How good is the Huey?

-0303-

I'm looking for accurate flight model, accurate and extensive systems & engine modeling. Are there things not modeled?

Who is the maker and currently responsible for the Huey's upkeep? Is it the main company DCS or is it a third party contractor? I read Belsimtek here and there and am confused.

I'm thinking about getting my first helicopter. UH-1 is the iconic helicopter, so therefore ... having had extensive and ongoing use, there should be tons of loadouts modeled for it.

I want a 'difficult' helicopter. Difficult is not the right word. With a learning curve perhaps. I fly the spitfire a lot because it is a bit demanding to land. Above all I'm looking for fidelity in modeling and systems.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

I'm looking for accurate flight model, accurate and extensive systems & engine modeling. Are there things not modeled?

Who is the maker and currently responsible for the Huey's upkeep? Is it the main company DCS or is it a third party contractor? I read Belsimtek here and there and am confused.

I'm thinking about getting my first helicopter. UH-1 is the iconic helicopter, so therefore ... having had extensive and ongoing use, there should be tons of loadouts modeled for it.

I want a 'difficult' helicopter. Difficult is not the right word. With a learning curve perhaps. I fly the spitfire a lot because it is a bit demanding to land. Above all I'm looking for fidelity in modeling and systems.

DCS bought out Belsimtek so they are one in the same. I just bought the Huey and the KA-50. I like them both. The Huey is simple as far as systems etc. go. It takes a lot of practice and you have to actually fly the bird. It has limited weapons and no INS navigation. So you will either be using ADF a lot or do like I did and buy the NS-430. The Black shark is much more capable for combat and sling loading stuff. But you cant transport people. It is also very intensive to learn to fly. It has a lot of systems to learn like the A-10C. It has extensive auto pilot systems and awesome navigation systems. So they are both difficult in their own ways. Both are a blast. It just depends on what you want to do. Or do like I did and get both during the sale for the price of one.

With a learning curve perhaps.

I suggest you get the Mi-8. It has been said to be the best virtual chopper of all time, and I agree. That thing is just awesome.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The Huey is every bit as good as the Mi8. The Mi8 has more going on in the cockpit, is larger, and requires more patience to fly as it is more susceptible to VRS and you really have to pay attention to your descent rate in a hover. Both will challenge you and infuriate you at first, but once you get the feel for hovering and learn their eccentricities, they will also be immensely rewarding!

You really cannot go wrong with either and buying one will undoubtedly make you want to get the other. Both are excellent modules and the pinnacle of helicopter simulation.

Caveat - there is the multicrew aspect that has yet to be implemented, just don't purchase either thinking this feature will be added anytime soon.

Considering the Huey???

There is an avid DCS proponent who also posts encounters of his on YT...I recommend checking out his vids piloting the Huey...he is rather proficient or seems to be ...although his vids are not tutorials, extremely entertaining including a specific vid of him and his co-pilot "Bob" engaged in air to air combat with the Russian "flying tank"...not sure if he uses the same callsign but on YT is "Hellreign82"---message him I'm sure he would be happy to provide insight

:pilotfly:

Loss of tail rotor effectiveness (LTE) isn't modelled in any DCS module - this means that in a static hover, the DCS Huey is controllable in an adverse 40 knots crosswind, while IRL it'd be about 20 knots. The DCS Huey's tail does 'weather cock' into the wind which some players take to be LTE but IRL, LTE would increase the effect.

Currently the Huey is a little under powered at sea level (has similar performance to 4000' curve) and the rotor produces more lift than would be expected at higher altitudes (10,000'). This isn't an issue for a slick (clean) configuration but with weapons, you'll want to use 50% fuel / 86% (8200/9500 lbs) GTW.

The lower than RL performance and recent EGT damage model causes problems for some missions and paid DLC i.e. Argo, as they were designed to be challenging without taking loadout/weight into account.

Both Engine and Main Rotor dynamics are being reworked ATM.

Loadouts are limited to M134 Mini-guns, M60 door guns, 2.75' rockets HE/WP/Smoke/Illumination and slick (no hard points). It does carry a lot of ammunition though - mini-gun 3200 each, M60 750 each and 7/19 rockets per pod (max 2).

Lots of user skins and missions have been made for the Huey, but changes to DCS textures and .lua script functions, unfortunately broke many old favourites, there's still a lot of good ones but YMMV.

I want a 'difficult' helicopter. Difficult is not the right word. With a learning curve perhaps.

I wouldn't call the Huey difficult - my startup checklist fits on half a page of A4 and getting it started less than 5 minutes, doing the same in the Mi-8 takes about 15 minutes.

Mastering it takes longer but I consider it an ideal starting point as you'll spend most of your time flying, not going though checklists or working out which switches to set.

Above all I'm looking for fidelity in modeling and systems.

This is what a RL Huey pilot said recently of the current FM:

PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS OF THE MODULE

I thing the module is pretty good, it gives a really good sensation of flying the Huey. BUT, there are a couple of strange things going on

1) Rotor behaves weird, with a tendency to overspeed really easy, specially when not loaded (no power applied).

2) Engine: all engine parameters are really sensitive and jump up or down when playing with the collective. Example: you are about to start an approach (35 TQ) and you lower collective (intended 25). All engine instruments will go all the way down (10TQ), you will start falling 1500ft/min and then they will go up (25TQ) without raising collective.

Same thing applies the other way. You apply collective, it will jump to a waaaaay higher value and then back to the one it should.

3) Feels TOO maneuverable with speed. Below ETL and in GE feels GREAT.

Hope it helps, let me know if you need more information!

ECV56_Largo

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

303, the Huey is everything you are describing. When I bought it, I thought I could simply increase collective and fly. I WAS SO WRONG. It took me weeks to say that I actually had full control of this chopper. Even today, I am still nervous to fly it when the weather is so so. It is always a challenge and you will learn something new in every flight depending of the condition of the weather as well as where you fly it. You will LOVE the flight model of this chopper, it is really detailed. I do not see how you would not like it.

I bought all choppers in a "Helicopter package deal" that happened last year. So I have all of them. From my point of view, the Huey is the most rewarding one to fly. I would consider this release as a classic. Also when configured as an offensive platform, it is very dangerous in an area populated by light target.

The KA-50 is also awesome but more combat oriented. I do enjoy flying it as well, but like other reported it is quite a complex weapons platform. Also wag reported that they will update the cockpit and offer a new version later on this year.

I did not start to fly the MI-8 yet. But heard very good things about it. I want to fully master the Huey first.

The Gazelle is a joke. The flight model feels like a 1990 Atari game. Sorry if I offend someone, but that module is not up to the level of DCS. From what I see that you are looking for, you would hate that one after 5 minutes of flying it.

Get the Huey, you will love every bit of it.

Edited by Frag

I took the plunge and bought the Huey a few days ago. It is such a rewarding aircraft to fly. My hovering leaves a lot to be desired but that will come with practice. In just a couple of days i'm able to start her up, do the mission (as long as there's no hovering), navigate back to base, land and shut down.

It is my favourite aircraft in my hanger, even the Tomcat has been relegated.

huey is the best module in DCS :)

with the mi-8 a close second.

what you learn in the huey will transfer to the larger and more complex mi-8. and what you learn in the mi-8 will transfer to the mi-24 gunship when we get it.

so that is a nice transition path right there.

you will keep returning to the huey though. just for fun.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Thanks for many good replies.

Currently the Huey is a little under powered at sea level (has similar performance to 4000' curve) and the rotor produces more lift than would be expected at higher altitudes (10,000'). This isn't an issue for a slick (clean) configuration but with weapons, you'll want to use 50% fuel / 86% (8200/9500 lbs) GTW.

The lower than RL performance and recent EGT damage model causes problems for some missions and paid DLC i.e. Argo, as they were designed to be challenging without taking loadout/weight into account.

I don't expect anything to be perfect but I really want (require?) ongoing incremental improvements to everything ... flight modeling, system modeling ... etc

I'd hate to buy a 'dead' helicopter.

I'll take that as a good sign.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

303, the Huey is everything you are describing. When I bought it, I thought I could simply increase collective and fly. I WAS SO WRONG. It took me weeks to say that I actually had full control of this chopper. Even today, I am still nervous to fly it when the weather is so so. It is always a challenge and you will learn something new in every flight depending of the condition of the weather as well as where you fly it.

It does sound what I'm looking for. It took me a month to figure out the spitfire, was quite nice to finally get it (and silently laugh at newbies completely screw up the much easier free TF-51D). Helicopters are fundamentally different. I don't expect fly any non-arcade helicopter quickly.

It does sound what I'm looking for. It took me a month to figure out the spitfire, was quite nice to finally get it (and silently laugh at newbies completely screw up the much easier free TF-51D). Helicopters are fundamentally different. I don't expect fly any non-arcade helicopter quickly.

If it's the case get it. You will love it. All my other aircraft started to accumulate dust when the Huey entered my hangar. It`s rewarding, fun and you will always feel that you need to master another area of it.

Helicopters are generally speaking difficult to fly. More than any fixed wings. Actually a very good FW pilot will be a terrible RW one. You think the Spit was difficult to land? You have seen nothing.

The Huey is the simplest of the RW modules system wise, with an excellent flight model. Good for beginners in RW.

