Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

No. That is the problem. It just vanishes.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

It sounds like you will need to use the 'Width Offset' option in the DCS Resolution panel. By entering -1024 in to the Width Offset it will restrict the kneeboard to your main screen resolution of 2560x1440.

Okay. I found that my aspect ration was wrong, which ties in with your comments. The size of the screen is set to encompase both of my screens. The aspect ratio was 1:1.7 recurring. I changed this to 16:9 to suit the main screen and hey presto, the kneeboard works.

Intel i9-9900K processor at 4.60GHz OC

Windows 10, 64 bit

16GB Corsair DDR4 3200 RAM

Asus GeForce RTX 2080, Dual OC 8GB

27" IIyama screen at 2560x1440

Oculus Rift S

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Saitek Combat rudder pedals

Logitech G13 pad

Thrustmaster MFDs

Thank you for your response. I have the profile created and the kneeboard moved and nothing more. I haven't changed anything else and I'm missing information from the maps. Here is an image of the kneeboard map from the Viggen cold start mission. There should be a number of waypoints on the map.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9vjwzEyBYe8JhBJeA

Hey Bones, I honestly have no idea about the waypoints. Are you certain they should be on that map section? Do they appear in that area of the map on the F10 tactical map?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Looks like the mission briefing kneeboard is causing a lua table overflow leading to a DCS hang/crash if the mission briefing is too long

2018-12-31 14:12:43.854 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\KNEEBOARD/002-missionbriefing-002.lua:table overflow.

Thank you for your response. I have the profile created and the kneeboard moved and nothing more. I haven't changed anything else and I'm missing information from the maps. Here is an image of the kneeboard map from the Viggen cold start mission. There should be a number of waypoints on the map.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9vjwzEyBYe8JhBJeA

Hi,

i found the Waypoint problem ... :music_whistling:

2019-01-01 12:42:22.851 ERROR Lua::Config: load error C:\Users\xxxxx\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Data/Kneeboard Builder Config/Custom Kneeboard Settings/AJS37/overlay_page.lua:can't open 'C:\Users\xxxxx\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Data/Kneeboard Builder Config/Custom Kneeboard Settings/AJS37/overlay_page.lua'.

after i copied the overlay_page.lua from the A-10C folder into the AJS37 folder...

all things are working fine

please have a look :thumbup:

too much ...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

i found the Waypoint problem ... :music_whistling:

2019-01-01 12:42:22.851 ERROR Lua::Config: load error C:\Users\xxxxx\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Data/Kneeboard Builder Config/Custom Kneeboard Settings/AJS37/overlay_page.lua:can't open 'C:\Users\xxxxx\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Data/Kneeboard Builder Config/Custom Kneeboard Settings/AJS37/overlay_page.lua'.

after i copied the overlay_page.lua from the A-10C folder into the AJS37 folder...

all things are working fine

please have a look :thumbup:

Cool I'll give it a shot.

*EDIT*

WORKS! Thanks.

Edited by bones1014

Hi,

I used kneeboard builder just to move the default kneeboard as I run multiple monitors. As of late when I try to apply the profile the app hangs and crashes.

I've tried deleting all the kneeboard files in my saved games directory and using a fresh copy, but it is still the same.

Would appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanks

edit, and now the taskbar icon for switching profiles won't show up and I can't find the settings.xml file mentioned in the first post.

Edited by jonsky7

I just downloaded this program for the first time and viewed the tutorials on the main webpage. I have a basic kneeboard up and running for the Hornet, but no matter what I do to the size of the kneeboard it doesn't appear to take the changes to the size (the content I added does show up though). Any thoughts on why the size changes don't seem to be applying?

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

I just downloaded this program for the first time and viewed the tutorials on the main webpage. I have a basic kneeboard up and running for the Hornet, but no matter what I do to the size of the kneeboard it doesn't appear to take the changes to the size (the content I added does show up though). Any thoughts on why the size changes don't seem to be applying?

I have always had problems with this app saving the kneeboard size and location. So, I just use a mod to do that, and use this app for organizing all my kneeboard files.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I have always had problems with this app saving the kneeboard size and location. So, I just use a mod to do that, and use this app for organizing all my kneeboard files.

Hi,

Wasnt aware of this Mod, thanks for pointing it out :)

Cheers

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi,

Wasnt aware of this Mod, thanks for pointing it out :)

Cheers

Yes, no problem!

You will have to EDIT the .lua to change the position and size x, y, w, h...

Here is mine for my triple screen.

dedicated_viewport = {4852,0,908,1076}

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

You will have to EDIT the .lua to change the position and size x, y, w, h...

Here is mine for my triple screen.

dedicated_viewport = {4852,0,908,1076}

OK, I just want to move it to the left side of my Monitor :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I assume the (Integrity fail) means it is going to mess with your integrity check for multiplayer servers? If so, I'll have to pass.

By the way, small world, I'm from the same town as you! Welcome neighbor.

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

I assume the (Integrity fail) means it is going to mess with your integrity check for multiplayer servers? If so, I'll have to pass.

The integrity chech Fail is very annoying for such a minor, non-combat, change. It wold be very helpful if it could be incorporated under \Saved Games\ changes or excluded from the integrity check altogether.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Yes, it's dumb, but that change fails the MP Integrity check.

KBB doesn't look at the pages you have added for your customer KB to determine the window size. That wouldn't really be possible, because you could add pages of various sizes, and KBB only has a fixed sizes window.

So you have to so some home work in setting up a customer KB in insuring all the pages you include have the same dimensions. Also, you should consider that the standard pages added by DCS automatically --the maps and airfield info pages-- already have their own standard size. If the window you define doesn't match those pages, their display will be stretched and/shrunk to fit your window while in the mission.

To determine the window size and position you wish to use, you have to options -> kneeboard profiles -> modify. Add a profile for the aircraft you will be flying fitting to the KB pages you will be adding. Activate it through right clicking the KBB icon in the system tray and selecting the prifile. It will remain active for that aircraft, even from session to session, until you select a different profile for that aircraft, or set it to default thru options -> kneeboard profiles -> restore defaults.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Kneeboard images

Hi all, i have started to use this excellent kneeboard builder, but i am having problems with the size of the images. After converting the pdf then attaching to the kneeboard, i go to fly open the kneeboard in DCS and the images are almost impossible to read. I am using Chuck Owls brilliant tutorials, but i can hardly read them after convertion. is there a correct size these if so how do i achieve it.

Really appreciate some help and guidance please.

Many thanks

Raymin

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6GHz, Motherboard: MSIZ490, RAM: 64GB DDR4, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB, SSD: 3 x Samsung 2TB and 1 x Samsung 500GB, Monitor: 34" IIyama LCD, Joystick: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + F-18C Flight stick, Thrustmaster TCA Captains Pack Airbus Edition, Pedals: CH Products Pro, VR: Meta Guest 2 , Oculus Rift S, MFD: Thrustmaster Cougar, Head gear: Track IR4 and tobii, Chair: NLR FS Boeing Military Editiion Chair.

Chuck's tutorial pdfs are landscape when converted for the Kneeboard Builder are small. The text is hard to read.

If you really want to try and make it work, I suggest editing the files that the KBB extracted and putting two on a page, stacked on top of each other. And then resize your kneeboard as large as you can make it. I did this with one of his tutorials, and it is readable on my triple screen. But it might take up too much space on just one screen. I don't use the one that I made anymore.

I wanted to try and use one Profile for All my aircraft today and so I right-clicked on the KBB icon in the SysTray and selected Profile-->All-->My Profile and received this error message:

Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: path

I checked and edited that profile and tested it several times in my Stock game and the Alpha with the same results.

Both copies of KBB throw that error and then crash ever time. Attached is my Event Log for this error. Thanks. ;-)

Thanks. Several users are reporting experiencing that problem.

Just started experiencing this exact same thing - seems to have coincided with the last few OB updates but that may just be coincidental.

Tested making a size and position profile for an individual airframe and it didn't throw any errors.

Any thoughts?

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

I gave up using KBB for placing & sizing the kneeboard. It does everything else fine for me. I use my mod that I posted above.

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

I gave up using KBB for placing & sizing the kneeboard. It does everything else fine for me. I use my mod that I posted above.

Thanks Snako, I'll give it a look-in if all else fails...

The only rub for me is that it's stated the mod fails multiplayer IC checks, wherein the method used by KBB does not.

And up until very recently, the KBB method worked seamlessly (for my use case at least).

Out of curiosity - what were the problems you were having with KBB? Same error message never went away?

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Are you sure KBB didn't fail integrity Check when moving/resizing the kb? AFAIK they change the same line of code.

I haven't used KBB for that in months..

I used to get random crashes on loading KBB. It would work fine for weeks, then start crashing on load, or when selecting a profile from the systray. Since I stopped using it to size/move the kb from the systray I've had no problems.

Edited by Snacko

Chuck's tutorial pdfs are landscape when converted for the Kneeboard Builder are small. The text is hard to read.

8<

Hi Snacko, are you sure about the extracted pages being "small".

When I check the original document in Adobe Reader -> File -> Properties it says that the pages are "960.0 x 540.0 pt", but the PNG files, which KBB extracts are "2000 x 1125 pixels (2.25 MPixels) (16x9)" according to IrfanView Image properties.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler