Helicopter EFM Demo

On 2/17/2021 at 2:35 PM, rato65 said:

Again I have to say a deep thank you to nibbylot, who gifted us with this fantastic Helicopter EFM Demo complete Template.

Being far from experienced in flight phyiscs and all the details needed for the quality and realism which is so present in DCS, I played around with the EFM, the luas and some 3D modelling and I am quite excited to find out what is possible. It costs so much time, but it is a lot of fun. So - I find myself now designing a flyable MH-60 Jayhawk....and I had the first dozens of hours working on refining a purchased basic model, doing new materials and geometry, roughly adapting the EFM from nibbilot towards a somehow heavier aircraft - and test-flying and tuning it in Nevada almost each evening - wow, that is such a fun! It feels somehow realistic from what I can imagine, although it is truely not - I can't tell. Certainly different from the AH-6, heavier but not as wobbly as the Huey, but far from the Ka-50, very nice hovering and transitions to stable flight, with corrective actions I know from the Huey.

Can't promise anything, but if I find the time to keep up with this and go as deep as FM physics and +- realistic cockpit, I'll share it.

For now, I enjoy a flyable MH-60, which behaves not to bad if not stressed outside normal flying limits.

Much of work ahead though...

Cheers!

Screen_210217_231008.png

DCS-Stock UH-60a in the back, new MH-60 lift-off.

Landing on the back wheel first, sofar no suspension though.

Screen_210217_231437.png

do you have a download for this mod? i am interested as long as it is in a flyable state

Rato65,

Nice job on the Jayhawk. I also have to say thank you to Nibbylot. People sharing what they have learned only helps to get others to try their hand at improving this game. His efm gave me the motivation and now I am doing something similar with the Super Cobra. Long way to go before it is even close to your model. I can't tell from your pics, but I assume the blades are actually turning. It took me weeks of googling and experiments before I got them to rotate. Still have not found out how to get them to look blurry like the default helicopters.

Screen_210226_163809.png

Edited by HungryCoyote
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 11:36 PM, rato65 said:

Not yet. It's flyable, but that's about it. I want to grew it further before sharing. But thanks for your interest.

43 minutes ago, HungryCoyote said:

Rato65,

Nice job on the Jayhawk. I also have to say thank you to Nibbylot. People sharing what they have learned only helps to get others to try their hand at improving this game. His efm gave me the motivation and now I am doing something similar with the Super Cobra. Long way to go before it is even close to your model. I can't tell from your pics, but I assume the blades are actually turning. It took me weeks of googling and experiments before I got them to rotate. Still have not found out how to get them to look blurry like the default helicopters.

Screen_210226_163809.png

Guys you make me happy showing this ! all that thanks to Nibbylot ! Awsome thanks you so much !

I hope to see your helicopters very soon in the mod section ! I'd really like to enjoy them !

• Like 1

I revisited the Littlebird today in VR and was amazed at the difference the headset makes when youre sliding down canyons or through confined areas. There seems to be a bug with the cockpit cyclic not quite aligning with the mesh cyclic, but it is amazing fun in VR.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

9 hours ago, HungryCoyote said:

Rato65,

Thank you. I agree - this is one of the things I very much like in DCS - people sharing their expertise at that high level. It is also great to see people get inspired - I am looking forward to see how your Cobra will come along! Yes the blades turn on the Jayhawk model, but I did not look deeper for the blurry part execpt that it seems part of the modelling and animation for half of the scale. It seems a second set of blades with blurry look has to be modelled and animated dependent on the rpm, at least on the huey. Somehow that has also to be defined either in one of the luas or the EFM  - which I do not know if it is prepared in the AH-6 demo. As for the MH60 I am struggling with the PBR materials at the moment. I tried tuning physics as nibbylot indicated above, and that works quite well. Takes a lot of time though, and is far from finished yet.

Edited by rato65

Chirpy, well done with the Jayhawk, yes many will be asking for the download, incl me, but, enjoy what your making, in your own time. I have no skills with the PC CAD etc, so take my hat off to you. It's like building a model aircraft, say a vacuform, you have to enjoy learning new tricks etc, and it may turn out as you wanted,  you might have to accept some compromise, but it's your enjoyment. Stay Safe

• Like 1

I was about to post a question about the AH1Z mod - glad to see this discussion and that it's in the works.

We had a great time with the AH6J in the AO mods server over the weekend.  Thanks to whoever is hosting that.  Ive been wanting to fly the Little Bird in multiplayer forever.

Also wondering if I could be of use to anyone regarding 3d modeling.  I work in Solidworks, and could export STLs or the like if that would be helpful.  I know Autodesk is typically used though, and I don't have any experience in that.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 4:46 AM, flyingscotsman said:

Chirpy, well done with the Jayhawk, yes many will be asking for the download, incl me, but, enjoy what your making, in your own time. I have no skills with the PC CAD etc, so take my hat off to you. It's like building a model aircraft, say a vacuform, you have to enjoy learning new tricks etc, and it may turn out as you wanted,  you might have to accept some compromise, but it's your enjoyment. Stay Safe

as flattered as i would be i am definitely not the mod creator. I dont have the skills for that 😉

Le 26/02/2021 à 22:52, HungryCoyote a dit:

Rato65,

Beau travail sur le Jayhawk. Je dois également dire merci à Nibbylot. Les gens qui exploitent ce qu'ils ont appris ne font qu'aider les autres à s'essayer à l'amélioration de ce jeu. Son efm m'a donné la motivation et maintenant je fais quelque chose de similaire avec le Super Cobra. Beaucoup de chemin à parcourir avant même qu'il ne soit proche de votre modèle. Je ne peux pas dire d'après vos photos, mais je suppose que les lames tournent réellement. Il m'a fallu des semaines de recherche sur Google et d'expériences avant de faire tourner. Je n'ai toujours pas trouvé comment les faire paraître flous comme les hélicoptères par défaut.

Screen_210226_163809.png

to create a fuzzy rotor see the attached 3dsmax file: https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZLpUkZLr5IxCWz45y07ka5mPrq2YOvRqLX

Edited by damienntrix
faute de frappe
  • Like 1

Interesting....I can't seem to develop enough power to take-off. Maybe stuck in ground effect?

Also, when I roll over and the main rotor hits the ground it spawns more rotors, which is kind of funny.

Edited by F1000Starfire
nevermind I am an idiot

Finally, after weeks of Googling, I came across the answer to making the blades disappear / switch to a blurry image. This is from the Blender edm plugin Readme.

A VisibilityNode is the way to let an object appear oder disappear with an argument. This is the only thing which has to be animated on an object directly. Select the Object which should get a VisibilityNode in Object Mode. Open dopesheet editor and switch to Action Editor. Create a new Action. Setup Export to EDM and argument. In Object Properties at Visibility there is a property named „Show in Renders“. Move mouse over it, change the value as you need and press „I“ to insert a keyframe. Change frame and the value and repeat. To export the VisibilityNode the action has to kept in the animaton data of the object. The animation data of the object is independent of the animation data of the armature.

Edited by HungryCoyote
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HungryCoyote said:

Finally, after weeks of Googling, I came across the answer to making the blades disappear / switch to a blurry image. This is from the Blender edm plugin Readme.

A VisibilityNode is the way to let an object appear oder disappear with an argument. This is the only thing which has to be animated on an object directly. Select the Object which should get a VisibilityNode in Object Mode. Open dopesheet editor and switch to Action Editor. Create a new Action. Setup Export to EDM and argument. In Object Properties at Visibility there is a property named „Show in Renders“. Move mouse over it, change the value as you need and press „I“ to insert a keyframe. Change frame and the value and repeat. To export the VisibilityNode the action has to kept in the animaton data of the object. The animation data of the object is independent of the animation data of the armature.

hhhh come on just chec any ED model in the viewer you get the answer 😄

MOD Logo - 100.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should definately consider starting your own thread for the Cobra, it really deserves its own point of comparrison rather than being buried in the Littlebird thread, that will also give you a first post you can update to include releases etc.

• Like 3

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I have a OH-6 Loach for FXS that I'm trying to convert to DCS using AH-6J_V0.4 and could use some help. I have converted the BPM files in the OH-6 to DDS but now I'm lost at what to do next. Not sure how big a job this will be but would love some help. I realize the flight characteristics are different but that doesn't matter to much at this point.

You see, I have many hours in this bird. I was the platoon Sargent for the Outcast scout platoon for C trp (air) 16th cav in Vietnam for over a year and would really love to fly this aircraft in DCS.

The folders I'm using are to big to unload with this message but I can email them or share them on my google drive site.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Festus ( My C trp call sign)

As displayed at the U.S. Army Aviation Museum at Ft. Rucker Ala.

340.jpg