ground vehicle units defenses

DTS_Maton

ground vehicles have been using smoke canisters for a long time either to obscure visual location or defend against laser and radar tracking

could we been seeing these in DCS in the near future?:cry:

Ai has that smoke already a long time

• 3 weeks later...

All vehicles in DCS use smoke canisters when hit in such a way it produces damage, unless they are destroyed with a first hit. You can use heavy machine guns to reproduce that on tanks, IFVs or APCs. BTR80 is a fine example.

However, smoke they produce in DCS is very unrealistic in deployment, size, general appearance, range, effectiveness and duration.

Also, many tanks can lay a smoke screen by releasing oil into exhaust.

All vehicles in DCS use smoke canisters when hit in such a way it produces damage, unless they are destroyed with a first hit. You can use heavy machine guns to reproduce that on tanks, IFVs or APCs. BTR80 is a fine example.

However, smoke they produce in DCS is very unrealistic in deployment, size, general appearance, range, effectiveness and duration.

I can confirm this. Smoke shields have been in DCS for many years, although they are just eye candy and have no real effect.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Also, many tanks can lay a smoke screen by releasing oil into exhaust.

Hi All,

Just to confirm YES smoke screens are used by vehicles in DCS, but for clarity, NOT by ALL vehicles.....eg T55, BMD1, are just two examples that do not produce a smoke screen as cover. I know this from producing the lua files for the upcoming FV107 Scimitar Mod which will use smoke as a screen.

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The smoke launchers are there just to teach pilots that it was launched.... Nothing else. No effect or purpose.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Of course, only vehicles equipped with smoke canisters can launch them. ;)

In real life, T-55 and T-72 can produce thick white smoke though exhausts, which isn't modeled in DCS. Proper implementation of smoke would reduce target acquisition visually, and by laser and IR sensors.