Remove static HUD reflection textures

johnv2pt0

These are supposed to increase immersion, but now with 6dof cockpits it's very annoying. No matter what direction you look at the hud, in any light condition, and now especially with the new lighting system you get the same overlay texture that impedes your visibility. We are already handicapped in many ways just by way of this being a simulation on a 2d screen so "baking in" more handicaps increases frustration instead of immersion.

My preference to remedy this would be:

1. Get rid of them completely

2. Add an option to disable them.

3. Make them actual reflections meaning they're only there under the right circumstances (probably increasing cpu/gpu workload).

Thanks for your consideration ~

What A/C are you talking about? Screenshot would be nice to understand what are you talking about...

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to check on this thread. Here are a few. It's more egregious on some aircraft than others and right now the new WIP lighting system is making it worse, but it's always been there and for the reasons stated above are unnecessary and unwanted IMO.

UoKPCUL.jpg

JMUQV8d.jpg

RrsWpgu.jpg

x0CPMd9.jpg

As you can see they are simply texture overlays that do not move regardless of perspective therefore you can't move your head around to get the best view of your eye's focus.

What A/C are you talking about? Screenshot would be nice to understand what are you talking about...

All the FC3 aircraft I think...I only really spend time in the 25A/T but the ideology behind having these texture overlays in place, I presume, is the same for all them. This isn't an issue in most modules, but the KA-50 also has a horrendous "HUD glow" going on regardless on intensity setting.

Does not "Turn off cockpit reflections" in the options do what you need?

This doesn't exist. If you mean "lens effects," then no it doesn't change this at all. "Global cockpit lighting" as well does nothing.

Edited by johnv2pt0

I recently encountered this same thing. It is worse in 2.x, yeah. They're way too noticeable and usually not really appropriate to the moment. They're a holdover from a previous era and need to go.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 years later...
The real thing seems to have more reflections than they've modelled...

Real reflections on the glass HUD, canopy and intruments can definitely be strong IRL, but what we have in DCS are not reflections, they're static textures. They look really fake as you move your head around in 3D space inside the cockpit. The reflections should at least be PBR-only or PBR with small added effects (the Harrier looks good, for example), if they can't be real-time reflections. With SSLR introduced, there's hope that we'll be able to one day see the latter.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I'd love real-time reflections...

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Su-25A ClearHUD will allow you to remove the reflections of the ASP-17 sight in the Su-25A

Su-25T - HUD Glass Mod will allow you to remove the HUD reflections of the Su-25T

MiG-29 ClearHUD will allow you to remove the HUD reflections of any MiG-29 type

Do those pass IC?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 months later...

In VR this is even worse, it looks like there is a semi-transparent sticker in the canopy or instruments glass.

L39, Mig15 are the worst but the static textures are present in all models

ED are working on theirs - 2 airframes in OB now have the option to remove them

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal