CA Update - 14 December 2012

Wags

Will the update resolve the issue of the AI seeing/shooting through buildings and trees?

Not aware that AI could ever shoot through buildings. Trees are a different beast. If it is ever fixed, it certainly won't be done inside the old engine.

Also, is there a due date for the update?

Nope, sorry.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
My point still stands - Player Radar was never intended to be a feature of CA. In fact originally the Radar Sams were omitted from player control.

Nate

Nate is quite correct. As it is, the number of new features added to CA in the last couple of months is far more than we had planned. There will always be numerous features we would like to still add, but there comes a point when feature creep just gets to be too much. That being said, a radar display is certainly high on my list of desired features if we do a CA 2.0.

Probably already discussed somewhere, but in the future will we see damage to individual systems and components? For example being able to knock out the treads but the turret will still work? Or is it too complex to model each individual vehicle?

?

"The art of simulation design is about understanding limited fidelity...

...compromises must be made. Designers have to consider cost vs. fidelity and processor time vs. fidelity. Additional trade-offs must be made between graphics, AI, flight models, number of units and more...

...never ask the pilot what he wants to learn because he too will end up building an airplane. Instead, ask the pilot what he needs to learn."

-Gilman "Chopstick" Louie

Nate is quite correct. As it is, the number of new features added to CA in the last couple of months is far more than we had planned. There will always be numerous features we would like to still add, but there comes a point when feature creep just gets to be too much. That being said, a radar display is certainly high on my list of desired features if we do a CA 2.0.

If the Radar display take so long, then ED should try some improvements to bring us something better for the SAMs tracking. The tracking should not be manual. For example if we clicked at F10 over the target to shoot, the tracking should be automatic ( the turret alignments and azimuth should automatic tracking the target already zoomed ) and for stop this tracking mode we could click again on the air target at F10 where should have a menu to select tracking off and so on ( all that is only if the tárget is inside the tracking range ) :chef:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ohhh cooool... I can't wait. What do the green bars above the units represent? Tradition says health but context makes me think ammunition.

If the Radar display take so long, then ED should try some improvements to bring us something better for the SAMs tracking. The tracking should not be manual. For example if we clicked at F10 over the target to shoot, the tracking should be automatic ( the turret alignments and azimuth should automatic tracking the target already zoomed ) and for stop this tracking mode we could click again on the air target at F10 where should have a menu to select tracking off and so on ( all that is only if the tárget is inside the tracking range ) :chef:

I can actually still do without a radar, but this post makes me think that since vehicle driving in CA is already sorta in the same spirit as the "game mode" in the other modules, adding the same or similar little target symbols to the HUD would be a really nice touch, and give you the information you need to be effective without the extra effort modelling different kinds of sensors when so many things are already in the pipeline.

At least I get the impression that's what game mode has from the pictures - I have not played it for I am hardcore you see, and also too lazy to have to switch all the options back afterward.

Edited by Frogisis

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

• ED Team

Here is a brief video of that shows 1st person unit control in Combined Arms 1.2.3.

The first half is of an M2 Bradley and the second half is of a T-72.

Yes, we are not happy with the smoke grenade effect too, but an all new one is already planned, but not for 1.2.3.

Edited by Wags

any chance we can have it out before 6am this friday australian eastern standard time? doing my duty to visit parents for xmas, but they have no internet and i dont want a 2nd mortgage for downloading it over cellular network.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CA is gonna be pretty awesome in 1.2.3. But the biggest issue right now is the multiplayer instability. We really, really, really need a stable MP enviroment.

If you gather 15-20 people and decide to play through a massive pvp mission with both air and ground, the last thing you want is a client disconnect, or server crash. But in DCSW's current state it happens in almost every game. I can't even remember the last time we had a gaming session without client or server crashes :cry:

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

A short hands on preview of the Command Map in 1.2.3

Will try to do some 1st person vehicle control videos tomorrow.

At 1:17 we clearly see that the road is still not fixed, and this is why you have to make the units move "offroad" to make them reach the other side of the city.

Any plan to fix the road for a later patch?

• Like 1

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

Now it is all clear ;)

I can actually still do without a radar, but this post makes me think that since vehicle driving in CA is already sorta in the same spirit as the "game mode" in the other modules, adding the same or similar little target symbols to the HUD would be a really nice touch, and give you the information you need to be effective without the extra effort modelling different kinds of sensors when so many things are already in the pipeline.

At least I get the impression that's what game mode has from the pictures - I have not played it for I am hardcore you see, and also too lazy to have to switch all the options back afterward.

In World of Tanks there are many icons which represent example tank condition, players names, coalition, group and so on.

I would go in this direction but also providing live map for artillery (same like in WoT) where you could see where and what you shoot at. That also with radius circle of range (just overlay on the map).

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I would personally want to see, rather than a generic radar screen and so on for SAM systems as part of CA, a module for DCS World, ie DCS SA-15 or the like.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• ED Team
At 1:17 we clearly see that the road is still not fixed, and this is why you have to make the units move "offroad" to make them reach the other side of the city.

Any plan to fix the road for a later patch?

No, it worked perfectly fine in the mission. Tank group adhered to road follow (green points), crossed the bridge, and then when off road to the set off road destinations (red points).

• ED Team
CA is gonna be pretty awesome in 1.2.3. But the biggest issue right now is the multiplayer instability. We really, really, really need a stable MP enviroment.

If you gather 15-20 people and decide to play through a massive pvp mission with both air and ground, the last thing you want is a client disconnect, or server crash. But in DCSW's current state it happens in almost every game. I can't even remember the last time we had a gaming session without client or server crashes :cry:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98319&page=13

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1623988&postcount=134