In some ways, the UH-1H has the least loadout options modelled (see previous posts in this thread). But it does have a hoist and it does have the ability to carry troops, so that makes it rather flexible.

Personally, I find the UH-1H a bit "arcadey" for weapons. Those AI mini-gunners chew through anything on the ground. If you do want something more challenging, turn the AI-gunner-skill down in the Mission Editor.

I found the UH-1H impossible when I first started. It was only the Gazelle that taught me how to fly a helicopter, after which I've gone back and learned all the DCS helicopters. The Gazelle remains my favourite. I know others hate it, but I find it is perfectly okay for what I want to do. But, given what you wrote, and knowing you're coming from a warbird background (I did too), then the UH-1H or Mi-8 is probably the way to go. I think the Mi-8 is slightly better, in terms of complexity of the cockpit, but the UH-1H is still very good.

That said, knowing what I know now, to get started I'd recommend a) making sure you have a good frame rate (FPS > 30), b) remove any "curvature" in your roll/pitch axis controls and c) reduce the Y-saturation a bit (I use 75%). That, and watch some RL helicopter training videos.

I don't expect anything to be perfect but I really want (require?) ongoing incremental improvements to everything ... flight modeling, system modeling ... etc

Wishing for "occasional" improvements, maybe. But "ongoing" improvements is probably a bit much to ask. Sooner or later, all modules get put on the developers' shelf, as they work on other projects. Sometimes they sit idle for years. And, at some point, the law of diminishing returns cuts in, and development fizzles out.

That said, all current DCS helicopters have had an update/fix/patch/something at some point during this year. And, in the case of the Ka-50, there is a major overhaul currently underway.

Mi-8 (Jan'2019) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3764182&postcount=179

UH-1H (Apr'2019) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3880187&postcount=191

SA342 (Jun'2019) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3956646&postcount=35

Ka-50 (Jul'2019) : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3976923&postcount=205

On a similar note, does the Huey have any finicky downsides or frustrations that might scare off a newer player with a cheap joystick?

I want to love the Ka-50 but the semi-random blade clash deaths have made me rage quit one too many times. From watching people fly it online, the Huey looks more chill and forgiving to throw around, is that the case?

On a similar note, does the Huey have any finicky downsides or frustrations that might scare off a newer player with a cheap joystick?

I want to love the Ka-50 but the semi-random blade clash deaths have made me rage quit one too many times. From watching people fly it online, the Huey looks more chill and forgiving to throw around, is that the case?

No the KA-50 is much more maneuverable and has a top speed about 150 knots faster than the Huey. It goes about as fast as the Warthog in level flight. So, yes the Huey is more chill, no you can’t throw it around like you can the KA-50. If you are having mast slapping you are over G’ing the bird. It has nothing to do with your stick. It’s not random lol.

You know what I meant and that is a rude response. Is it possible to move the stick to a position under normal speeds where the Huey insta-dies?

Sort of:

You can produce mast bumping just like in the real bird. For that you need to do some zero G maneuver (unload the rotor) and the pull sharply back on the stick. The rotor will brake off instantly. But that doesn't happen that often and when you know it you can avoid it.

Another thing is dropping the collective too quickly while being in a hover and drop into your own vortexes. If you don't maneuver the bird out of that quickly you'll drop like a stone.

Edited by Elor

Is it possible to move the stick to a position under normal speeds where the Huey insta-dies?

Yes, but it doesn't insta-die, if you've a FFB stick with no centering force and the cyclic is allowed to lie to one side - mast bumping will shear the main rotor shaft when starting up and the main rotor is thrown into the air.

Mast bumping might also be why having Hyd Control and Force Trim ON, is part of the startup check list.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks guys. If the failures are predictable then it sound great.

Sorry for getting upset, but in Ka-50 I can instantly blade clash with so much as 1/2 right stick deflection while cruising (and this is with curves and roll input limited to 70%). It's really annoying.

If you start now fly helicopters go to heuy easy to learn.And then continue the Mi8.Mi8 I think the fly model is very good and it is bigger chopper I enjoy flying more the mi8 than the heuy.For me it is the best chopper and any platform.Gazelle does not worth the flight model.I have not spend time with the ka50.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No the KA-50 is much more maneuverable and has a top speed about 150 knots faster than the Huey.

the KA-50 speed is in KM/H, so the top speed is arount 300km/h or 164kts.

Faster then the Huey? yes, 150 knt faster? no.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

the KA-50 speed is in KM/H, so the top speed is arount 300km/h or 164kts.

Faster then the Huey? yes, 150 knt faster? no.

Good point. I guess I didn’t realize they used different speed measurements. Good to know!