How to fly?

nikita_nomad

Wels DCS wouldn't be a great sim for a beginner. But since it has some tail draggers. I'd start with P-51 (which come with 2.1) and a great book https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Rudder-Explanation-Art-Flying/dp/0070362408

I'd argue that DCS is very good for beginners.. all sort of models. Great thing about DCS is beginners and advanced sim pilots can fly the same modules. (maybe not employ the advanced systems for a while but that's fine)

The a10/su27 and so on are easier to "fly" than the older prop planes..right? Sure they have very advanced systems but you don't need all that at first anyway.

I'd argue that DCS is very good for beginners.. all sort of models. Great thing about DCS is beginners and advanced sim pilots can fly the same modules. (maybe not employ the advanced systems for a while but that's fine)

The a10/su27 and so on are easier to "fly" than the older prop planes..right? Sure they have very advanced systems but you don't need all that at first anyway.

You don't find many Air Force pilots learning to fly in A-10. There are stages of learning. If you learn good stick and rudder skills in smaller airplane it will progressively pay off.

It would be nice to have initial trainer such as Sterman before jumping to P-51 or T-6 (modern version ) before flying A-10. But hey what do I know I'm just a civilian flight instructor :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the greatest strengths of DCS are:

1) Flight model simulation

2) Systems simulation

So in any case I believe you should go for a PFM (or EFM) / ASM aircraft, as per the table here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/505/

The Viggen is not mentioned there (too new probably) but that one is EFM / ASM.

Then the question is whether to start with something easy (to fly and understand) or something complicated. Even though this is a simulator so you can make as many mistakes as you like, the more complicated aircraft can be a bit overwhelming in my experience.

The other question is which design philosophy you prefer, mainly with regards to cockpit design. Being Dutch, I prefer cockpits with metric units, because it gives me a better understanding of things. Of course having to learn Russian is a slight problem, but I'm managing...

From the modules that I have, I presently probably like the MiG-15 the most, for the following reasons:

It's quite easy to fly but still challenging enough.

The systems are quite simple, so they are not too difficult to master them.

It has a good match-up with the F-86, but it's also quite possible to fly it against WW2-era aircraft.

And as you probably know, the MiG-15UTI remained in service as an advanced trainer for many years.

Second recommendation would be the Viggen. It has more complicated systems, but I really like the ergonomy of it's cockpit. And it's brilliant at low-level flying.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

@sdflyer

I am talking from a game/simulation enjoyement. Now, if he stated he wants to be a real pilot one day. Then yes I fully agree the a10c is not where you start lol.

Too many threads where real pilots and fake pilots (as me) argue.. so I wont. I appreciate your opinions. I would say we are both correct depending on what he wants out of the game.

love

@sdflyer

I am talking from a game/simulation enjoyement. Now, if he stated he wants to be a real pilot one day. Then yes I fully agree the a10c is not where you start lol.

Too many threads where real pilots and fake pilots (as me) argue.. so I wont. I appreciate your opinions. I would say we are both correct depending on what he wants out of the game.

love

I appreciate your input. I was flight sim enthusiast way before I become real world pilot. So topic about how learn to fly in the sim, and how to transfer this knowledge to the real world is a great interest to me.

Since teach people to fly in real life I just share my 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@sd

I'm jealous man. I wish I had real world experience or could even consider myself advanced in the sim..I can't. As I said, if he was seeking this for a future real world experience, then I am way off base.

From a strictly gaming perspective, I have noticed with my friends that have never flown a single thing in irl or game. The a10c in-game is incredibly easy to fly - as in, take-off/bank/land. I guess thats all I was saying.

I think its like learning guitar. Everyone says learn on acoustic bc its harder and you will be better in the long run. So you real pilots are 100% correct and I fully agree... It is also true that an electric is easier on the fingers and a faster way to get jamming! so its a trade off on what he really wants.

+1 rep sd for being polite..as I am not one to act like I know more than I do and your being civil. unlike some of these thread wars haha

The other question is which design philosophy you prefer, mainly with regards to cockpit design. Being Dutch, I prefer cockpits with metric units, because it gives me a better understanding of things. Of course having to learn Russian is a slight problem, but I'm managing...

From the modules that I have, I presently probably like the MiG-15 the most, for the following reasons:

It's quite easy to fly but still challenging enough.

The systems are quite simple, so they are not too difficult to master them.

It has a good match-up with the F-86, but it's also quite possible to fly it against WW2-era aircraft.

And as you probably know, the MiG-15UTI remained in service as an advanced trainer for many years.

Yes! I prefer the opposite.. point exactly. so if you want russian & metric etc, don't get the a10! haha

I am actually russian myself, so metric/eastern systems woudnt be much of a problem for me :). But since I am so new to this world I keep my mind open for anything and Im in open search. I guess beginings are always the most difficult. sdflyer thanks for the link on a book, Ill read it, I like reading anyways. I also got an old copy of fsx, so ill go over rod machados flight school in that in parallel of getting used to dcs. I think would be the best start for me, baby steps :) Its nice to hear opinions from a real world pilots also. I want to get a ppl one day, but its kind of a dream until better finance times :) SharkBaztard if ,or when I get myself a10c I will look you up for some training/coop flying for sure. I will study tf-51 for now, until I make up my mind about which module to get . Anyway Im not in the rush, aspecially with shooting, I need to sort out my flying first :)

David OC thank you for the links

USMC_Trev thank you for advice

Edited by nikitatattoo
  • Like 1

I believe that its best to first learn to fly one aircraft, and only after you know how to fly it well (take off, navigate and landing) ... afterwards you can start to study flight rules and airport charts. It's like learning to drive: first you drive, and much later you learn the traffic regulations.

As first plane, I suggest the free DCS planes: either the Su-25T or the TF-51. On youTube there are several good tutorials .. for the Su-25T one of the best is this:

As someone who has taken real flight lessons... this is the best advice right here for DCS. The link to the videos is the best.

I'd recommend starting in the Su-25T... the tail draggers in the real world are are a gas to fly, but a pain initially on the ground in a simulator and no one is going to be around to walk you though the odd stick and rudder maneuvers initially. I'd go with the Su-25T. then get some rudder time in a tail dragger if you feel so inclined.

To be honest, I'm not sure if starting in FSX is such a good idea.

You will be learning to fly a different aircraft with different software.

Perhaps not wrong, but I'm not sure that it'll help as much with DCS as actually flying DCS...

Also keep in mind that DCS aircraft are provided with training missions which teach you basic things such as:

- start up from the ramp

- take off

- landing

- navigation

- weapons

etc.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

With that joystick, I would recommend sticking with a Mustang. While I Love the Spitfire more than any other aircraft and fly it almost exclusively, I find it necessary to separate the throttle and rpm to 2 different sliders to manage engine temperature and survivability. Rudder pedals with wheel toe brakes are a must for the Spit as well and it actually suits a TM Hotas Wartog and Trackir perfectly but you see where this is heading on the Spitfire. I started out with a Logitech Extreme Pro 3d as well. I found it worked quite well with an F-15 as well as the Mustang and I feel many of the suggestions here are valid especially as they pertain to less complicated aircraft.

I have as of late also become an X-Plane 11 junkie but one cannot compare apples and oranges. If one wants to learn about navigation, civil and commercial and the non-military aspect of air travel x-plane 11 rocks. I guess it has Military stuff too but it's graphics are behind the curve as of yet. Here in DCS we can fly with near impunity as far as civilian flight rules go. X-plane 11 forces one to learn the actual rules and it doesn't require much stick and rudder flying other than at take-off and landing. I spend a lot of time in auto pilot reading up and learning more and more stuff about it. If I had aspirations of becoming a pilot (too old with marginal eyesight now), I wouldn't pass up x-plane 11 as my second must have simulator.

The bottom line for me is, I must have a daily Spitfire flight in the best modelled. best performing, most realistic feeling amazing DCS World. Both very enjoyable completely different sims. Both, an absolute must have.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

I am actually russian myself, so metric/eastern systems woudnt be much of a problem for me :). But since I am so new to this world I keep my mind open for anything and Im in open search. I guess beginings are always the most difficult. sdflyer thanks for the link on a book, Ill read it, I like reading anyways. I also got an old copy of fsx, so ill go over rod machados flight school in that in parallel of getting used to dcs. I think would be the best start for me, baby steps :) Its nice to hear opinions from a real world pilots also. I want to get a ppl one day, but its kind of a dream until better finance times :) SharkBaztard if ,or when I get myself a10c I will look you up for some training/coop flying for sure. I will study tf-51 for now, until I make up my mind about which module to get . Anyway Im not in the rush, aspecially with shooting, I need to sort out my flying first :)

David OC thank you for the links

USMC_Trev thank you for advice

Good luck with your learning! Let me know if you need some help. After all I have license to teach :smartass:

BTW I've met Rod couple times. He lives not to far from men in Orange County ( Southern California). He is teaching in his C152 out of KSNA. Very nice guy, knowledgeable and funny.

• 3 months later...
Hi guys,

Im totally new to DCS and to flight sims in general. But I really want to learn it, so does anyone can suggest me some pdf/youtube/or any other tutorials on how to fly in dcs? And I dont mean specific aircraft operation, for them there are manuals,as I know. But my interest is in general flight rules, terminology, routines, how to read and use airport charts that are provided etc. Or should I learn from fsx/xplane and apply that to DCS? :book:

Any advice will be appreciated,

Best regards,

N

nikitatattoo,

I have 9000+ hours in the real military, high altitude, jet.

You will not learn easily by jumping into a complex jet, if the jet is simulated correctly.

Go to Microsoft Flight Simulator - FSX - there is a learn to fly section on this.

It is very good for understanding the basics of flight.

Choose the C150 or C172 after some practice.

If more were to do this, there would be fewer performance, stall, etc questions I would think.

Remember flying is about eye / hand coordination with the brain.

You have to first put the information (book reading / theory ) into your brain - THEN go to the aircraft and practice. Otherwise you are just playing a game, guessing, and hoping for the right outcome.

Some have done this in the real jet, and died...

Good luck to you.

• Like 1