How can you programmatically determine the Steam DCS version installed?

derammo

Does anyone know of a way to find / extract (with a program) the currently installed DCS version from a DCS Steam install? Obviously there is no autoupdate.cfg.

It is stamped into the start screen, but apparently into the binary itself? At least I could not find it.

FYI:

You previously released at least one OpenBeta that had five “words” in the version number. I don’t remember the build number but it reported (in autoupdate.cfg) something with the format 2.5.6.5xyzw.1. Kind of like someone repackaged without rebuilding or something? Anyway, after we all fixed our parsing code to allow version numbers like that, it was all good.

For our add-on tools (Helios in my case), that just means we will treat that build as the same version on Steam (since Windows version numbers obviously only have 4 segments.) Probably won’t be a problem, since the files will be close enough if it is just a respin. Just something I wanted to point out in case you were unaware that thing was shipped :)

• ED Team

5-part version numbers mean a minor packaging tweak for the build.

There are either no user-visible changes, or the previous build was not working at all in some cases that slipped through the testing.

So, judging from the history, it is safe to use the 4-part version number embedded into DCS.exe.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.