Power curve (Aug15 opdate)

oldcrusty

At certain speed Hornet can not turn tight enough to start bleeding airspeed because of it's G limiter set to 7.5G. The airframe can't pressurize anymore so turn radius will get bigger. Try turning with 7.5G at 300 kts and then do the same at 600 kts. At 300 you can "slide" in the air, because the FCS will allow you to do that, at 600 kts with 7.5G (FCS limit) you won't be able to turn tighter unless you remove the G limit with the autopilot disengage button held down.

P.S. That's why you should keep your speed up in a fight to not bleed it with maximum stick deflection. I find 400-450 kts the best in the Hornet for a dogfight.

P.S. 2 Blacking out is kind of random in my feeling. Sometimes you can hold it with a small tunnel to look, and sometimes it just pops out and you are instantly unconscious for quite a while. Everything with the same G load. I've won/lost a fight like that many times. It would be nice if we would have some kind of seatbelts that detect the G in-game and if we are squeezing our muscles to hold Gs :P. Would be fun for you, and weird for someone who comes to your room :D.

Edited by =OPS=Slider1709

At certain speed Hornet can not turn tight enough to start bleeding airspeed because of it's G limiter set to 7.5G. The airframe can't pressurize anymore so turn radius will get bigger. Try turning with 7.5G at 300 kts and then do the same at 600 kts. At 300 you can "slide" in the air, because the FCS will allow you to do that, at 600 kts with 7.5G (FCS limit) you won't be able to turn tighter unless you remove the G limit with the autopilot disengage button held down.

P.S. That's why you should keep your speed up in a fight to not bleed it with maximum stick deflection. I find 400-450 kts the best in the Hornet for a dogfight.

P.S. 2 Blacking out is kind of random in my feeling. Sometimes you can hold it with a small tunnel to look, and sometimes it just pops out and you are instantly unconscious for quite a while. Everything with the same G load. I've won/lost a fight like that many times. It would be nice if we would have some kind of seatbelts that detect the G in-game and if we are squeezing our muscles to hold Gs :P. Would be fun for you, and weird for someone who comes to your room :D.

Cool stuff,

here's a link to a thread and a vid I made relating to this issue. Yes, I could easily maintain my 5.6g turn at 320ish and was moving the nose at a impressive rate. The surprise came in the second part of the test when I entered the turn at around 450. Even after shutting down the AB's the a/s was bleeding very slowly. I just thought I'd bring it up:)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3600423&postcount=48

To clarify that even more - higher speed = higher pressure = less elevator deflection needed to achieve 7.5G. Without FBW, elevator deflection depends only on pilot's strength, like in WW2 planes for example, so pilot had to keep an eye on the Gs he pulled to not overstress an airplane and not damage it in effect. In modern planes, all that is done by FBW/FCS. Hornet example is the interesting one. At low speeds, it's hard to get 7.5G, which leads FCS to allow full elevator deflection in order to achieve it. This can lead to mentioned in my previous post "sliding" in the air, high AoA which then leads to high drag and in effect bleeding airspeed. At high speeds, it's a bit different. Pilot can pull the stick to it's full deflection, then FCS takes into account information like speed, actual stick deflection, maximum G (in this case 7.5) and then controls the elevator to achieve 7.5G. Obviously this entire process is much more complicated and I simplified it to just give a picture of what's going on and why. I'd also like to add that I'm not an expert, and I can be wrong, feel free to correct me :).

P.S. And again I forgot about something. Notice how the nose of the airplane in your video slows down while still gaining speed and maintaining G.

P.S. And again I forgot about something. Notice how the nose of the airplane in your video slows down while still gaining speed and maintaining G.

Yes, I noticed that. I guess what really surprised me was how long it took to bleed off the a/s without afterburners. Anyways, I generally like this flight model especially maneuverability around 300 ~ 330. Oh, and whipping a pirouette now is a breeze:D

It would be nice if we would have some kind of seatbelts that detect the G in-game and if we are squeezing our muscles to hold Gs :P. Would be fun for you, and weird for someone who comes to your room :D.

That gave me an idea... thinking of "modifying" my 2nd jetseat now...

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

Haha, looking forward to see that! It would be a real game changer, because then pilot would not have to be "programmed" for G tolerance, if we could hold it ourselves. Then if someone would blackout, then it's only his fault :).

Trust me, ideas like this have been "entertained" before in online flt sim communities. You wouldn't believe the ideas people kept coming out with: electric shocks or other discomforting, masochistic devices like noose around the neck hooked up to a winch, lanyards attached to your wrists to make your arm movement really strenuous under G, etc. Who cares about legal issues...:music_whistling:

PS. Getting back to current FM... have any Hornet pilots put this version through the wringer yet? I mean entire envelope in UA and PA.

Edited by Gripes323

I was thinking more like a belt which would ONLY detect in-game G and then check if you are squeezing your muscles or not to hold the Gs, nothing else. Electro shocks, noose around the neck...I heard about all that and people are crazy, that's all I can say. My device would be more user friendly.