F-8 Crusader

MrDieing

While the reality was often tragic, I hope we can get some of these quirky dangerous planes. More fun to fly something that fights back imo. (F104 plz :joystick:).

In case you are not aware, there is a reasonably nice VSN F104 Starfighter mod floating around.

• 2 months later...

I hope to see some more F-8 stuff soon. Even just 3D renders of the intake! When you guys announced you were making the Crusader, my heart skipped a beat. I’m thursty.

And not to get super off topic, but I did see artwork of an F-105G from RAZBAM. Why they chose to make the dedicated Wild Weasel variant instead of the iconic D model is beyond me. I hope they rethink it before they move to it.

Specs: i9 9900k, GTX 1080ti, 32gb ram, Oculus Rift S

Modules Owned: A-10A, A-10C, F-5E, F-14B, F-15C, F-16C, F-86F, M2000, MiG-29, MiG-21

Modules Most Wanted: F-4B, F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-4J, F-4N, F-4S

After reading Wags recent AMA, confirming that the F-4E isn’t coming in our lifetime, I’m suddenly unhealthily emotionally invested into the upcoming F-8J.

Modules Owned: A-10A, A-10C, F-5E, F-14B, F-15C, F-16C, F-86F, M2000, MiG-29, MiG-21

After reading Wags recent AMA, confirming that the F-4E isn’t coming in our lifetime, I’m suddenly unhealthily emotionally invested into the upcoming F-8J.

What is a AMA?

If we get the J I think we will get Bulpup capability as well. It would be a very cool bird, hope someone can build a Cold War carrier too.

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Wags participated in a “Ask Me Anything” on mudspike. Lots of cool stuff coming up for DCS.

He said it will come, but there are three modules at least ahead of it (one of which is apparently almost done).

How much longer are you planning to live?

What is a AMA?

If we get the J I think we will get Bulpup capability as well. It would be a very cool bird, hope someone can build a Cold War carrier too.

Heatblur is doing the forrestal.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Here's the AMA from Wags: Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but he isn't shutting it down, just laying priorities.

Is there hope for an F-4 Phantom? If so, would it be off the mark wishing that the developer is Heatblur using the multi-crew experience and technology created building the Tomcat?

The Phantom is such a legendary aircraft that we will certainly simulate it. For now, we already have another aircraft (an eagerly awaited one) to work on after the Viper.

HD footage of some Crusader carrier ops.

https://www.facebook.com/SimmerX2/videos/312883212933395/

From what movie is this eye candy? :shocking:

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

This is a restored movie that you can find on YouTube just here. The video credits state :

Aboard the Aircraft Carrier USS Shangri-La, circa 1962, somewhere in the Mediterranean Sea. From the film - Flying Clipper, (1962). With narration by Burl Ives.

3rd Wing | 55th Black Alligators * BA-33

Εις ανηρ ουδεις ανηρ

This is a restored movie that you can find on YouTube just here. The video credits state :

Man I would love to try to land that on a carrier! :joystick:

So steep glide path, high angle of attack and such vobly and unstable landing gear :lol:

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

• 1 month later...

From their Chirstmas update

http://leatherneck-sim.com/2019/12/22/christmas-update/

Finally, an early gift! We have decided to show the very early stages of the Crusader’s cockpit. It is still a work in progress and the version shown in the renders above is strictly for our programmers to start implementing basic systems. Some assemblies may not be modeled 100%.

During the course of our research, our team has come upon three modifications within the ‘J’ variant. Our goal is to model the ‘J’ to its fullest, so we have decided on airframes AFC571 and subsequent, that includes a pulse doppler function added to the search, acquisition and track modes of the APQ-124 radar.

This will give users the options of using the AIM-9G Sidewinder with the new Sidewinder Extended Acquisition Mode or SEAM, a facility which slews the optics through a search pattern to acquire the target, or allows slaving of the optics to radar!

F-8J_Cockpit_LP_000.jpg

F-8J_Cockpit_LP_001.jpg

F-8J_Cockpit_LP_002.jpg

F-8J_Cockpit_LP_003.jpg

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Oh hell yes, super excited about this even though its very early days.

I wonder if the will update the Essex to the post war version that operated these as well. That would sweet.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Oh hell yes, super excited about this even though its very early days.

I wonder if the will update the Essex to the post war version that operated these as well. That would sweet.

Modernised Essex class in Vietnam, full of Crusaders.

cv31-bw-plain.jpg