HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Yeah, I think I’ll leave it stock then, last thing I need is my cpu going up in flames.

I remember with the cv1 it does take a while to find the optimum comfort/clarity combination but you get there in the end. Having given my nose the once over in the mirror, though it’s is far from pretty, it isn’t overly wonky so I do suspect the cable is pulling the headset down on that side

So does one need to be super careful with both ends of the connector, one in the headset and the one in the goes in the card? I tried out my rift s on my laptop with the mini adapter thing and it really did seem like a bad idea and far from a secure connection and quite possible to damage the port. And yeah like you say, if there crap why use them or at least make them less crap

I know your question about OCing was directed at Sze, but as for me, I didn't have any noticeable improvement in performance going from 3.7GHz to 4.7GHz.

Your CPU bursts to 4.7Ghz on stock settings. No wonder you didn't see a difference.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

@sze5003 I’ve got to send it back first and then they will send a replacement, it says reverb pro on the box but I don’t mind :) my one was activating wmr when I put it on but now when I shutdown my computer it takes quite a bit longer to actually turn off.

On a side note did you see much performance gain from OCing your cpu? I’m considering it but last time I did it my temps were getting up into the 90s and I don’t know how much difference 0.3ghz will make

Edit. I had mine plugged into the inatek usb card that oculus recommended

So weird that they are having people send them in. The whole thing with the pro was that they would be able to do advanced RMA's. It's even posted on HP's support blog forum.

I never overclocked as I felt there was no need.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Maybe they realised they didn’t have the stock to cover it and had to change, I don’t know if that was ever a thing here in the uk either. Spend some time in a high street shop here and you’ll soon realise customer service is not our speciality haha

My 8700k is 4.7ghz so I just assumed. :)

Maybe they realised they didn’t have the stock to cover it and had to change, I don’t know if that was ever a thing here in the uk either. Spend some time in a high street shop here and you’ll soon realise customer service is not our speciality haha

My 8700k is 4.7ghz so I just assumed. :)

HP sent me a new one just a few weeks ago. They didn't have immediate stock so I had to wait a week or so. I did mention what the product manager said on the Reddit thread re the Pro unit though. I get the feeling the HP support staff know very little about the Reverb and the processes to support it. Not saying they weren't helpful, they were, just lacking in knowledge in my view. Couldn't fault the service but you probably need to guide the staff to the process if you want a unit sent out before sending yours off.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

HP sent me a new one just a few weeks ago. They didn't have immediate stock so I had to wait a week or so. I did mention what the product manager said on the Reddit thread re the Pro unit though. I get the feeling the HP support staff know very little about the Reverb and the processes to support it. Not saying they weren't helpful, they were, just lacking in knowledge in my view. Couldn't fault the service but you probably need to guide the staff to the process if you want a unit sent out before sending yours off.
Yup this is the case. I talked to the product manager on Reddit and told him they wanted me to send in my original Reverb. He said that was incorrect.

I may contact HP again though as this second one has no screen issues but it is not waking up once I turn my PC off if I have the headset plugged into the pcie usb card whereas the other one did that fine.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Just noticed a stuck pixel in the left eye on mine. Wonderful, guess I'm starting the support process.

Also noticed my warranty started on august 9th when I didn't buy the thing until october 3rd so... that's a little wonky. Can't wait to sit on the phone figuring this one out.

Your CPU bursts to 4.7Ghz on stock settings. No wonder you didn't see a difference.

No, but I did see a difference in how high the temps went when I went past 4.7 manually and was doing video encoding. Not sure how I would notice a difference between smooth and smooth. That's why I don't use FPS counters. If my eyes can't see the difference between smooth and smooth, everything else is irrelevant. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Just noticed a stuck pixel in the left eye on mine. Wonderful, guess I'm starting the support process.

Also noticed my warranty started on august 9th when I didn't buy the thing until october 3rd so... that's a little wonky. Can't wait to sit on the phone figuring this one out.

If you are in the US when you call say Workstation support as that's the group that deals with the pro model. Also ask for an advanced rma and see what they say. If you are within the 30 day return window it may just be easier to ask sales to give you a return label and then refund and they can order you another at the same time.

Yeah, I think I’ll leave it stock then, last thing I need is my cpu going up in flames.

I remember with the cv1 it does take a while to find the optimum comfort/clarity combination but you get there in the end. Having given my nose the once over in the mirror, though it’s is far from pretty, it isn’t overly wonky so I do suspect the cable is pulling the headset down on that side

So does one need to be super careful with both ends of the connector, one in the headset and the one in the goes in the card? I tried out my rift s on my laptop with the mini adapter thing and it really did seem like a bad idea and far from a secure connection and quite possible to damage the port. And yeah like you say, if there crap why use them or at least make them less crap

I try to minimize the risk of damage to the most expensive component, which is my 2080ti. So I leave the cable plugged into it all the time, and just plug my headset into the cable when I want to use it. That cable costs peanuts compared to the video card. Even the HMD itself is far cheaper to replace.

When you connect the cable to your headset, I have found that being sensitive to how smoothly and easily it plugs in prevents a lot of the hiccups associated with that DP style connector. All it takes is the slightest misalignment when plugging it in, and you'll freak the headset out to the point where you'll need to unplug it and let it rest for a little while so everything can discharge and get happy again. So, just always remember to shoot for a smooth plug-in. If you feel any resistance or drag at all, just back it off and try again until it slides in and clicks into place easily.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

If you are in the US when you call say Workstation support as that's the group that deals with the pro model. Also ask for an advanced rma and see what they say. If you are within the 30 day return window it may just be easier to ask sales to give you a return label and then refund and they can order you another at the same time.

I was worried but they punted me over to Omen premium support and the guy handled it without any issue. Getting an advance replacement and I didn't buy a pro, and they're fixing the warranty date too. Can't complain at all about that level of service I was expecting a mess.

I was worried but they punted me over to Omen premium support and the guy handled it without any issue. Getting an advance replacement and I didn't buy a pro, and they're fixing the warranty date too. Can't complain at all about that level of service I was expecting a mess.
Oh wow that's better support than I received. Did you specifically ask for the omen support group?

That's good to know. I may contact them if I keep seeing that my headset won't turn on unless I replug it after I shut down the PC. Don't see why I need to have it plugged into the motherboard USB for it to wake up after a full shutdown of the computer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I don't think HP will continue to sell this VR headset for much longer IMO. With all the returns it's just not worth the hassle for them and I think that's why you see them sourcing parts for returns now. That's a real shame because we won't see another VR headset with this resolution for a good few years now. HTC Oculus and Valve want numbers in VR and are not interested in higher resolution headsets that require higher end graphics cards.

There is always going to be slight problems with a headset with the HP Reverb's resolution and cheap price. Most of that cost will have been for the high resolution displays. I don't know I just think if people can't live with some of the problems, then it's not a product HP can continue to sell I don't think.

I had a couple of issues with mine that I seem to have fixed now because mine to was on it's way back if not. I purchased a powered usb hub like I mentioned earlier in this thread and I tied the connector to the round headband at the back using cable ties. Yes the screens are not perfect for me either, but what you have to remember is that these were enterprise headsets that HP decided to let the consumer market have too. I don't think they were made with games in mind.

I'm really happy with my HP Reverb despite some flaws. Because I know if HP stop selling these then I'm pretty much left with the crappy resolution of a Rift S and I won't see another headset like this for a good few years. I just hope HP can continue to sell them despite all the returns.

Edited by joebloggs

It’s probably been mentioned before, but if the headset won’t wake up rather than physically disconnecting, just go to Device Manager-right click the headset and disable then re-enable it. Works every time for me.

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

I don't think HP will continue to sell this VR headset for much longer IMO. With all the returns it's just not worth the hassle for them and I think that's why you see them sourcing parts for returns now. That's a real shame because we won't see another VR headset with this resolution for a good few years now. HTC Oculus and Valve want numbers in VR and are not interested in higher resolution headsets that require higher end graphics cards.

There is always going to be slight problems with a headset with the HP Reverb's resolution and cheap price. Most of that cost will have been for the high resolution displays. I don't know I just think if people can't live with some of the problems, then it's not a product HP can continue to sell I don't think.

I had a couple of issues with mine that I seem to have fixed now because mine to was on it's way back if not. I purchased a powered usb hub like I mentioned earlier in this thread and I tied the connector to the round headband at the back using cable ties. Yes the screens are not perfect for me either, but what you have to remember is that these were enterprise headsets that HP decided to let the consumer market have too. I don't think they were made with games in mind.

I'm really happy with my HP Reverb despite some flaws. Because I know if HP stop selling these then I'm pretty much left with the crappy resolution of a Rift S and I won't see another headset like this for a good few years. I just hope HP can continue to sell them despite all the returns.

I think it depends on their strategy for business users. They may feel compelled to have a toe in the water in this tech and have huge research budgets such that keeping a dept for VR is negligible. There seems little focus on the consumer market for which it seems a by-product hence the lack of knowledge of support staff. For businesses an account manager would sort this stuff out and the business users won't see what we see!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I just saw the Varjo Hmd with eye tracking, good resolution by specs but a limited FOV and pricey for gamers market.

The technology features in the Varjo can be improved upon, scaled and trickle down to us the wider market in a couple of years from now.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

It’s probably been mentioned before, but if the headset won’t wake up rather than physically disconnecting, just go to Device Manager-right click the headset and disable then re-enable it. Works every time for me.
Interesting. What I started doing was just opening windows mixed reality portal and that would wake it up. Very odd behavior with these headsets. I guess it's one extra step.

Hello Guys,

I am new here and bisically only here because of the reverb thread.

I usually do Sim racing in Iracing and Assetto corsa and from time to time some X-Plane.

So I have the reverb at home since Tuesday and after initial problems that were fixed by using a different Displayport on the 1080Ti it runs quite well.

Only gripe I have so far is the quite prominent Mura.

It is only visible on light backgrounds and also only if you focus on it.

In X-Plane flying at daytime I can notice it when looking out the window. It can be destracting at times.

Today I will test with my racing sims.

Yesterday I played all the steam VR Tech demos like The Lab and could not see any Mura anymore as it is more dark envoirements.

It was actually real fun.

So far I tested the Rift S, Index and now reverb and overall I like the reverb the most.

Index resolution is So-So with bad God Rays. Had only one basestation because of price so could not test the controller tracking but will be the best possible I guess.

Rift S is not good enough for my expectations. Except good tracking.

The Reverb ticks almost all boxes. If this thing had manual IPD and no Mura it would be so nice. Of course WMR tracking lacks behind but for my needs it seems enough.

Now I wonder if I should resend and reorder it in order to maybe minimize Mura. (But possibly risk dead pixels or anything)

Because other than that I really like it and could not go back to another resolution.

Maybe I am also just too picky. But the thought there might be reverbs free from mura drives me nuts :)

Any expereinces from fellow reverb owners in terms of Mura would be highly appreciated.

Edited by Twisted0815

Hello Guys,

I am new here and bisically only here because of the reverb thread.

I usually do Sim racing in Iracing and Assetto corsa and from time to time some X-Plane.

So I have the reverb at home since Tuesday and after initial problems that were fixed by using a different Displayport on the 1080Ti it runs quite well.

Only gripe I have so far is the quite prominent Mura.

It is only visible on light backgrounds and also only if you focus on it.

In X-Plane flying at daytime I can notice it when looking out the window. It can be destracting at times.

Today I will test with my racing sims.

Yesterday I played all the steam VR Tech demos like The Lab and could not see any Mura anymore as it is more dark envoirements.

It was actually real fun.

So far I tested the Rift S, Index and now reverb and overall I like the reverb the most.

Index resolution is So-So with bad God Rays. Had only one basestation because of price so could not test the controller tracking but will be the best possible I guess.

Rift S is not good enough for my expectations. Except good tracking.

The Reverb ticks almost all boxes. If this thing had manual IPD and no Mura it would be so nice. Of course WMR tracking lacks behind but for my needs it seems enough.

Now I wonder if I should resend and reorder it in order to maybe minimize Mura. (But possibly risk dead pixels or anything)

Because other than that I really like it and could not go back to another resolution.

Maybe I am also just too picky. But the thought there might be reverbs free from mura drives me nuts :)

Any expereinces from fellow reverb owners in terms of Mura would be highly appreciated.

So maybe I'm just used to my Reverb, but can you give an example of the Mura and what negative effect you see ?

I tried the Rift S as well and had the same result. Interesting comment on the Index, I've had people rave how great it is, but I can't see being a lower resolution that it would come close to Reverb

Interesting comment on the Index, I've had people rave how great it is, but I can't see being a lower resolution that it would come close to Reverb

Because there is a lot more to a good headset than just native resolution. As I have said before, in my opinion, the only aspect of the Reverb that is better than the Index is native resolution, and even that is partially resolved by great Index performance at high SteamVR SS settings.

In all other aspects - comfort, audio, FOV, build quality, no WMR, etc. - the Index is superior from my experience. I owned both at the same time, and sent my Reverb back.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I dunno I tried going back to the Odyssey after the reverb and no way I can't go back after seeing how clear everything is in the Reverb. Comfort is fine for me so far and the only caveat is wmr that is annoying. It's definitely made DCS much more enjoyable.

My 2 pence worth, though I’m waiting on a replacement.

I definitely saw mura on mine, and it was more visible than I was expecting, but it’s easy to zone it out in my mind. I was impressed with the clarity but not so much the comfort. But I think I may have sorted that out, and without having to take a hammer to my nose. But having been flying around in the rift s again today as the reverb is back in the box awaiting collection, I must say I really wouldn’t be too bothered if I had to stick with the S and it’s what I will do if the next reverb is a bust.

I actually find the cockpit switches and labels easier to read in the S (I know, maybe my eyes are broken) I think because the sweet spot is bigger, and the mfds are fine too.

When looking out the window it is much nicer in the reverb and those mfds are also nice and clear, I was especially impressed with the tpod clarity.

So in summery I’m certainly not saying the S is better or even as good visually but for me it’s not a million miles away, at least in the cockpit, but I have a sneaking suspicion I’m doing something wrong with the reverb to be coming to this conclusion :)