Poor fps with Oculus and 1080

annoluce

Dear pilots

I'm a ka50 and a10 user. I recently switched to oculus rift and enjoying the virtual experience but I have serious issues with fps. My rig:

Windows 10

As rock extreme 4 gen 3

Intel i7 2600k

16 gb RAM ddr3 corsair vengeance

Inno3d gtx 1080 founder edition

I'm running dcs 1.5. The tracking is quite good, I only get some annoying judder.

The problem is the fps. The fps is really low as low as 15 fps so not playable. It happens with the kamov of course because I mainly fly low level but also with a10.

All I did is to push "VR" in settings.

Maybe I'm missing some very important setting as I did not expect so poor performance.

Some particular settings in nvidia control panel I should pay attention to?

Some trick or something I don't see?

It is true that the cpu is quite old and could bottleneck but I have it overclocked @4.4 ghz.

The card is as well overclocked...

It can't be so poor the experience...

Thanks a lot for helping me.

Max

Guys,

Seriously, no one is willing to help me?

I keep on reading posts if people running smoothly dcs with oculus and gtx 980 (even 970).

What do I get wrong??

It can't be that I struggle that much with a 1080.

Thanks for your support!

It’s hard to be specific when I don’t know your settings.

There have been reports about bad performing Nvidia drivers. The latest ones seem ok. Try updating.

Also, try setting everything on the lowest setting and see if you get a good framerate. Then start increasing one setting at a time.

Easy mate. Look at the video from jabbers on YouTube. Title is “all things VR” this is a fantastic vid that uncovers many things in vr. Enjoy it and please report back. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Download Oculus SDK and run OculusDebugTool, then choose Visible HUD-performance; mode-App Render Timing. In your HMD you can see what is the bottleneck.

ASRock X670E Steel Legend / AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D / 64 Gb DDR5@6000 MHz / Gainward Phantom RTX 4090 / SSD: XPG GAMMIX S11 480 GB (OS),  XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 2TB, Viper VP4100 2TB, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB (DCS) / PSU: DeepCool PQ1000M / UPS:  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD / Win11x64 / Samsung Odyssey G7 32" / Pimax 8KX and Quest 3

VPC: T-50CM3 + Constellation ALPHA Prime (200mm extension), Rotor Plus TCS Base + SharKa-50 / Apache-64 Collective, ACE-Torq Rudder Pedals; Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle; SimShaker Pad

Guys,

Seriously, no one is willing to help me?

I keep on reading posts if people running smoothly dcs with oculus and gtx 980 (even 970).

What do I get wrong??

It can't be that I struggle that much with a 1080.

Thanks for your support!

Only been a few hours since the post! Also, keep in mind that 2.5 is coming out soon. Some have reported better VR experience in 2.x world. I find 2.x and 1.5.x to be about the same. So there could be improvements in Caucuses when the merge happens. But do look at the All Things VR thread and the video there.

Also compare the CPU/system of the folks reporting good experience. There are significant differences in CPU for example.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Your Sandy Bridge can easly go like 4,4 GHz stock cooling or 4,7GHz on Termaltake or something similar. You also need to manage your graphic setting in the DCS menu and Nvidia Control Panel. There is a lot posts about DCS and VR and how to get 90fps lowering some setting. Make a use of search button ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

i had a 2600K and 1080 also 16GB

it ran pretty descent.

i selected the VR defaults.

but set textures on high

no MSAA

16x AF

shadows on flat.

deferred shading i kept it on, but it would crash on multiplayer.

i ran on 2.1 nevada.

no comments on 1.5, i dont even want to go back to 1.5 (for visual quality reasons)

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Thanks a lot guys. You are really helpful.

My cpu is running indeed at 4.4 ghz oc.

I managed to run smoothly (well, smooth enough so to speak) lowering all settings down. I also set vsync off in nvidia panel. So at least I can fly. I will now start from here and go up step by step. Looking forward to v2 when ed will merge.

This sim in vr is simply amazing. My brain is cheated and I think I can feel the g force during the turns when I look down!

By the way don't know what I did but also the judder has gone...

Shadows off.. all of the shadows.. water to LOW.

you can try my settings. they worked pretty well for me on the 2600K

https://pit.uriba.org/uriba/upgrading-from-2600k-to-8700k/

Thanks a lot. I will try.

It turned out that I had a damn mother board utility that was throttling my cpu down to 2.2 ghz.

Now I'm breathing again...

I will now optimise it. But yesterday I had a ramp start and a circuit just to scratch the rust and I was amazed how realistic is to fly with the rift and how easy it makes to fly, since the situation awareness is so realistic.

Max