple. It means that we have to copy the desired commands from the "default.lua" to the "F16 MFD 1.lua" resp. "F16 MFD ".lua2

If you state exactly which commands you want to use, I can create the modified "default.lua" for you.

However you would still have to make sure ou don't lose the changes when ED issues updates (ED overwrites modified files during the updatze process). That can be done manually by keeping backup copies, or better by using the free OvGME program. It doesn't get simpler than that, unfortunately.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thank you for the reply and attempt to help out.

I did unfortunately try myself and the result is not looking good.

I will delete game and reinstall to remedy what I have done (same as last time)

This is why my Son forbids me doing certain things beyond the desktop.

Last time I had my espresso machine confiscated for 7 days.

I was hoping for a standard blank that could be used for all and whenever, but it's not to be .

I have canned the idea and will go back to running all as installed.

Once again, Thank you.

Im sorry Im late but the fix is simply deleting the C:\...\DCS\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Input\AV8BNA\joystick\MFD 1.lua and the same for MFD 2.lua.

Delete those, and next time you start DCS, your MFDs will be with no command assigned, and available, not grey out anymore.

Repeat for every aircraft you want to.

I had this issue twice, was thinking about reinstalling when that "trial and error" test worked.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

This certainly works, but the MFD...lua will come back with every update, and I think you will have to delete them again before you fly the Harrier.

With these device-specific .lua files ED wanted to make our life easier. In reality they only make it more complicated.

LeCuvier