How to get Trimmer controls working in DCS?

Elphaba

I've spent hours looking at the software and manual.

So far I have the little 4 way + IN click hat switch on the MCG Pro set in the VKB Device Config app to have Trimmer + / - on Axis 1 and Trimmer + / - on axis 2 with the IN press as trimmer reset.

There isn't anything clear, but I'm doing the plus on push stick forward and roll right axes, and negative on pull back and roll left axes.

I then click 'Set' and when the stick 'reboots' I run DCS.

And I have no trim.

I have no buttons bound to manual trip up/down/left/right in the sim (F5) but afaik, this trimmer in airframe in dependent - it's doing stuff to the center of the stick's envelope.

So what have I missed? The manual doesn't say, and there's no posts / videos I've found showing how to get this to work.

"Trimmer" names in VKB DevCfg software has no relation with trim in games controls assignment, is just name sub-functions of axis.

If this MCG analog (mini-stick) HAT's have their axes in incremental mod, in your DCS plane controls look in AXES tab for trim commands and assign MCG mini-stick there.

because I don't want to use DCS's harsh trim up button press.

I want to make use of the VKB's ability for more fine control of the trimming of axes.

No real aircraft has a trim working like the hat in MCG stick, so you can't use this "feature" in DCS.

It's either On/Off pushbutton, or, for WWII planes, trim axis. But the axis is intended to be used with a wheel or knob, not with a ministick that goes back to centre when released.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

No real aircraft has a trim working like the hat in MCG stick, so you can't use this "feature" in DCS.

It's either On/Off pushbutton, or, for WWII planes, trim axis. But the axis is intended to be used with a wheel or knob, not with a ministick that goes back to centre when released.

Granted I only pre-ordered a gunfighter yesterday morning so won't be testing it until mid January, but from what I gather that's exactly how the 'trimmer' hat works on the gunfighter pro.

You push the trim say pitch down 30%, and the sticks output stays where you set it until you reset by clicking the hat as a button.

Long press the same and the stick should switch the hat to a regular POV button mode.

So it can be bound to the regular binary trim settings.

*edit in italics.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

You can change axis movement on the MCG hat from absolute to relative via VKB software,.

I have my Master Mode hat as trim assignments, press and hold for 3 seconds it then becomes a relative axis for me - I use this for Spitfire gunsight adjustments.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Granted I only pre-ordered a gunfighter yesterday morning so won't be testing it until mid January, but from what I gather that's exactly how the 'trimmer' hat works on the gunfighter pro.

You push the trim say pitch down 30%, and the sticks output stays where you set it by clicking the hat as a button.

Long press the same and the stick should switch the hat to a regular POV button mode.

So it can be bound to the regular binary trim settings.

Hmm, I think you are right Bob! I've had my GF MkII MCG for 6 months and never understood that, or seen any posts on anyone doing that. But in the manual in section 3.5.2 it says:

(*) You can trim aircraft axes which can not be trimmed in reality. Cheat detected)))

3.5.2. Combi modes

Problem definition: how to trim axis #1 (roll) using axis #8?

To resolve this problem do the following actions.

And if you search the manual for 'trimmer' you will see explanations of how the center of an axis (on the stick itself, not in any game) can be changed(trimmed) using another axis (of the stick). So, it's the hardware of the stick affecting another center point of another piece of hardware on the stick. Totally within the stick. Very neat!

EDIT:

I followed the instructions in that section to try and get the Master Mode Vert Axis (Rot X) to trim the Pitch (Axis Y), but couldn't get it to work. The Rot X axis moved when the Pitch was moved, but not vice versa to trim the stick.

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

This right here, OP, plus what Sokol said. You're going about this all backwards.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The VKB manual says that one axis can 'move the center' of another axis. Thus trimming that axis within the stick's hardware. I cannot get it to work. I can get one axis to move another axis, but not move the center point to trim it.

I have posted on the VKB forums about this and am hoping on some clarification. Maybe it doesn't work that way, or maybe it's bugged?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

The VKB manual says that one axis can 'move the center' of another axis. Thus trimming that axis within the stick's hardware. I cannot get it to work. I can get one axis to move another axis, but not move the center point to trim it.

I have posted on the VKB forums about this and am hoping on some clarification. Maybe it doesn't work that way, or maybe it's bugged?

Finally! Someone who’s helping and knows what I’m talking about.

I’ll watch that thread. Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...
Finally! Someone who’s helping and knows what I’m talking about.

I’ll watch that thread. Thanks for the help.

Have you seen this? I have downloaded the new firmware(v.1.95A) and tested it on a default setup and it seems to be working. You can have your hat trim the center of your joystick axis within the VKB firmware.

I have not had a chance to add this to my current configuration to test it yet.

I set this up today and it works great!!

You can even set that left hat up to be like the Master Mode hat in that it also can have a POV and then with a long press you can switch to the axis. And with a short press you can reset the trimmer axis.

So, now I have the trimmer and reset on that left hat, plus 4 POV(8 if you want to set it up for more) buttons. And also the center Master Mode had works the same way. So, I actually added 4 extra buttons to my stick!! And have axis trimmer on any aircraft. Sweet!