2dof Motion Reality Chair with DCS

=DECOY=

Decoy - I'm about to pick one of these platforms up here in the next few weeks. Would you be willing to share your SimTools profile with me? Would love to have it to test the platform out of the box & make tweaks as needed to my personal preference. Not sure of forum rules but if you can't post in this thread could you PM it to me? TIA!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, so awesome!

But I think u should buy a third sensor for Flightsims (or just DCS) only, and use this single one mounted on the chair. Really.

Else u have double motion. And that makes no sense. U can see it in the vid. Did u try that out?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
If anyone is having a problem with the tractionloss wheels failing I have found a transfer bearing that will replace the tractionloss wheel assemblies with just a small amount of dremel/file work on the holes. The link is for these is:

http://www.vxb.com/308-lbs-Heavy-Duty-Machined-Steel-Ball-Trans-p/308lbs-ball-unit.htm

They work very well, very smooth.

Danny

is that wheel still working? i am thinking of doing the same thing?

Most of the movement platforms do not seem to reproduce the accelerations of an aircraft correctly. What pilot sees is not really related to the attitude. In a 60° clean bank you have 2 g straight down in the cockpit nothing lateral - it is dead wrong to tilt the seat sideways (hint: look at the ball in the bank indicator).

In fact if you roll rapidly you should have an initial tilt to the opposite side of the roll to simulate initiation of the roll and then center the seat to upright as you reach a constant roll rate.

Pilots hate negative g, for this reason you often see them go inverted before pulling the nose down instead of pushing the nose down directly for a steep dive. By performing half a barrel roll and pull and roll upright again you experience positive g throughout the manouver.

Only time you have sideways acceleration in the cockpit is when you side-slip and fly ball off-center, so normally you should not see the platform tilted sideways for any prolonged period...

Tilting up and down is a bit different story. Beyound that I see no real benefit from adding 3rd DOF, it seems to be fully out-of-scope. You can tilt the platform/seat to align the real gravity vector to the inertial acceleration vector in the cockpit and you can add positive negative g feeling by tilting the seat back and forth for fooling the senses - this you can achieve with 2 DOF already.

Here couple of ideas:

https://youtu.be/9M47PngEr3s

Edited by Jyge

I bought one of the earlier 3DOF units and the motion was so jerky and uneven when changing orientation, due to play in the gearbox, that it just wasn't satisfactory for flightsimming. I communicated with other 3DOF owners during the same time period and they all had the same issue and 3DOF was unable to solve the problem. I eventually sold it to a racing enthusiast and he never had a problem with the jerky and uneven movement.

Has 3dof solved the gearbox problem where the ride is now completely smooth when changing orientation in the pitch /roll axis?

Wow, so awesome!

But I think u should buy a third sensor for Flightsims (or just DCS) only, and use this single one mounted on the chair. Really.

Else u have double motion. And that makes no sense. U can see it in the vid. Did u try that out?

Using the camera mounted on the motion platform with Rift doesn't work right. This software seems to work pretty well with iRacing. I haven't actually set up my motion platform to work with DCS yet, I haven't got enough free time.

https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator/

You fix one of your hand controllers on your chair near your head and the software subtracts the motion. Your virtual head still moves away from where it should be a bit, but way less than it would do without it.

The other option is to use no sensors at all. Doing this will fix your head in 3d space and you can only pitch, roll, and yaw it. Drift in the inertial sensor readings will also mean you need fairly frequent presses of the HMD center button.