Slanted pitch ladders HUD and FPM drift

Zaphael

This happened twice in a row. Once without pulling much G as I was pretty much in altitude hold doing an orbit for about 20 minutes.

The second time was after spiking to 11Gs trying to break into a missile.

Long and short, is the slanted HUD pitch ladder due to over-G effects on the INS or Gyros? It seems like the pitch ladder would gradually recover after flying straight and level for a while, but the FPM would remain inaccurate.

Is there a way to reset the gyros or INS? Or is there an option to limit Over-G damage to them via options?

The second time was after spiking to 11Gs trying to break into a missile.

In the real plane this would have been followed by your wings tearing off and you falling out of the sky on fire anyway.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

In the real plane this would have been followed by your wings tearing off and you falling out of the sky on fire anyway.

In my defence, I was defending against a missile shot. It was a brief spike nonetheless.

So, is there any way to configure the gyros to be non damageable from Over-G? Truth is, as realistic as it is (much appreciate the realism), but us sim jockeys cannot feel the jet to avoid accidentally spiking the Gs. So this "realism" without some form of feedback does detract from the experience.

Truth is, as realistic as it is (much appreciate the realism), but us sim jockeys cannot feel the jet to avoid accidentally spiking the Gs. So this "realism" without some form of feedback does detract from the experience.

I disagree - it adds to realism. As a pilot you should know when and how much you can pull. You hamfisted it, you'll remember next time. It's part of the learning process.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The Tomcat airframe can take a lot of punishment, but less can be said about its INS. If your violent maneuvering dorked the alignment, you can either deal with it or switch to AHRS and RTB if it's serious enough. Bottom line: it's still better to replace an INU than lose an entire jet, so the price of dodging a missile may just be giving the enemy an M-kill instead of a K-kill.

Attitude and Heading Reference Set. It's the backup for the IMU and it has significant limitations. If I recall, heading is magnetic only and attitude is from mechanical gyros that will drift over time. It also hits gimbal lock at ±82º pitch. You can correct errors by holding down the HDG knob while flying straight and level at constant speed, NATOPS says this could take up to 3 min.