Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

UIV

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome to see both VKB and VPC getting busy with giving us new toys. One thought, maybe some day down the line, but as someone who will likely be swapping from airplane/throttle games to space sims and dual sticking it, and as long as the grips are modular, it would be awesome if there was a way to remove the throttle grips and swap in a LH stick :-)

I can dream, can't I?

(with twist)

Awesome to see both VKB and VPC getting busy with giving us new toys. One thought, maybe some day down the line, but as someone who will likely be swapping from airplane/throttle games to space sims and dual sticking it, and as long as the grips are modular, it would be awesome if there was a way to remove the throttle grips and swap in a LH stick :-)

I can dream, can't I?

(with twist)

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-kosmosima-space-simulation-grip

A picture of the WW2 throttle would be nice...

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

Better :)

What are those two finger buttons? Part of the afterburner detent system?

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Right

Is there a switch on the left side of the left throttle lever of the TECS for lighting (like on the TM Warthog throttle)?

Edited by ram0506

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

If those mini sticks click down (in) too, this is literally the PERFECT throttle design. Swap a couple of the base buttons for 3 way switches and I don't think anyone could find a way to complain about anything.

Better

What are those two finger buttons? Part of the afterburner detent system?

Finger lifts for AB. You have to lift them to pass the gate into AB.

All jets do it a little differently (push through, finger lifts to get over into AB and/or idle, push left and then up, etc and some react differently when there is weight on the wheels vs airborne)...but these look like classic finger lifts The Hornet does it a really weird way, but for this throttle it appears to have both throttle cut offs on the palm side and finger lifts for AB on the finger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

also some kind of slider for zoom? im using the slider 1 on the warthog.

Antenna Elevation Control in the real jets, but could be mapped to zoom for DCS (if desired)

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Finger lifts for AB. You have to lift them to pass the gate into AB.

I know what they do in real life, I'm asking how they work here. :)

If those mini sticks click down (in) too, this is literally the PERFECT throttle design. Swap a couple of the base buttons for 3 way switches and I don't think anyone could find a way to complain about anything.

I could find a few ;) But most of it comes from the fact that this unit is stylized after Russian aircraft design, so:

- no USA-style airbrake switch (maybe there is, but I'm, judging based on the screenshots).

- no analog cursor slew. Russian aircraft usually have it on the stick, western on the throttle.

- too few hats/switches to map A-10/F-15 hotas.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Hrm...the TECS looks promising. But in my book, not ''overloading'' the throttle with hats and switches sounds 'reasonable' at first, but i have just imagined how to assign the A-10c throttle functions on this one. And, it seems to me we would be missing at least two more 4 way hats for good measure (one in front and one on the right side). Yes, the MCG grip series has enough to transfer the missing inputs from the throttle to the stick, but i honestly prefer to keep it bound to the correct input device.

Could you post an image of the left side of the throttle? Is there some switch or hat or something like the A-10c's pinky switch? Again, would be kinda the same wasted space like Virpil seems to forgo with their throttle design.

And yeah, especially if you mention 'VR potential' as one deciding factor, then there should definetely be as many hats/switches as ergonomically possible on the throttle so you need to fumble around blindly only for very exotic functions.

Anyway, looking forward to this throttle!

BTW; is that black circular thing on the left throttle a rotary axis for zooming for instance?

Edited by sc_neo

I know what they do in real life, I'm asking how they work here. :)

I could find a few ;) But most of it comes from the fact that this unit is stylized after Russian aircraft design, so:

- no USA-style airbrake switch

- no analog cursor slew. Russian aircraft usually have it on the stick, western on the throttle.

- too few buttons to map A-10/F-15 hotas.

Oh, I guess I'm not sure why the question would even be asked then...what else would they be for? Apologies for the confusion, anyway...

Speed brake switch matches that of the Hornet quite well (not the Warthog style), and the amount of buttons available on the throttle itself is 1:1, with the exception of maybe missing the toggle on the left/outside of the throttle.

8cd003177606c28edc99687ac5121f79.jpg

Again, I don't see anything to complain about.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

When I was looking at this I was assuming that both the index finger and thumb hats acted (or could at least optionally act) as analog sticks/TDC slews; is that not the case?

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig: