Growling Sidewinder: The Future of DCS | Interview with the CEO of Eagle Dynamics

Eldur

Couldn't find any thread on the most recent Nick Grey interview by Growling Sidewinder, so I'll just create one now for those who haven't seen it yet.

As with the [GR] one, I took notes of the most important points mentioned.

Notes_200808_150743_e7b_1.thumb.jpg.a384ef3e816da4dc3fda81179dc0542a.jpg

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Mr Grey got a chance to speak uninterupted! Someone else needs to learn from that... in a thread not too far from here.

The most important things through this interview is that Nick understands the issues with the sim, right from the top to a detailed level (AI choosing it's execution from a choice of templates, not just a single execution).

We often never got this feedback loop, certainly not two years ago. There's two steps to resolving the gaps caused by the age of the issues. First admitting they exist, then telling us its being worked on. Of course there are massive limitations. Where you have leaders who can eloquently explain what the problems are, then you know at least you stand a chance to do the second on the list... fixing them.

I think there wasn't anything completely new for me, but I was pleased to hear that ED aren't trying to artifically balance any of the sim anymore, it's pure simulation best effort. They never admitted that directly before, it was always assumed back then.

I find it immensely reassuring to have the leadership of ED talk and for them to never once say anything even slightly that I can disagree with, that they are aligned with how I want to product to go. That's pretty cool.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Also not to worried about "World Scale"

That would not work so good for ground level op's, chopper op's etc.

Would rather a good balance with smarter ai and good node pathing, dynamic war campaign etc.

That's the market here, mil systems, mil level flight models and weapons. That will move many from driving a sky bus and or have both.

This new engine will help (Speed / Scale). DCS also just needs to get to a stableish smoother more consistent level and some weather.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I also have very little interest in a World map. War zones with a dynamic RTS campaign with improved performance is my biggest interest in this already superior Air Combat Sim. :thumbup: Aside from the weather system we've seen on YTube, I have very little interest in MS's new offering.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I'm not so much interested in a dynamic RTS campaign. I'm not the commanding general in a conflict. I'm just a pilot, a small wheel in the gearbox. I'm afraid the upcoming campaign won't be something for me :cry:

Surely the new campaign engine will allow us to fly as just a small-wheel-in-the-gearbox single pilot. If not, a lot of people are probably going to be disappointed.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I'm not so much interested in a dynamic RTS campaign. I'm not the commanding general in a conflict. I'm just a pilot, a small wheel in the gearbox. I'm afraid the upcoming campaign won't be something for me :cry:

The dynamic war simulation will mostly be a mission editor thing, once you play as a pilot role it should remain the same.

An upgraded DCS Combined Arms (paid upgrade) could be a suitable area to expand the other higher-level command roles and their specific tools and features, this is one of the bigger ideas I'm writing for a wishlist in which "Advanced F-10 View" (draft name)

In my head the idea for the "Advanced F-10 View" came first, but then I had to envision it's correct usage, the ideas in there shouldn't be valid for a pilot-level role, except only what your aircraft can receive from data-link in real life, which would be in a read-only fashion I would think, but this is sort of already there, the SA page on F/A-18C already gives you positions of your buddies from datalink for example, perhaps having those duplicated on the F-10View could be something okay ... but then again is the F-10View even realistic for pilot-role at all?

The F-10View as of now isn't tied into the realism of a pilot-role indeed, or we just keep using it with the god-like "ALL" visibility ... I'm not sure what the default object visibility is anymore lol, since I have it set for "ALL" all the time, that is a complete cheat which I didn't get to try to get myself to de-habit on, due to all the testing I was doing, I wasn't really seriously playing any campaign yet ... keep delaying my purchases of a proper HOTAS joystick.

I did however manage to force myself to avoid using labels, it took almost a year to get used, I fly now completely without ANY labels except DOTs sometimes when testing.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Running the Fighter Collection and founding DCS is not cheap... does anyone know how the Grey family made their money? I am just curious to know. It is always interesting to know how successful families got started.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Couldn't find any thread on the most recent Nick Grey interview by Growling Sidewinder, so I'll just create one now for those who haven't seen it yet.

As with the [GR] one, I took notes of the most important points mentioned.

Thank you for having the time. :thumbup:

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits