PC Pilot Article on MAC

NineLine

In my opinion, level of digital combat simulation is up to the user, not the module. FC3 modules can be flown very seriously as a ”hardcore” sim and clickable modules can be flown with ridiculous payloads or flown by total clowns. The aircraft is just one component of the total sim experience. Tactics, mission planning, proper radio calls, ATC communication, navigation etc. all add up to what level of sim you fly. Not just the module fidelity.

In my opinion, level of digital combat simulation is up to the user, not the module. FC3 modules can be flown very seriously as a ”hardcore” sim and clickable modules can be flown with ridiculous payloads or flown by total clowns. The aircraft is just one component of the total sim experience. Tactics, mission planning, proper radio calls, ATC communication, navigation etc. all add up to what level of sim you fly. Not just the module fidelity.

very well put, i agree..

i think one of the points of MAC will be to give some easier/simplified options to users that want them.. its then up to the user/player to decide how best to use them

I can see many that will thoroughly enjoy spending weeks learning the details of a full DCS module, but also loading up MAC for some good 'quick fun'. It's all up to us to do what we enjoy the most with what is available.

we have to remember (and respect), 'to each their own' :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

This part of the problem. As far as you are concerned, FC is "arcade".

It's nothing of the sort. I fly both and enjoy both just as much (just for the record) but calling FC "arcade" is just ridiculous and seems to be an attempt to make different classes of player, with an insulting swipe at those flying FC (i.e. 'lower class' simmers).

imho such talk is just childish and tbh I'm completely sick of it. Not just with DCS World, it's the same with other sims. "Mine's better/harder/requires more intelligence than yours". Here's some news for you - they are all games, for entertainment. I know that's really hard for those with large egoes to accept, but it's fact.

Have a nice day.

Id like to think that FC3 was one of the best flight simulations of all time. Not needing to flick a few switches in the cockpit does not make an arcade game. Do you really need to work the radios? Do you really need to make sure that your ejection seat is primed before takeoff? Going with your logic, a preflight check should be mandatory too; walk-around looking for loose rivets, checking water in the fuel, making sure all the pins are pulled, visually inspecting the oleo struts, inspecting the landing gear for corrosion or broken hardware...then on to reviewing the maintenance log, deferring items on the MEL, wait on maintenance to fix whatever you find if it grounds your aircraft. And we can also do the post flight mx write-ups that occurred during your flight. Lets go ahead and make flight simulation real as possible - turn a 2 hour flight into an 8 hour day with the briefings and what-not too. :huh:

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

Id like to think that FC3 was one of the best flight simulations of all time. Not needing to flick a few switches in the cockpit does not make an arcade game. Do you really need to work the radios? Do you really need to make sure that your ejection seat is primed before takeoff? Going with your logic, a preflight check should be mandatory too; walk-around looking for loose rivets, checking water in the fuel, making sure all the pins are pulled, visually inspecting the oleo struts, inspecting the landing gear for corrosion or broken hardware...then on to reviewing the maintenance log, deferring items on the MEL, wait on maintenance to fix whatever you find if it grounds your aircraft. And we can also do the post flight mx write-ups that occurred during your flight. Lets go ahead and make flight simulation real as possible - turn a 2 hour flight into an 8 hour day with the briefings and what-not too. :huh:

i think its back to the "to each their own"

i know some people DO want to do walk around and take an hour to prepare for a flight. I am not sure how common it is with combat sims like DCS, but i know with GA or Airliners in XP or P3D its pretty popular, developers have added features to facilitate this desire.

the point is, it's not that one has to do 'all or nothing' to be 'realistic'. these sim platforms will offer a lot of features and we can each do the parts that we enjoy the most. we don't have to worry about what one "should be doing".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

...Do you really need to work the radios?...

Actually I enjoy this preflight settings quite much :-) ADF,radio etc.

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

Please, educate yourself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_flight_simulation_game#Survey

because you actually slap in the face all the virtual pilots with your "arcade" insult. Those pilots of FC3 I'm talking about that fly with the same or better professional flight model than in other hifi modules. They choose FC3 because there is no better way to fly these aircraft at the moment.

I'm sorry, I didn't knew there is such a thing as a survey simulation. I guess FC3/MAC falls into that category then.

I had the possibility to try the F/A-18C and it was 3 clicks to start the engines then another 3 buttons to launch... but I guess some prefer to click the buttons instead of flying and then brag about it.

You would have to fly with only one engine in that case, not to mention all the various systems that would not be available to you, as they don't just magically come to live as they do in FC3...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm sorry, I didn't knew there is such a thing as a survey simulation. I guess FC3/MAC falls into that category then.

FC3 is even beyond survey definitions but thing is we don't know yet where MAC will place. Afaik DCS has "game avionics/flight mode" option since forever and it was never a problem. No one called DCS "arcade" because of this. I believe that MAC case could be similar.

You would have to fly with only one engine in that case...
good catch :thumbup: (not that it can't be done)
Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

FC3 is even beyond survey definitions but thing is we don't know yet where MAC will place. Afaik DCS has "game avionics/flight mode" option since forever and it was never a problem. No one called DCS "arcade" because of this. I believe that MAC case could be similar.

Because the game avionics mode is prohibited on pretty much every server in MP and I don#t think it gets used much in SP either.

good catch :thumbup: (not that it can't be done)

I just noticed I forgot the crank switch, which would be the third button then:

1) Battery on

2) APU on

3) Engine crank

4) Throttle to idle

So you wouldn't be able to fly at all with just 3 steps ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well this thread has kind of gone off the rails already, but I just wanted to jump in to point out that even though some may look down on the FC3 aircraft as being too arcadey, there are actual arcade-style flight sims like Ace Combat where you literally fly with a gamepad and just point in the general direction of the enemy, auto lock, and spam missiles. And those games probably sell orders of magnitude more than FC3 or other DCS modules. I for one don't begrudge ED if they are going after that market or something more similar to the level of FC3. It doesn't interest me at all, but if it helps bring more people into our hobby and supports development of future modules, I'm all for it.

I think it's great if ED develops some money-maker game. What I don't understand is why would they announce it on DCS forum and stir the pot :)

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria