Newbie here saying Hi from UK

Hello all,

Just saying Hi from Northamptonshire, England.

Many years ago I dabbled with Falcon 4.0 and BMS. I have a TM cougar which has been modded with the Ian "IJ" Johnston's Gimbals and Ernie "CubPilot" Smith's hall sensors etc. so is now badged as an Uber II NXT. I also now have a Virpil throttle, rudder pedals and stick base (but I'm currently still using the cougar grip on that).

I was looking to get back into flying the F16C and found DCS World (gutted that I was too late for the "stay at home" sales as £80 for one plane seems a lot of money). So while I'm waiting/hoping for another sale I'm looking around at the other things I may need :smilewink:

I was hoping to find a complete list of the commands and their respective native DCS key bindings but I have been thus far unsuccessful.

I am also wondering which would be better at this current point in time/tech advancement, Track IR5 or one of the VR offerings but again, Track IR is way more expensive than when I last had one and at nearly £200 is almost as much as some VR.

So, I have lots to research while I wait for the next F16C sale :)

Anyway, Hi all and I'll return to my research :thumbup:

Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Intel Z390 MB; Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz CPU; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax CPU cooler; Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super GFX card;

Team Group Xtreem "8 pack edition" 16GB DDR4-32000C18 4000MHz dual channel RAM; WD Black 1TB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME Gen3 SSD (x2)

Controllers

VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VIRPIL VPC ACE-1 Rudder Pedals, VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base, currently using my old TM Cougar grip on the VIRPIL base.

Hi Sky Dancer. Welcome to the club.

Besides F16C I'd recommend to look at F/A18C.

F16C can't land on carrier and if you will decide to buy Supercarrier module (which is on sale right now) you will need F/A18C (or F14B).

Anyway... welcome and hope to see you in the sky :)

Edited by DustyFox

Hi SD

I was looking to get back into flying the F16C and found DCS World (gutted that I was too late for the "stay at home" sales as £80 for one plane seems a lot of money).
It's 80$, not 80£ (80$ = 64£ at today's rate).

I was hoping to find a complete list of the commands and their respective native DCS key bindings but I have been thus far unsuccessful.
I guess you will not find that here but i'll send over a list, macro's style if you want. Check PM.

I am also wondering which would be better at this current point in time/tech advancement, Track IR5 or one of the VR offerings but again, Track IR is way more expensive than when I last had one and at nearly £200 is almost as much as some VR
I don't know where you get your prices from but you can get a TrackIR5 for around 160$ which is far from 200$ and a lot further from £200 (200$ = £127).

For VR you need more then the average PC and you won't get much VR for £200.

You could go cheaper on the TrackIR side by going OpenTrack and a webcam or so. A quick search on the net and you'll find enough substitutes.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thanks, for all your suggestions guys.

Lange 666 - Thanks for that macro file, I've got it copied to my pc now. I'll take another look at those prices. You're dead right about the $80 but I was sure that's what I saw as the current price for TIR5. I'll have another look. My PC will certainly run VR

Computer specs:

Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Intel Z390 (SOCKET 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz Processor

Noctua NH-D15 Chromax CPU cooler

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super gaming OC8192MB GFX card

Team Group Xtreem "8 pack edition" 16GB DDR4-32000C18 4000MHz dual channel RAM

WD Black 1TB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME Gen3 SSD

Controllers

VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle

VIRPIL VPC ACE-1 Rudder Pedals

VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base

Just had another look at TIR5 with track clip pro, Amazon UK £240. R.C.Simulations £180 (on back order).

currently using my old TM Cougar grip on the VIRPIL base.

Edited by Sky Dancer
TIR5 prices

Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Intel Z390 MB; Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz CPU; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax CPU cooler; Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super GFX card;

Team Group Xtreem "8 pack edition" 16GB DDR4-32000C18 4000MHz dual channel RAM; WD Black 1TB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME Gen3 SSD (x2)

Controllers

VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VIRPIL VPC ACE-1 Rudder Pedals, VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base, currently using my old TM Cougar grip on the VIRPIL base.

...I am also wondering which would be better at this current point in time/tech advancement, Track IR5 or one of the VR offerings but again, Track IR is way more expensive than when I last had one and at nearly £200 is almost as much as some VR...

Have a look at EdTracker too. It only has three degrees of movement, but can sort of simulate 5-6 (ish) when going via OpenTrack.

It's not perfect, but I use it and it's good enough for my budget and level of involvement.

It was originally made for Elite Dangerous by a bunch of talented people from Birmingham (UK) - it's pretty affordable and works with a number of games - including IL2 and DCS.

I'd also suggest checking out VoiceAttack - for those hard to remember keyboard combinations.

Hope that helps - and welcome from another newbie!

:thumbup:

Just saying Hi from Northamptonshire, England...

So, I have lots to research while I wait for the next F16C sale :)

Hi mate I lived in Leicester in the county next to you for 50 years..:)

I presume you've downloaded the free DCS base game from Steam, so meantime have fun flying the free SU-25 and P-51 in it while you're saving your pennies.

Alternatively tell your parents you're thinking of joining the local street gang, and perhaps that'll encourage them to give you cash to buy flight sims so you can sit quietly up in your room each night waggling your joystick..:)

Hi mate I lived in Leicester in the county next to you for 50 years..:)

I presume you've downloaded the free DCS base game from Steam, so meantime have fun flying the free SU-25 and P-51 in it while you're saving your pennies.

Alternatively tell your parents you're thinking of joining the local street gang, and perhaps that'll encourage them to give you cash to buy flight sims so you can sit quietly up in your room each night waggling your joystick..:)

:megalol: "Tell my parents" :megalol: I haven't got a Ouija board buddy :D I'm 63yrs old and both my parents have been dead a while now.

I downloaded the free base game from DCS world, I don't have the steam version. :thumbup:

HENRY1491, thanks for your suggestions bud, I'll take a look at those.

Also, I have both Voice Attack and Voice Activated Commands :thumbup:

LOBO

VR is something I would like to get, but with the Index having so many quality issues, that puts me off but the Rift isn't as good as the index for visuals, so it's a bit of a conundrum and I won't be jumping in too quickly.

Cheers guys :thumbup:

Controllers

I'm 63yrs old and both my parents have been dead a while now.

..I downloaded the free base game from DCS world, I don't have the steam version. :thumbup:

You could consider taking early retirement like I did at 60 and go onto Pension Credit and be rolling in cash like I am..:)

PS just to digress- does anybody know if we download the free DCS base game directly from DCS , does that mean any DLC's we buy from Steam later on won't work?

Edited by PoorOldSpike

...PS just to digress- does anybody know if we download the free DCS base game directly from DCS , does that mean any DLC's we buy from Steam later on won't work?

DCS and Steam variants don't seemingly work together. Check the respective Steam/DCS World stores and there seem to be plenty of warnings about them being mutually incompatible. (This nearly caught me out too!)

I'm pretty happy having DCS getting every penny I spend and not the '70%' Steam sales generate.

NB I don't have a problem with Steam, or any other such 'wrapper', but where I have the choice I quite like to support the devs - I guess the only disadvantage is where games are heavily modded, in which case Steam makes perfect sense.

Edited by henry1491

Welcome Sky Dancer!

It sounds like you are in good shape regardless. I still use my old worn out stock gimbal Cougar and ham fist my way around the dead zones and stick weight biases with abandon. If it weren't for my collector cars, F1, and tuning hobby, I would buy the latest tech or even VR. You should be fine!

"Monrning Squadron leader, how goes it?" :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

DCS and Steam variants don't seemingly work together. Check the respective Steam/DCS World stores and there seem to be plenty of warnings about them being mutually incompatible. (This nearly caught me out too!)

I'm pretty happy having DCS getting every penny I spend and not the '70%' Steam sales generate.

NB I don't have a problem with Steam, or any other such 'wrapper', but where I have the choice I quite like to support the devs - I guess the only disadvantage is where games are heavily modded, in which case Steam makes perfect sense.

Hmm decisions, decisions...:)

Another thing- my young nephew got the free base game from the DCS store, so if I want to buy him a module etc from the DCS store, can I "gift" it to him so that he'll be able to download it directly from the store into his computer?

.NB I don't have a problem with Steam, or any other such 'wrapper', but where I have the choice I quite like to support the devs - I guess the only disadvantage is where games are heavily modded, in which case Steam makes perfect sense.

Yeah I suppose game devs have done some bean-counting and decided it's worth letting Steam take a 20% cut.

When I was a dev with Cases Simulations 35 years ago there was no Steam and every penny from our sales went straight into our pockets, putting smiles on our faces bigger than waves on slop buckets..:)

VR all the way. And the Rift S is plenty good enough for DCS. There are better HMD’s available, but, by the time you’ve throttled them right back in order to run DCS anywhere near smoothly, you’re in RIft S territory anyway. And VR is leagues above Trackir. If this COVID thing ever ends, you’re welcome to test mine (Kidderminster).

Hi sky dancer

Another dcs noob not far from you on Cambs/beds border. I jumped in with both feet and bought a new rig, rift s and warthog in the last month. Vr awesome and I couldn’t go back to 2d. Couldn’t resist several modules either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk