How to Takeoff in the Dora

SimFreak

Actual the thread is entitled "Show your first takeoff/Landing" and not your 5th or 9th try.

Actually it should be the first time you successfully took off, or it would say "Show your first attempt at takeoff/landing". ;) :joystick:

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

I made a video showing my first 5 attempts at taking off. Only one of them was successful. Can you guess which one? =]

p.s. It also shows my first (and only) landing, which was also successful (no flames or death).

Edit, video isn't loading for some reason.

Edited by NineLine
Trying to fix link

Dhaindeoin co`Theireadh e

You only need the "JBNXBjy6ePY" between the youTube tags, not the full url.

I know, I regularly post to the cockpit footage thread, lately I'm just getting black screens a lot of the time. Seems I'm not alone as I've seen more than a few lately.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Since this topic has been made sticky and split up in a Take-Off and a landing one, it's messy.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi All

I've been doing some testing and found that if I use the Cold Start mission I can get the Dora started and taxied to the runway but as soon as I try and take off she goes left, right, left and then upside down. Its clear to me that she is taking off but then stalling and crashing.

Just for giggles I set up a quick mission with the Dora on the runway ready to go. Opened up the throttle, applied small amounts of rudder to correct once she raises her tail and up she goes. No left, right, left crash.

I went back to the Cold Start and crashed again in the same way as before.

Back to the quick mission and can take off fine (OK that's subjective but the point is I didn't crash).

Rinse and repeat. Every time from the Cold Start I crash.

This leads me to think that I'm doing something wrong in the Cold Start but apart from locking the tail wheel in a straight position and putting the flaps to take off, I can't think what would be different.

Anyone got any thoughts? I'll try and post some tracks when I get some time (at work now).

Thanks for reading.

Oh, and just thought I'd say I'm loving the Dora - even when she's upside down :thumbup:

Alan

• ED Team
Hi All

I've been doing some testing and found that if I use the Cold Start mission I can get the Dora started and taxied to the runway but as soon as I try and take off she goes left, right, left and then upside down. Its clear to me that she is taking off but then stalling and crashing.

Just for giggles I set up a quick mission with the Dora on the runway ready to go. Opened up the throttle, applied small amounts of rudder to correct once she raises her tail and up she goes. No left, right, left crash.

I went back to the Cold Start and crashed again in the same way as before.

Back to the quick mission and can take off fine (OK that's subjective but the point is I didn't crash).

Rinse and repeat. Every time from the Cold Start I crash.

This leads me to think that I'm doing something wrong in the Cold Start but apart from locking the tail wheel in a straight position and putting the flaps to take off, I can't think what would be different.

Anyone got any thoughts? I'll try and post some tracks when I get some time (at work now).

Thanks for reading.

Oh, and just thought I'd say I'm loving the Dora - even when she's upside down :thumbup:

Alan

Did you check your flaps position?

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

You are not.

Anyone got any thoughts?

This right here will get you killed faster than beans run through a Cowboy :

(Cold-Start mission parameters)

2ddnV81.png

....especially the Turbulence setting. Edit the settings in that mission and you'll see the difference in handling.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Hi

@YoYo: Thanks for the responce but the flaps were in take off position.

@159th Viper: That was it! Removed the turbulence and she's all good.

So it turned out to be just a bad case of wind! Bet that won't be the last time I say that! :smilewink:

Thanks for all the help guys. First DCS product I've flown and I will admit I'm very impressed, very impressed indeed.

Awesome job to all involved.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for all the help guys. First DCS product I've flown and I will admit I'm very impressed, very impressed indeed.

No bother :)

If you're not a die-hard prop-head then give the Su-25T a go: She's a joy to fly and free with your install.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• ED Team
Hi

@YoYo: Thanks for the responce but the flaps were in take off position.

@159th Viper: That was it! Removed the turbulence and she's all good.

So it turned out to be just a bad case of wind! Bet that won't be the last time I say that! :smilewink:

Awesome job to all involved.

Cheers

Alan

TRy then TO without flaps for such turbulence because it can get you airborne before you have enough speed to control the plane effectively. Try to keep the plane at two points position as long as you can up to 210-220 kph and do not apply too much stick aft to get out of the ground

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

it's no shame to point the nose into the wind until the plane has stabilized.

it's foolish to willingly fly 90° or more to/with the wind in such a condition if you have the space

and skills to reposition the nose to gain lift from the passing wind.

If you can't reposition for whatever reason, LOWER that wing where the wind comes from by a few degrees. This will prevent the wind from grabbing your wing and flipping you over into the wind.

when it pushes your lowered wing half down it will also turn your fuselage a bit more into the wind.

It helps a little bit but the wind and gusts will still be there, work with them not against them.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

TRy then TO without flaps for such turbulence because it can get you airborne before you have enough speed to control the plane effectively. Try to keep the plane at two points position as long as you can up to 210-220 kph and do not apply too much stick aft to get out of the ground

nice tip Yo-Yo....exactly what i do for wind too........no flaps until enough speed is built up and the quicker i get up on two wheels the better.....:thumbup:

Edited by TwilightZone

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

I tried taking off today, it ended in four fireballs before I gave up and jumped into the Mustang. Surely the real thing can't be this difficult to control?

The modeling is superb IMO(no I have never been a pilot)but our controls are lacking and we have no seat of the pants.The simple but good advice is to just keep up at it.Like racing sims you start to feel what the plane wants to do by subtle cues from the screen.And always think of the control surfaces and what each of you inputs will do to the attitude of the aircraft.

I have always been good at flight sims though and not tooting my own horn here,I have little trouble landing and taking off.Few times I crashed was from not pulling the stick back or the first few times I took off and the subtle cues onscreen threw me and I over corrected like crazy.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

If like me you need to prove to yourself it is doable, slow the time by a factor 2 and it becomes child's play...

This is one of the best tips i have read here so far for those who have serious problems doing take-offs. It helps a lot.

But... i still have some questions:

- Why is it that when the FW190 steering is controlled by the right wheelbrake in the beginning of the take-off roll it goes right (which is normal) but that it still goes more to the right when that wheelbrake is released?

- Why is it that when the FW190 starts to respond to the rudder while roling down the runway, it still increases yaw when the rudder is released (or even pushed in the opposite direction)?

The only explanation i have for this behaviour is that is already drifting while i still think i have it under control. For me it seems it already starts drifting when there is not more then 5° of yaw. It sometimes feels the runway is covered with ice...

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

This is one of the best tips i have read here so far for those who have serious problems doing take-offs. It helps a lot.

But... i still have some questions:

- Why is it that when the FW190 steering is controlled by the right wheelbrake in the beginning of the take-off roll it goes right (which is normal) but that it still goes more to the right when that wheelbrake is released?

- Why is it that when the FW190 starts to respond to the rudder while roling down the runway, it still increases yaw when the rudder is released (or even pushed in the opposite direction)?

The only explanation i have for this behaviour is that is already drifting while i still think i have it under control. For me it seems it already starts drifting when there is not more then 5° of yaw. It sometimes feels the runway is covered with ice...

When you start rolling down the runway and you need to correct the plane back to centerline do not try to do it all at once by jabbing at the rudder pedal.First thing to do is to get a mindset where you want to first neutralize the yaw.So you add in rudder SLOWLY till you see the yaw stop and then you can steer back to centerline.

AND to add to this WHY are you using the brakes to steer down the runway.That is crazy talk! ;) Use the rudder to steer the plane as that is how its done.In a prop plane the propeller doesn't cause enough rudder authority at low RPM's so you will track straight enough until you rev the engine to higher RPM at which point the rudder is now feeling that wind across it.

Edited by wolfstriked

Here is a video of me doing a quick takeoff and landing.Its great as you can learn the nuances of the plane at low speeds by just doing quick TO'a and landings back to back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYVYiFlh7Vg

Edited by wolfstriked