[REPORTED]VR Performance OB 2.5.6

Gripen 4-1

That description of 45fps is nothing like the one I experience. I very rarely see double vision or two targets. It’s all very smooth for me.

I guess we won’t be seeing any more comments from you as you won’t be playing any more!

not really cuz I still play but only on openbeta 2.5.5 where its pretty good. I tried 2.5.6 couple months ago and thats where I saw the double images and stuttering and low fps (and that's an pretty low settings), so I switched back to 2.5.5

I check this forum often to see if people are saying performance is like it was at least on 2.5.5. But still see many complaints unfortunatley.

My PC: 8700K, 1080ti, 32GB mem, SSD

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
not really cuz I still play but only on openbeta 2.5.5 where its pretty good. I tried 2.5.6 couple months ago and thats where I saw the double images and stuttering and low fps (and that's an pretty low settings), so I switched back to 2.5.5

I check this forum often to see if people are saying performance is like it was at least on 2.5.5. But still see many complaints unfortunatley.

My PC: 8700K, 1080ti, 32GB mem, SSD

Unless you test it yourself you will never know for sure, while there are users still having performance issue, others, including myself do not.

It is all about finding the correct settings for your machine and preferences.

The team do continue to work on VR performance, and I am seeing changes internally that hopefully will come to public builds in the future, but again, it will depend on the users settings and machine.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Unless you test it yourself you will never know for sure, while there are users still having performance issue, others, including myself do not.

The team do continue to work on VR performance, and I am seeing changes internally that hopefully will come to public builds in the future, but again, it will depend on the users settings and machine.

thanks

Well I managed a setup I find more or less playable and the later patches provided some improvements. The performance is still no where near the performance of the latest 2.5.5 version. Because of the Supercarrier I tolerate the present limitations in performance and that is the best I can say about it.

Edited by RedeyeStorm
Spelling

thanks

Great to hear working on it still. But it is not true that depends on your settings always. I have preaty decent pc and put everything on the lowest settings. Even then sometimes I have below 45fps. Will not mention about how it looks without shadows.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

What's your definition of a good pc?

But I can get a consistent 45fps without shadows, or msaa... And I known bottlenecked in my gfx card atm.

So I have to wonder what else is running in Windows, what are your cpu and gpu frame times in game, what is your "idle"'cpu usage...

Please understand I'm not asking to aggravate you, I'm genuinely puzzled, why some people get "good" perf and some "poor", also don't get me wrong, it's still not as good as 2.5.5 on the same settings but it is playable, on my rig on my settings.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• ED Team
Great to hear working on it still. But it is not true that depends on your settings always. I have preaty decent pc and put everything on the lowest settings. Even then sometimes I have below 45fps. Will not mention about how it looks without shadows.

Can you post your DCS settings, and your steamVR settings if you use them.

Also your system spec, maybe we can suggest some tweaks.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sorry but right now Im on hollidays and can writhe only with my phone.

But what I can remember - my specs: i5 8600k@4.8GHz, 16 GB ddr4 3200, 1080ti, ssd m2.

Dcs settings like people in many threads talking - most important onece are shadows and AA. AA are off here and shadows are low ( because I cant play without them). Visible distant on low. The rest settings does no matter in geral but I tried low/med/hight.

Steam supersampling 100% (aprox 2160px)

In windows mixed reality i edited line responsible for holding 45 or 60 fps if game is lower then 90.

VR headset: HP Reverb G1 (ordered G2)

DCS open beta updated to the last version. No 3rd party shaders, mods etc - clear vanilla.

Tried to delete and rebuild shaders folders.

My PC running super smooth. Test with OCC or prime 95 for a few hours are ok.

In idle my i5 is about 1% or none used.

Like I said other sims are working great. In DCS I tried many variables and still have problems to achive smooth gameplay during missions. Smooth I mean 60fps in 60HZ Reverb mode or 90fps in 90Hz mode.

Ok I can undestand that engine of DCS is not prepared to VR well so 90Hz is out of reach most of the time (even with 2080ti) but on 2.5.5. Ver I was able to have 60fps almost always. Now it is not possible.

Frametimes... I cant remember right now will tell you later.

Beside - 45 fps are not for me. I can tolerate it but in other flight sims like XP11 or P3d where not fly just over the ground and not fight on close distance. Then reprojection is ok. But in quick scenerios there is always ghosting.

Finger crossed to make further improvements in DCS.

If you have any ideas what can I change on my side pleqse let me know to. Thx!

Edited by gorzasty

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

shadows, i think is what is hurting you here, i have similar spec machine and i can't run with them on at the moment ...because of the frame rate impact

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

And shut down reprojection. It causes the ghosts. I have it off and get (at 45fps) only ghosting when another plane passes me to the sides. I never use it in any flightsim, only in driving games or FPS.

Disagree. Reprojection is essential, in my opinion.

With it on, you should get a very smooth 45fps and I see very little ghosting.

Without it, you get horrible variable frame rates, and horrible jerkiness. Just move (not turn) your head from left to right and look at cockpit dials.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team

This is the puzzle with VR everyone seems to have different experiences with different settings on different machines.

Its a challenge for sure. :)

Disagree. Reprojection is essential, in my opinion.

With it on, you should get a very smooth 45fps and I see very little ghosting.

Without it, you get horrible variable frame rates, and horrible jerkiness. Just move (not turn) your head from left to right and look at cockpit dials.

Well I give it a go once more. I have the Index and reprojection is called Motion smoothing and ASW for Oculus.

In previous attempts with Motion smoothing I had warping/ghosting of the wingtips in the cockpit and flybys (F3) where terrible with planes bending out of shape or ghosting at the nose, wings and tails. It is true that my FPS does wobble up and down all the time but I do not notice this in flight.

Well I give it a go once more. I have the Index and reprojection is called Motion smoothing and ASW for Oculus.

In previous attempts with Motion smoothing I had warping/ghosting of the wingtips in the cockpit and flybys (F3) where terrible with planes bending out of shape or ghosting at the nose, wings and tails. It is true that my FPS does wobble up and down all the time but I do not notice this in flight.

yes reprojection using oculus ASW gave me double-vision too of aircraft passing by, same using Pimax.

I believe the reprojection software algorythm from one headset to another cause the difference in this ghosting...

Don't know what hardware you have as it's not in your sig, but when I had the Index I used motion smoothing all the time without any issues.

What GPU/CPU are you running?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

yes reprojection using oculus ASW gave me double-vision too of aircraft passing by, same using Pimax.

I believe the reprojection software algorythm from one headset to another cause the difference in this ghosting...

Reprojection algorithm with Windows Mixed Reality doesn´t produce ghosting. Facebook and Valve must learn how to do it...

Don't know what hardware you have as it's not in your sig, but when I had the Index I used motion smoothing all the time without any issues.

What GPU/CPU are you running?

Yes I should put it in my sig someday. Busy flying :joystick:

I have an I7 6850k at 4.3 hz hyperthreading disabled, GTX1070, 16 mb ram. I have stripped windows with everything I do not need (2 day job that one). My pc is showing it age so that’s why I am quit content with 45 FPS.

I am using Kegeyts shader mod. Gives me an increase of 15 FPS on average at the cost of MP. Switch it out when flying with friends and downgrading the graphic options.

Yes I should put it in my sig someday. Busy flying :joystick:

I have an I7 6850k at 4.3 hz hyperthreading disabled, GTX1070, 16 mb ram. I have stripped windows with everything I do not need (2 day job that one). My pc is showing it age so that’s why I am quit content with 45 FPS.

I am using Kegeyts shader mod. Gives me an increase of 15 FPS on average at the cost of MP. Switch it out when flying with friends and downgrading the graphic options.

I have motion smoothing off in Vive Pro as well. Motion smoothing makes fps appear to be higher as long as you're flying straight and level. But as soon as you do hard maneuvers, the ghosting is unbearable. Also it causes MFD cameras like Shkval and Maverick displays stutter.

I do not have any jerkiness from moving my head at all with smoothing off. Even when I move my head really fast. It's very smooth only except looking at things moving really fast near me like ground objects at very low altitude. They appear slightly double but it's not that noticeable and far more acceptable than ghosting from smoothing.

Edited by Taz1004

I have motion smoothing off in Vive Pro as well. Motion smoothing makes fps appear to be higher as long as you're flying straight and level. But as soon as you do hard maneuvers, the ghosting is unbearable. Also it causes MFD cameras like Shkval and Maverick displays stutter.

I do not have any jerkiness from moving my head at all with smoothing off. Even when I move my head really fast. It's very smooth only except looking at things moving really fast near me like ground objects at very low altitude. They appear slightly double but it's not that noticeable and far more acceptable than ghosting from smoothing.

And what is your hardware? GPU/CPU, etc.?

Well, I decided to give Motion Smoothing another chance since I never tried it in Ka-50 and damn, it's worse in helos. Ghosting creates this horrible distortion from the rotor shadows. I tried to capture it through the lens with my phone and you can see the distortion on center panel. And the stutter on the Shkval display is also unacceptable. It's staying off.

Edited by Taz1004

Well, I decided to give Motion Smoothing another chance since I never tried it in Ka-50 and damn, it's worse in helos. Ghosting creates this horrible distortion from the rotor shadows. I tried to capture it through the lens with my phone and you can see the distortion on center panel. And the stutter on the Shkval display is also unacceptable. It's staying off.

Can I ask again, what is your hardware? GPU/CPU etc.?

Another changelog and still no word about performane fix... :(

Finally someone did a recording of that. I have that in the loadout screens as well, all modules, also affects the comms menus. And the worst thing, I can't get rid of that in the Rift, even when disabling ASW completely either via ODT or OTT. Proves again that the fps lock indeed is caused by ASW somehow being forced on. When using the Quest via VD, I don't see this at all, but my toaster doesn't handle the higher res of that in DCS very well which is why I'd still like to use the CV1 until I get a PC.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

So. Who's tried out a certain just-released civil sim?

On first impressions two things stand out. At 4k on my 50" TV*, this thing is a huge step closer to photorealism - quite amazing. All my cores were being utilised with a nicely balanced load nowhere near to 100%. My 1080 ti, though, was going flat out to hit around 30 fps with HIGH settings.

I suspect that it is starting to be time for ED to stop beating the dead horse that is ancient, stutter-prone, one-core DCS, and start shifting resources to restart from scratch with DCS 3.0. The much-hoped for Vulkan update, I suspect, is going to have minimal impact.

* Well, I sold my Rift S, and have pre-ordered a Reverb G2, so I'm back to pancake temporarily (w/o head tracking - jeez!). Sure - laugh in my 1080ti's face. Have to wait and see what nVidia's new ($1500 - arrrgh) cards can do.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

i have tried to replicate this, and i can't i can see the problem on your video, when i try replicate it on my system? specs and settings below... (i did add various levels and shadows, but that was the only difference)

What i did find, and i have seen this a couple of times, is that i can replicate it when Motion Vectoring isn't really on, even though it says it is ,for some reason no idea why, I will have a variable frame rate ...even though i have MV on it will be up in the 50's and down in the low 40's back and forth... a reboot seems to fix it.