DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #3: Phoenix Rising!

Cobra847

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we carried them it was a mix, they weigh a lot for one so landing on the carrier with 6 of them was not really feasable, and at a million dollars a missile you don't want to jettison them, in Afghanistan and Iraq we rarely carried them because we were doing a lot of bombing and decided to carry sparrows and aim-9s.

Which Sparrow versions did you carry in Afgh. and Iraq, and what years were that? :) (assuming it's declassified by now.)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

I honestly don't remember which varient, I was an aviation electricians mate in VF-213, I worked mainly on Avionics, flight controls, fuel, and electrical systems. We were in Afghanistan in 01-02, and we were in Iraq in 03, we were part of the first wave in both OEF and OIF

Edited by HawkeyeHHDF

Hawkeye

VF-213 CO

VCVW-11

http://www.vcvw-11.com

Heatblur F-14 SME

Easy question. The AIM-7M has been the standard model for quite some time. AIM-7Fs were most likely seen and used during missile shoots at dummy targets. The AIM-54s were carried initially in Afghanistan but once it was clear there was no air threat, they swapped the single AIM-54 for an AIM-7(useful counterbalance for the AAQ-25 pod). I'd recommend getting the Osprey series books by Tom Cooper about F-14 units of OEF and OIF.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

thank you very much for your answer. much appreciated!

i already thought that aim-54s aren't the perfect fit for a "multi-role" loadout, because of their weight, but it's good to know, that at least it won't be completely unrealistic to carry a phoenix (or two) in a multi-role configuration...

You had the question answered, so i can only add on the A-A doctrine. I can't recall exactly where i read it, but it was an interview in some online magazine in which a former F-14 crew member (don't even recall if he was a RIO or a driver) was asked a similar question, "was the Phoenix used as a fighter weapon"? His answer was that up until the early 80's, the 54's were use exclusively in fleet defense, because of three reasons. First, they were expensive, second they were heavy and third, the enemy didn't field any forward looking capable platforms/weapons at the time. However as the Soviets starting deploying forward looking capable MiG-23s (and later on 29's and Flankers) in ever greater numbers, (these often ending up in use by Soviet backed nations) the forward looking threat was taken quite seriously. It was this that prompted the use of more varied CAP configurations. While previously the F-14's would be armed with only Sparrows and Sidewinders (in different numbers, 2x2, 4x2, 6x2, 4x4) when configured as fighters, from the mid 80's onward, we start to see them equipped with Phoenixes, Sparrows and Sidewinders at the same time (2x2x2, 2x3x2, 1x3x2, 1x2x2) in fighter configuration. The specific loadouts were highly varied by squadrons though :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Here is the article mentioned by Captain Dalan:

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-topgun-instructor-watched-the-f-14-go-from-tomcat-1725012279

Discussion on the AIM-54 is in the middle of the article.

-Nick

That was an excellent read, thanks for sharing. What I found most interesting is how seriously the US Navy seemed to take the Mig-23's capabilities, it's completely the opposite to Western "propaganda" where it's talked about as a terrible aircraft.

That was an excellent read, thanks for sharing. What I found most interesting is how seriously the US Navy seemed to take the Mig-23's capabilities, it's completely the opposite to Western "propaganda" where it's talked about as a terrible aircraft.

To be fair, only the MS export version is talked about as a terrible aircraft. In my opinion very rightfully so. (You can find many Arab pilots' accounts online who absolutely hated the aircraft)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 2 weeks later...

No images in first post? What's happening?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Yeah not even 4 weeks ago... Quite recent

DAFUUUQ lol sorry!!! Damn xD

The AIM-54 already uses the improved guidance. That's what got the whole ball rolling on the AIM-7 and -120.

It's not "ED's" per se either: it's an incredibly savvy forum member who got into contact with Heatblur and provided them with his data for the AIM-54, and recently that same person got into contact with Chizh.

Edited by Elysian Angel
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

The AIM-54 already uses the improved guidance. That's what got the whole ball rolling on the AIM-7 and -120.

It's not "ED's" per se either: it's an incredibly savvy forum member who got into contact with Heatblur and provided them with his data for the AIM-54, and recently that same person got into contact with Chizh.

You're wrong, guidance is done by ED and no one else. Only thing anyone outside of ED can change is drag, motor and a few other parameters.

I think your confusing the CFD simulations IASGATG did with the missile guidance logic.

Heatblurr did build loft guidance into their simulation, but they mentioned that they couldn't implement everything they wanted to due to limits of the DCS engine.

So I'm wondering if ED's expansion of the AIM-7 and AIM-120 will enable Heatblurr to do more with their AIM-54 simulation.

All missiles are getting overhauled.

I think you're confusing the CFD simulations IASGATG did with the missile guidance logic.

Ah yes, I thought IASGATG's work would fix it. I didn't realise more was needed on ED's side so it could get implemented correctly.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset