Complete A-10C Cockpit Interest?

LynxDK

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys.

Its been a long time since last Update, and i am really sorry about that, but i have really alot going on here, and that takes away some of the time that i would like to use on this project :)

But here is a small Update.

Panels:

My first idea of the panels was to offer 2 types. 1 for use with LED strips for backlight, and another to be used with PCB with soldered LED's on it.

I have used quite alot of time, and materials to find out the best way to make these panels, and also the most effective.

And i have now found out how to make high quality panels. And the backlight is looking really good, accually so good that it gave me the idea, that instead of making 2 different types of panels, it should be possible to make a single type that would work with both backlight Methods.

Dont hang me up on this guys, because its still in the testing fase, but if this works out, you can buy a panel from me and use LED strips for backlight.. and if you later on decides that you would rather have the PCB Version, you simply make your own PCB for the panel, or you buy it from me... and you dont need another panel.

However this is not guaranteed that it will work, but im still testing and ill keep you updated when i get more results :)

And just for the record, the Panel with the back casing, and the LED strips Solution, Looks incredible good, and its much much cheaper than the PCB solution too, but thats just me and my opinion. :)

But of course i want to show you guys some pictures of this.

Here is the panel as it is in "daylight" without the Backlight turned on.

panel_backlight_test_1.jpg

And here the backlight is turned on:

panel_backlight_test_2.jpg

Here you can see how well the panel are backlit, the light source is a single LED strip, with 6 LED's placed in the middle of the panel. Of course there are no switches mounted, and when those are mounted, they will block much of the light, and therefore 3 LED strips are needed.

panel_backlight_test_3.jpg

So here you can see the panel with the switches mounted, and its now backlit with 3x LED strips with 6 LED's in each.

panel_backlight_test_4.jpg

I will make back casing to all my panels, to backlight from LED strips wont bleed, which of course if optional for the buyer, but here you see the panel with the casing, you can see the LED's through it, but it wont bleed into the entire console.

panel_backlight_test_5.jpg

Since we are talking about the Console.

I have people testing the Right Console Prototype that i showed pictures of some time ago. If you forgot, here it is again.

right_console_prototype_1.JPG

The drawings for this will still be free :)

we are trying to finish all the rails, and the drawings so they are easy to work with. And also trying to spot if there are something that should be added or changed.

And along with this process we came around the Corner Panels, that i also showed you guys pictures of some time ago, and these are nearly done.

And they will be available with the Switch Mechanism for the Canopy Jettison handle, and in the left side, the Emergency Brake.

Here is a couple of pictures, they are still not entirely done, but its pretty close.

right_corner_panel_prototype_1.JPG

right_corner_panel_prototype_2.JPG

right_corner_panel_prototype_3.JPG

right_corner_panel_prototype_4.JPG

Its made ready for installing a switch for the Ladder if one would want, but its Optional. The flip Lid Switch Guard are like the rest of the panel 3D printed, and works. The panels will be sold like this, non painted, simply because its too much work to paint, sand and paint numerous times to get the right result, which will add to the price that noone will pay for.

So, its up to the buyer to paint the unit if they want. A Guide on how to do so will be made, there are some different ways to make these look good.

Thats all for now guys... if i forgot something, ill post again later, and as allways, if you have questions, Fire Away.

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

It's coming along very nicely Lynx. Is it just me or should those switches be covered more in the Elec panel? eitherway, that looks like a great solution.

(P.S: Dibs on the ejection seat as the next project, haha.)

It all really takes a long time to get right, and i dont want to release products that arent fully tested :)

when you say the switches should be covered more? im guessing you mean that the backlight shouldnt bleed into the hole of the switch.

Your right, if i remember correctly KLaFaille posted pictures of a real ELC Panel with the backlight, and there the backlight didnt bleed...

Thats easily fixed when im painting the panels... so i can cover that up.

However im not sure if all panels are like that, because in a F-16 Fx. Allmost every panel have light bleeding into the switch holes.... also the CMSP Panel.

But if someone knows which panels does that, im very interested in knowing, so we can get that little detail right too :)

The ACESII, i am able to measure the F-16 seat, Which i then modify with the right angles etc. so hang on... its the time that is my biggest enemy these days :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

• 4 weeks later...

I'm up for a full ACES sear or the seat pan and seatback

Sent from my SM-A500M using Tapatalk

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

• 1 month later...

Thank you, its All fixed :)

There will soon be another Update, and im going to announce the first couple of panels ready for sale.

Also i will be telling abit about how we plan to Wire all of the panels to the Computer, via 3 Control Boxes, MIP, Left Console and Right Console.

Until that, i, going to finish the back casings of the panels that will be ready for purchase.

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

I thought i wanted to show you a picture, as a little "teaser" before the Upcomming Update.

lighting_panel_back_teaser.JPG

The picture is showing the bottom of the Casing to the Lighting Panel, where you can connect all the panels and instruments in the cockpit.

From there you will be able to dimmer it all, both in the Sim Cockpit and in DCS simultaneously.

Its housing 6 Dimmer Modules, and a small fan is mounted to insure its not getting too hot.

The Output to the Computer is a VGA Connector, so we intend to Wire it all via VGA Cables. A control Unit which this can be Wired to will be available at a later state. But we will of course release a documentation which tell which pin is connected to what.

This is one of the panels which will be announced ready for sale in the Update.

Thats it for now, the rest will come soon.

Edited by LynxDK

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

Looking food Lynx. Not by the pit at the moment butik seem to recall one of the real panels using about 1A at 5VDC for glow bulbs. Butik 12VDC and 10A Sound like a lot considering LED's areal under for back light ?

Keep up the good work Sir

Cheers

Hans

Looking food Lynx. Not by the pit at the moment butik seem to recall one of the real panels using about 1A at 5VDC for glow bulbs. Butik 12VDC and 10A Sound like a lot considering LED's areal under for back light ?

Keep up the good work Sir

Cheers

Hans

Thank you Hans :)

You are right that the Real Panels are not Using 12V, we chose to use 12V because the Backlight on our Panels are made with 12V LED Strips. That means that everyone can make it very easy, and they dont nessesarily have to buy it from us.

The 10A in Total for the consoles, gives you 5A to each side, and if you count all the LED strips, which are installed in Every Panel like they are in our CUB's, then it adds up pretty fast.

We have written the 10A MAX as this is the maximum the Lighting Panel can Support. But this means of Course that this is not for Real Panels backlight, its only for our Panels, or if people want to make their own by using LED Strips.

Hope this helped abit :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

LynxDK, I have some of those LED strips! Very interested in the power supply. So the computer uses VGA and treats it like a monitor? Or do you mean you'll have a separate card that uses VGA connector? I can't see how one would configure it if it's the former.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The VGA connectors is just our choise of Connection between the Panels and the Control box.

The Control Box will be available when we have all the panels ready, we would like to release if sooner, but we simply cant because we have to make sure everything works out. There will be a Control Box for the right Console, a console box for the Left Console, a Control Box for the MIP and a Control box for the ACESII.

But Basically you would hook things up like this, lets Take the Right Console as an Example.

From computer to the Right Console Control Box, you hook it up with a USB Cable. The control box will have arduinos in it, Running DCS BIOS, and on the top of that box you have VGA Connectors that fits to every panel situated in the right Console.

So from the control Box to each panel you connect a VGA Cable, and some Boxes needs more than one.

However, there will be more Info And Pictures when i get the Update ready :)

The Power Supply are also not the first thing to get Released, since we have to make sure we have all the right Outputs before selling it. But until then, you can use Any 12VDC power supply to get the Backlight going, For example a standart Computer PSU. The Power supply we will offer, will be build into a VS1500 Replica Unit situated in the last inner row of the right Console, so it will be a Panel of its own.

Hope i explained it well enough, if not i can post some fast Graphic pics of the controller box, however, more will come at the Update :)

Edited by LynxDK

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

Thanks Lynx.

The Power supply we will offer, will be build into a VS1500 Replica Unit situated in the last inner row of the right Console, so it will be a Panel of its own.

That's a brilliant idea. i think I will replicate that solution.

Cheers

Hans

Ah...got it. I thought it was for an app that would control the dimmer, color etc.

I got it! TY

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys.

I have been really busy these last few months.... with so many things, and i havent posted anything here in the thread, which might seem to you, that nothing is happening.

That is not the truth, and i really want to be better at posting Updates.

So i will try to make a monthly Update on my website, which tells a little about everything we are working on, but it will not contain A-10C Stuff only, but also progress in other planes, like the Huey, F-16, ACESII etc.

Of course specific updates of the A-10C will still be posted here, so even tho there might not be much to tell in the news, if we fx. is still working on the same project as before, its a way to let you guys know that we are still around, and working on stuff :)

However, to make it a little more interesting for you guys who are interested in seeing what we are doing, i made an Instagram profile, where i will be posting images of everything we are doing, and dont be scared, because you will see pictures from all kinds of parts, from alot of airplanes, but this way you get small pictures updates in between the monthly Updates, and it might not be much we post, but pictures of small parts we have in development, or maybe only in the design phase.

You can find our instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/lynx.dk/

We have allready posted some stuff.. and will continue doing so, as its pretty easy and fast, to take a picture and post it directly from the phone.

Anyways, thats it for this time.... i will soon update on the A-10C Ligthing Panel, that one have given us abit of problms with the dimmer modules, as they seems to not be of very high quality, so now we are making our own :)

More on that later, Have a good one :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys.

So now its time for a big Update, where i will try and get around where we are on every project regarding to this Simulator, BUT, before i dot that, i have some info regarding my last post.

Since my last post here on the forum, i have gotten a few messages and mails from people who feared that i have gone away from the project to do other stuff. The reason for that may be because i wrote that the future news will be from both the A-10C project im doing here, but also F-16, Huey and ACESII.

So, let me start by telling you, that im not moving away, the A-10C project is still the Main Project, but i have starting making some small pieces for the Huey and the F-16, and i tell you why.

This development is not cheap, alot of it is trial and error, and that costs, so when people write and ask for Custom orders, or pieces for the Huey and F-16, thats what accually are paying for all this. So no need to worry, the A-10C is what im working on, dont worry.

Another thing is, that i have been allowed to measure a F-16 Cockpit, and that Incluse the ACESII Seat, which will also benefit all you guys. Other than that i can also tell you, that im not doing all this alone, i have my partner who is doing all the electronics, and i have some other people working on the Huey and the F-16, the A-10C is more than enough for one person :)

You would also think, that looking at my post from the beginning of this thread, and until now, i have started on some pieces, and then later moved away from that and doing something other in stead... There is a very good reason for that. If i am making something, and get to a problem that i cant solve, then i mostly put it aside, until i get a new idea, or until i learn the skill to make it, and for your information, thats why the UFC have been delayed for so long, but it helps out alot, when you later on get an idea, or figure out hove to solve the problem you had.

With all that out of the Way, lets get to the Update :)

The Lighting Panel:

You problaly remember i showed a picture of the Lighting panel, with wimmer modules. That project hit a wall when we started to have flashing backlight when connecting more panels to the unit. We found out that those dimmer modules was simply too "chinese" i dont know... but they sure wherent good quality, so we decided we wanted to make out own, and now we have succeded with making a dimmer controlling all the Panels, digitally though an Arduino. The final setup is not done yet, we have to design a final print etc, that goes into the panel Casing, but as soon as we are there, you guys will see it.

Right & Left Consoles:

Some time ago i build the right console, and it was glued together. That construction proved to be very very sturdy, and i have been moving it around the shop, and handled it very rough to be sure it would be able to withstand alot of stress. It passed, and that led me to make the Left console also. Those of you who have been following me on Instagram, have seen the build, but here is some pictures:

left_console_prototype_1.JPG

left_console_prototype_2.JPG

left_console_prototype_3.JPG

When i made the right console prototype, i also made all the DZUS Rails in 3D print, and that i will of course also do for the left console.

Whats special for the left console is the throttle mount, again i have chosen to 3D print that, because its so strong, and saves a ton of time to print it instead of building it from something else, so here it is:

throttle_mount_1.JPG

throttle_mount_2.JPG

throttle_mount_3.JPG

throttle_mount_4.JPG

throttle_mount_5.JPG

throttle_mount_6.JPG

throttle_mount_7.JPG

throttle_mount_8.JPG

throttle_mount_9.JPG

throttle_mount_10.JPG

throttle_mount_11.JPG

The Throttle can be adjusted to different height using the height plates.

The next thing im waiting on here, is the 3D printer to finish the DZUS rails for the Left side.

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

The Cockpit Shell:

Again those of you who are following me on Instagram knows that i have been building the Right Cockpit Shell, and i showed alot of photos doing it, if you guys want to get more pictures and follow me in real time, feel free to check it out, you find me here: https://www.instagram.com/lynx.dk/

But here you guys can see some of the pictures from that build:

right_shell_prototype_1.JPG

right_shell_prototype_2.JPG

right_shell_prototype_3.JPG

right_shell_prototype_4.JPG

right_shell_prototype_5.JPG

right_shell_prototype_6.JPG

right_shell_prototype_7.JPG

right_shell_prototype_8.JPG

right_shell_prototype_9.JPG

right_shell_prototype_10.JPG

right_shell_prototype_11.JPG

right_shell_prototype_12.JPG

This Shell build is Extremely strong, and you are able to stand and jump on it without it braking, and yes.... i mean on the curved top :)

So the next thing i need to do on thin is sand down the corners and edges, fill in the small assembly points, and paint it :)

When that is done its time to put in some details, the stickers on the side, the Flood Lights etc. And of course start designing the Left Cockpit Shell... which will be a little bit different, because i would like to hide a keyboard into the side, which you easily can access when needed to, and then hide it in the side again when finished, it will be hinged, so it will be operational with one hand.

And now to some smaller stuff.

A quick Update on the Annunciators, i will show you pictures, of the annunciators where you cant see the text unless they are lit.... yes they are too big, but that dosnt matter.. its a prototype.

annunciator_prototype_1.JPG

annunciator_prototype_2.JPG

Now we have come to the electronics in the A-10C.

We are making all the Panels so they need to be hooked up to a Control Unit. And we are planning on making 3 Control Units, one for the Left Console, one for the Right Console, and one for the Main Instrument Panel and the Seat. The Control units will be arduino based, and will require one USB cord each from the computer. They run DCS BIOS, and from that box all the panels will be connected via VGA Cables. VGA cables are great for this, because they have many connection, in various thickness, and they are shielded.

And we are woking on the Control unit for the Right console first, and you guys will get more news about that when we have it...

So basically what we need is to find all the small displays we need in the cockpit, when we have that in place, we are able to get it all running, so we know that it works.

The panels are also getting closer and closer to be finished, we are polishing all the small problems that we have run into underway, and at this moment they look pretty good, most noticable is the nice white on black contrast engravings, and the nice backlight.

canopy_control_panel.jpg

As for the Instruments for the MIP, we are woking on getting them Back projected, but we are only getting started on that, but i can tell you, that you can get the instruments to show right on the back of the instrument glass, on the entire MIP, also the Flap Meter and the Fuel/ Hydraulics Indicators. It just look so darn good, and this way you dont have to find various monitors to place behind the MIP, or getting one to sit behind which are too far behind and collides with the switches on the AHCP, Its just looks awesome, there is a couple of fast shots on the Instagram, but when we have tested it more, i will show more here.

I think thats it for now... if you guys have any questions... let me know

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

Wow! This looks pretty great Lynx! It's like the Ikea of A-10 Pit Building!:megalol:Seriously though, it's pretty cool. How thick is your main build? Can't wait to see how it looks when it's painted.

Also really interested in the keyboard build. Will it just be tucked into a hole that you take out when you need it or like permanently mounted or on a articulating arm? Because my keyboard situation is a nightmare! :D

Keep it up and keep them updates coming! Really liking how it's coming along.

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

Thank you guys.

The thicknes of the main construction is all 6mm MDF, but the front rib and the back is 2 sheets of 6mm glued together, so those are accually 12mm, however they arent the same size, so cutting a 12mm dosnt work :)

The outer and inner sheets are 3,2mm wood fiber board.

The keyboard mount is still in my head for now, but its my intention to be able to hide it so it cant be seen, or flip it out so it can be used. It will be hinged, so it can be flipped out and operated with one hand, and again hidden away.

i will have to do some more looking for hardware before i can say more :)

About the Precut Shell pieces, Yes. Our intention is to offer precut packages for all of our builds, the fear we have is the size of the package and the weight. However it may still prove to be cheaper than getting them cut elsewhere, but for those who have that opportunity, the drawings will of course be free for all :)

But we have to update the drawings more, so it will be at a later state that those cuts will be made for sale.... however the Consoles might be up for sale sooner, as soon as we have the 3D printed Rails and hardware finished and are 100% sure that everything fits together :)

The bigger sheets of wood fiber board used for the outer skin, might be too big to send, however that should be faily simple to cut since its a square with a slight bend.

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys.

I have news about the A-10C Consoles i designet.

Both Consoles accually done, and are ready to get shipped out to whoever would be interested.

HOWEVER... The price for shipping large heavy packages like this to USA, used to be very low, and a Package with both Consoles, Lasercut in 6mm MDF including the Glue needed for assembly, would normally have cost 300 DKK for a package at 20 Kg.

But after January 1. 2018, that price is going up by quite alot, and will be 828,25 DKK for exactly the same. i can only guess the reason for this is the current covernment in the US, since America is the only country which gets a higher price.

So, if you live in USA, and you are interested in our precut Consoles, you can order them from me from today, and until December 18. and then only pay the 300 DKK shipping price.

The Precut Package is 1200DKK until December 18.

And that includes shipping.

What do you get:

-----------------

A-10C Right Console Lasercut in 6mm MDF ready for Assembly.

A-10C Left Console Lasercut in 6mm MDF ready for Assembly.

Glue for assembling both Consoles.

All the Console parts will have Labels on them, so its clear which way they need to sit, and i will be making a Video or Picture page to show how to assemble and glue it all.

The 3D printed DZUS Rails which can be mounted on these will be released not long after, and can then be ordered. However its totally possible to make your own wooden rails, and drill holes for the panels if one would like.

The same goes for the Warthog Throttle Mount.

THIS IS ONLY FOR YOU GUYS LIVING IN THE US, the rest of the world can ofcourse also purchase these, but that price remains the same.

After January 1. these packages will cost a total of 1728 for everyone living in the US. We are trying to get a better deal on shipping, but it seems like its not possible. So this might be the only chance to get them at low price if your Interested.

You can write me here on the Forum if your interested, or send me an email on info@lynx.dk

You can also order directly here: http://lynx.dk/product/a-10-consoles-precut-6mm-mdf-including-shipping-to-usa/

They will be added to our webshop within the next couple of days.

The Picture below is what you get x2, only the right console and the glue is shown.

consoles.JPG

left_console_prototype_3.JPG

Edited by LynxDK

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram