Broken HOTAS Warthog throttle pinky switch

Dafiew

Got my switches in today. This is truly a drop-in replacement. I reused the nuts from the original switch rather than the ones provided. The only limitations are my ability to strip wires that small and solder them. The insulation was to soft/elastic to strip with my fingernails, so I had to get a modeling knife (razor blade). It doesn't look pretty, but I got all three wires soldered on, but I didn't bother to put a new silicone glob to insulate. The inputs work find per the game controller settings test.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I guess I forgot to post here. I have a stock of pinky switches that I sell either through paypal (msg me https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=228654 ) or through eBay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thrustmaster-Warthog-Throttle-replacement-Pinky-Switch-/233190636530

It's cheaper usually than sourcing it through a supplier yourself and you don't need to worry about the specs/measurements. :) (ships letterpost but most people get it pretty quickly)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... The first thing you'll want to do ...

... That's it! Hook the throttle up as usual and off you go.

Thank you very much for the instructions and part list! This made it pretty easy to do the fixing. :thumbup:

Took me 15 minutes and 115 EUR (25 EUR for 2 switches and 90 EUR for the tools :( ) to fix this switch.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

• 2 months later...

For people living in Europe, I have found a replacement switch at Conrad (product ref: APEM 5639MA) :

https://www.conrad.com/p/apem-5639ma-56390147-toggle-switch-250-v-ac-3-a-1-x-onoffon-latch0latch-1-pcs-700101

The small indentation/crenel is a bit narrower than the stock one so you must force a bit to insert it in the hole but the diameter is ok.

• 3 months later...
I want to do this, but I don't have a soldering iron! :-(

I've been using a 25W weller iron with no temperature control for a decade. You don't need anything fancy as long as you're using leaded solder.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

• 6 months later...

That's like 40$ CAN for a miserable switch? :lol:

$16.37 but they are not just giving You the $4.00 MTS-1 Toggle, they are also including wire You dont need, and the plastic holder and washers and all the parts

You already own. The wire is very long and copper is expensive, and You would have to open up the entire throttle unit in order to use the wire they include. I plan

now to just find one online and just soldier the 3 wires and be done with it in 7 minutes.

Most of the replacements on ebay are from China and I am not willing to wait until the end of Nov 2020 to get a simple Switch !!!!

This is what Cust Svc sent Me:

If you wish, you can purchase a Pinky Switch from us. The price & shipping costs are as follows:

$16.37(USD) plus+ taxes and shipping as follows:

Plus $7.75(USD shipping - regular mail): Total = $24.12(USD)

$16.37(USD) plus+ taxes and shipping as follows:

Plus $14.46(USD shipping - EXPRESS mail): Total = $30.83(USD)

My ebay switch from china arrived within a week...

Ordering, thanks for sharing.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 1 month later...

I have quite a bit of stock of actual quality (US companies) switches here in Canada  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Thrustmaster-Warthog-Throttle-replacement-Pinky-Switch-/233190636530

You get what you pay for with switches pretty much always (not talking about TM support), the brand matters.   Most of the time ordering aliexpress switches you get stuff that's far inferior to what you get from a proper supplier when it comes to electro mechanical stuff.

Edited by bn880

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 10/24/2020 at 8:12 AM, crash test pilot said:

My ebay switch from china arrived within a week...

Hi, curious a bit as to what do you mean by that?  I'm the one selling pinky switches for the warthog on eBay, and it's not really from China.  The companies that design and sell the switches I sell are US based (American companies), the distributors are US based, and the manufacturing according to their specs is usually done in China, like say Intel CPU's, or Iphone parts.   There's a difference between that and some knockoff China company owned switch you can normally buy on aliexpress etc. 

For example the switch linked above on Aliexpress is designed and contracted by Salecom , a Chinese company. 

1F, No. 61 Wu-Chyuan Road, Wugu District, New Taipei City 24886, Taiwan

You won't find it sold by reputable resellers in the west.

(just saying, there's a lot of stuff Made In China, but it's not all the same, it depends who puts their name on it and designs it / QA's it)

Edited by bn880

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

For anyone here in or around the UK please see my post on how to replace this switch.

I have used a reputable UK based electronics company for the part.

Anyone not in the UK, feel free to browse my repair instructions once you've sourced a switch.