Shkval resets laser range, loses track of the target and slews away

Sh4rk

Issue 1:

When I fire a Vikhr, the laser range resets to 0.1 km and I get a X on the Shkval (meaning "too close") even though the target is many km away. If I touch anything before the missile hits, or try to lock again, the Shkval slews away from the target and the Vikhr shot misses.

Issue 2:

Similar to issue 1 but without even firing, the Shkval loses track and starts slewing in a random direction. The range reading is cut by half, more or less. Quickly pressing the lock button will lock it to the ground, but 2 or 3 seconds later it will lose track and slew away again.

In all cases, the Shkval is inside slewing angle at all times, there are no buildings, trees or wires in front of the target, the line of sight is clear.

This is making it VERY frustrating to try to engage any ground units, using anything but rockets and fixed cannon, specially if they're moving or shooting back.

:cry:

Is this the same "wandering slew bug" that has existed for YEARS now ?

I know there was an issue where the Shkval would randomly slew off target (especially at the worst possible moment) all the time.

I stopped flying the Blackshark several years ago because of this very reason.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Hmm... What does come to mind by "wandering gate" defining is that when you slew the gate around chasing a moving target and trying to lock it when the gate goes over the target, the result is that gate starts to move to moved direction by itself without slewing. Is that the bug?

I might have couple times the bug that I have had Shkval targeting gate locked on target that moves and then suddenly the lock is lost and the gate keeps moving in previous heading and speed. What is more like a random change simulator for the lock.

The downside what turns me off from Shark is its inability to be a realistic by locking and guidance method. Same thing as with Su-25T is with KA-50, and that is the gate is unit ID based, not a contrast based. So while you can sometimes lock on a building when the system detects it is a building, the same is with ground units. And as we all know that once the unit is destroyed, its ID is zeroed and so on you can't anymore lock on such destroyed unit.

Hopefully we would get the realistic contrast based tracking gate to Su-25T and KA-50, as it would allow us to lock on anything, track anything (up to specific situation limits) and so on make Shkval and Vikhr more deadly as we could lock to any tree, any bush, any road, any building, any aircraft or anything that has a contrast on screen.

Add there the fragmentation sleeve modeling and A/A mode function with proximity fuze option and KA-50 as Su-25T would become extremely more effective in Air-to-Ground as Air-to-Air combat.

And that without losing a tracking from clear contrast object like helicopter at blue sky.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Fri13: I have very little time in the shark. maybe like 5 hours, so this could be useless help. but I was watching a youtube video last night, and while using the HMS he was able to lock onto buildings / trees /etc. They attacked a barracks.

In another video I watched, not sure which one. But they used the switch on the bottom left of the weapons panel from auto to manual. he explained it allowed to launch without having to have a lock.

Edited by thestardawg

Is this the same "wandering slew bug" that has existed for YEARS now ?

No, it's a new one (I think). Didn't use to happen in 1.5.

The Shkval *does* have a "search" function (Shkval scan mode) in that it will slew left and right on its own if you lock it to a point in the ground (ТТ) using the HMS then press Uncage/Designate once more. But it's not that.

Another function is the "tracking memory" in that the Shkval will keep moving / slewing to follow a lost track if you only lose it for a few seconds (the Shkval screen shows П instead of ТА). It's also not that. It doesn't keep slewing in the direction the target is moving, it loses track and moves in random directions, sometimes like if the target was crossing below you to behind you (even though it's many km away). Also happens to non-moving targets targeted by a hovering helo.

And yes the "contrast" tracking by Shkval is faked in DCS (not correctly simulated). It locks to alive objects, not the image (alive units, buildings will get a ТА cue, dead ones do not,) and in low light conditions (after 6 PM in game) the Shkval lock range is artificially reduced even if you can still see the targets on screen clearly. But that's another matter.

The "wandering slew" is present ever since 2.5.0, but then it was only slewing to the right on its own, sometimes. Now it just loses tracking and goes in whatever random direction. Repeatedly, and all of the time at the worst possible time, that is when you're engaged and being engaged by ground units.

Very weird with the wandering slew. It never affects me. I mostly fly the Black Shark at least 6 hours a week. Almost never experience that bug. Not for the last 6 months at least.

I remember it from way back though, and I can recall that sometime the Shkval was weird. But I never experience it now. I have become much more proficient in the Black Shark lately, so I don't know if I´m doing something different, maybe.

Or it's a graphics card issue or something? Or joystick bindings + some axis errors, which are gone because of my bindings...dunno... Very weird. I never use the litle knob-joystick on the Thrustmaster. Only the TMS on the joystick. Maybe that has something to do with it.

So for me, the BS2 is not broken at all. I love it. I spend 95% of my DCS time in it. The LEDs.. I've gottten used to. Gamma issues and Anti-collision-discolights... don't give a damn. Doesnt bother me.

I use Ricardos cockpit, which looks better than the A10 cockpit, if you ask me. With scrateches and all. Love it.

(I´m running Open Beta)

Edited by Siinji

This is not the bug, as that I can't reproduce at will, let alone make a track file of.

But look at how the Shkval ranging is (mis)behaving in the first 30 seconds of this video.

Usually the Shkval only shows a range up to 15 km. But in the video you can see the ranging going all the way up to 100 km, then back to 0, then "counting" up back to 15 km when the laser is pointed ahead of the horizon.

That's not how laser rangers work, and not how it worked before in the Ka50.

It's like it's trying to "grope" in the dark with a stick trying to find the distance to whatever object is in that line of sight.

In fact I think it might be using a collision mesh for that, or something like that. And sometimes that check might be colliding against some part of the airframe, the Vikhr that just launched, or some other invisible object, and that's when the laser ranger resets to 0.1 km and loses lock because the target is suddenly too close.

I'm still trying to make a track or a video of the slewing bug, but reproducing track files (replay) is apparently broken too... The replayed track shows things differently than what happened in game (skips actions, etc). :confused: