FreeTrack installation frustrations!

Cannot get FreeTrack to work with DCS.

Searched forums for FreeTrack installation help -- there are numerous posts with solutions but all seem to be old and none work.

Most advise putting versions of headtrack.dll in files and modifying *.lua file; but the directory paths to place the headtrack.dll and the *.lua files are not the same in current install version of DCS.

Please... any help greatly appreciated.

Thank-You

FreeTrack application working fine. Head tracks perfectly. DCS Version 1.2.16.43180. Windows 7 64 bit. CPU: AMD A-10 5800K.

use facetracknoir. I did it for a year, now i got trackir5, much better. But to practice is facetrack very good.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Thank-you, bboedha68. I know facetracknoir is an option...

but I have done so much trying with FreeTrack it is now my obsession, and I know some other Pilots say they like FreeTrack.

If I can get it to work, maybe I will make a FreeTrack/DCS Guide to help others who are struggling with it.

That really would be a question for the FT developer ?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

AFAIK FreeTrack is pretty much dead project for years now (last version is from 2008 ). However there is a point tracker plugin for FaceTrackNOIR which I can recommend. I've been using FreeTrack for years but about a year ago I switched to FaceTrackNOIR with that point tracker plugin and it works great. Much better than FreeTrack. It can even emulate TrackIR so it works just fine in any game that supports TrackIR.

For example I used to have this problem with FreeTrack that after a couple of minutes the view movement started to lag behind my head movements and it needed constant resetting. I have no such problems with FTNOIR. I can really recommend to anyone using FreeTrack to get FTNOIR and the point tracker plugin and spend one afternoon getting it setup, I think you won't regret it.

http://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/wiki/PointTracker/

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

I currently use FreeTrack simply because I have it working and so haven't switched to anything else. My HeadTracker.dll is located in my \bin folder. I then have a headtracker folder for each aircraft in the aircraft folder with my default.lua file in it.

Eample:A-10C is in DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\headtracker\default.lua

If I get a new module that doesn't already have the headtracker folder and default.lua I simply copy it over from another aircraft.

I've attached a zip file containing my HeadTracker.dll and the headtracker\default.lua that I am currently using successfully. I know some people have had problems with certain versions of HeadTracker.dll.

HeadTracker.zip

Edited by AceKng1

It's exciting to see such great replies to my post for help with the head tracking system: FreeTrack....

I salute You all.

Lansmancz makes compelling and logical case for going directly to FaceTrackNOIR. Instructive and based on personal experience, lansmancz has me convinced a move to FaceTrackNOIR is innevitable.... either NOW, or

AFTER I give this FreeTrack another try! :doh:

AceKng1 has it cooking! So, for sake of not surrendering I am going to try... then FT..Noir, here I come!

OpenTrack... amigastar, Thanks for that... I did go to the GitHub URL; I was intimidated by not seeing clear Installer... my inexperience shows.

Again... thanks All for help. :thumbup:

Please keep it coming. I'll be off now, probably to pester someone, probably AceKng1 first;

then............ :music_whistling:

I currently use FreeTrack simply because I have it working and so haven't switched to anything else. My HeadTracker.dll is located in my \bin folder. I then have a headtracker folder for each aircraft in the aircraft folder with my default.lua file in it.

Eample:A-10C is in DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\headtracker\default.lua

If I get a new module that doesn't already have the headtracker folder and default.lua I simply copy it over from another aircraft.

I've attached a zip file containing my HeadTracker.dll and the headtracker\default.lua that I am currently using successfully. I know some people have had problems with certain versions of HeadTracker.dll.

Thanks Ace... I've followed your instructions here & still nothing. I wonder if I'm strarting up wrong. Do you start FreeTrack, center it, then start DCS World.. or?

Thanks Ace... I've followed your instructions here & still nothing. I wonder if I'm strarting up wrong. Do you start FreeTrack, center it, then start DCS World.. or?

I start FreeTrack first, make sure it is tracking me correctly, then launch the game.

I also noticed I have a headtracker.dll inside a folder called headtracker within my bin folder. Try copying the headtracker.dll into there.

Also, within FreeTrack, make sure you have both FreeTrack and TrackIR protocols selected for output.

Edited by AceKng1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Ive been hammering away at this all day and nothing. I tried using Opentrack and Facetracknoir. I can get the programs to see my headset with three dots but I just cannot get it to work inside DCS A10C. I have tried both 32 and 64 bit versions, placed the headtracker.dll file in all locations from the DCS/BIN/HEADTRACKER folder and the A10C/BIN. The only thing I can figure is IO have something dicked up inside DCS OPTIONS. I reset the TrackIR settings in the AXIS menu to default and have no mouse input for views. Any idea where my problem is?

I tried using Opentrack and Facetracknoir. I can get the programs to see my headset with three dots but I just cannot get it to work inside DCS A10C. I have tried both 32 and 64 bit versions, placed the headtracker.dll file in all locations from the DCS/BIN/HEADTRACKER folder and the A10C/BIN.

Hello,

You really should have started your own thread stating your problem, rather than overtaking a two year old one, so that old information doesn't get mixed up with newer data.

I've tried the three better known headtracking softwares: freetrack, opentrack and facetracknoir but as the latter gave better results on my rig, its the one I've currently installed, so everything I say is about facetracknoir only.

The headtracker.dll was an old way of getting DCS to communicate with facetracknoir (FTNI from here on), the current version does not need it at all, since it can emulate the TrackIR protocol quite well, so I would advise to remove it from wherever you have placed it.

At least on Windows 10, FTNI is not able to save its settings when run normally, you have to tick "Run as Admin" on the compatibility tab of its properties, in order for it to be able to save your settings.

On the FTNI main screen, select Protocol "FreeTrack", click Settings and on interface select "Use TrackIR, hide freetrack", dummy trackir.exe is not needed, leave it unticked.

Now run DCS and it should detect "TrackIR" on its own, with no further configuration.

Best regards,

f8.jpg.d7d0fcedeffd7f9588004c72e6db645a.jpg

f10.jpg.31a091e107eff90c81c6e596b5ca1c43.jpg

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB