Red Flag Rumble - Mig21 vs F5 - Round 2

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you would visit training that Stuge was organising weeks ago you would see how we kill T-55 tanks with salvo of 8 S-5 rockets...

One salvo of 8 rockets can kill T-55 if launched properly.

F-5 has no analogs to S-24, or to Kh-66 Grom it is unfair...

On the contrary I have no idea how F-5 can kill T-55 with its rockets cuz its salvo too spread..

The MIG-21 has no equal A2A missile to the AIM-9P5, the R-60M nor the R-3R can be compare to them, at the same time, the visibility of the MIG-21 from the F-5 is perfect with the smoke tail, but is almost impossible to see a F-5 beyond 1 km, the F-5 pilots know that they can exploit the MIG-21 radar, flying low due the ground clutter. Did you read the statistics of the last match? We will need all the luck of the world to kill a F-5 in air to air.

Edited by JunMcKill

• ED Translators
The MIG-21 has no equal A2A missile to the AIM-9P5, the R-60M nor the R-3R can be compare to them, at the same time, the visibility of the MIG-21 from the F-5 is perfect with the smoke tail, but is almost impossible to see a F-5 beyond 1 km, the F-5 pilots know that they can exploit the MIG-21 radar, flying low due the ground clutter. Did you read the statistics of the last match? We will need all the luck of the world to kill a F-5 in air to air.

We were talking about A2G not A2A.

I reviewed last match, where you went on solo sortie btw if I recall correctly... And when I tried to brief you at the start with tactics we are planning with our 3 ship A2G element you said "Listen, I already won some of competitions..." or something like that...

Also MiG-21s were outnumbered, there were 4 or 5 more F-5s than MiG-21s, its easy to check.

Missiles of MiG-21 was patched compared to last rumble match and some of my and mine comrades work was put into it. R-13M now has seeker compared to AIM-9P5 (if we take rear aspect), but AIM-9P5 has more travel range which is about 1/3 more than R-13M ( for instance R-13 travel 4.7 KM AIM-9P5 travel 6.2 KM as per my tests before patch in certain situation that difference can mean something but not all the time its need thorough research to say how much this advantage affecting match keeping in mind speeds of planes and reaction time of pilots). Also MiG-21 weapon switch selector logic was changed to reflect real MiG-21.

R-60M is more maneuverable than AIM-9P5 and its seeker head sensitivity was patched aswell. And tracking bug is not there anymore.

Me and Stuge did number of flights and trainings and so far we concluded that difference in missiles is something you can work with, it is impossible to level this in A2A by restrictions for A2G at the moment and stay fair. You just need to keep A2A differences in mind. It is a good idea to try to do that but you need more research I think and more statistics than just one match..

Visibility is something you cannot change aswell, and actually for me to spot MiG-21 is easier too only because of its engine exhaust, maybe it is close to IRL I dunno. If F-5 use Afterburner it is visible just as MiG-21.

"F-5 pilots know that they can exploit the MIG-21 radar, flying low due the ground clutter" I would say that it is general tactic for any non BVR plane in that environment where we don't have SAM coverage... I don't see how we can change that. MiG-21 can go low aswell and F-5 radar will not pick it up because of same clutter. As for radar missiles of MiG I can use them in beam (visual) mode which will neglect flares of F-5.

Of course you will never get fully competitive environment, but I see no reason to change A2G restrictions because of A2A... Balance is hard but differences are not so dramatic (if you take in account restrictions that already being made), we have to work with what we have. If you want clear competitive environment then we need match F-5 vs F-5 or MiG-21 vs MiG-21. I never considered any DCS event as competitive, despite what people would say unless it was a competition between same planes on both sides.

Edited by P61

AKA LazzySeal

I think you've confused me with someone else, I would never say such stupidity, like I've "won competitions" etc, in fact I've lost all of them in MIG-21! :D

By the way, the F-5 visibility is far from RL, doesnt care what some F-14 pilots said blah blah, I'm talking by my experience, not the others one, In Mexico we have F-5, and I can discern their shape perfectly 3-4 miles aways, while in DCS is only see a dot until 800 meters distance, that sucks!

=EDP 71st= Rush

We were talking about A2G not A2A.

I reviewed last match, where you went on solo sortie btw if I recall correctly... And when I tried to brief you at the start with tactics we are planning with our 3 ship A2G element you said "Listen, I already won some of competitions..." or something like that...

Also MiG-21s were outnumbered, there were 4 or 5 more F-5s than MiG-21s, its easy to check.

Missiles of MiG-21 was patched compared to last rumble match and some of my and mine comrades work was put into it. R-13M now has seeker compared to AIM-9P5 (if we take rear aspect), but AIM-9P5 has more travel range which is about 1/3 more than R-13M ( for instance R-13 travel 4.7 KM AIM-9P5 travel 6.2 KM as per my tests before patch in certain situation that difference can mean something but not all the time its need thorough research to say how much this advantage affecting match keeping in mind speeds of planes and reaction time of pilots). Also MiG-21 weapon switch selector logic was changed to reflect real MiG-21.

R-60M is more maneuverable than AIM-9P5 and its seeker head sensitivity was patched aswell. And tracking bug is not there anymore.

Me and Stuge did number of flights and trainings and so far we concluded that difference in missiles is something you can work with, it is impossible to level this in A2A by restrictions for A2G at the moment and stay fair. You just need to keep A2A differences in mind. It is a good idea to try to do that but you need more research I think and more statistics than just one match..

Visibility is something you cannot change aswell, and actually for me to spot MiG-21 is easier too only because of its engine exhaust, maybe it is close to IRL I dunno. If F-5 use Afterburner it is visible just as MiG-21.

"F-5 pilots know that they can exploit the MIG-21 radar, flying low due the ground clutter" I would say that it is general tactic for any non BVR plane in that environment where we don't have SAM coverage... I don't see how we can change that. MiG-21 can go low aswell and F-5 radar will not pick it up because of same clutter. As for radar missiles of MiG I can use them in beam (visual) mode which will neglect flares of F-5.

Of course you will never get fully competitive environment, but I see no reason to change A2G restrictions because of A2A... Balance is hard but differences are not so dramatic (if you take in account restrictions that already being made), we have to work with what we have. If you want clear competitive environment then we need match F-5 vs F-5 or MiG-21 vs MiG-21. I never considered any DCS event as competitive, despite what people would say unless it was a competition between same planes on both sides.

Edited by JunMcKill

• ED Translators
You guys are gonna be all stressed :joystick: and we're gonna be like Brrrrrr Brrrrrr :pilotfly:

No stress, we know we are underdogs in A2A, without SAM coverage.. so..

AKA LazzySeal

• ED Translators
Guys are you experiencing problems with the MIG-21 drag chute? Apparently the compressed air that ejects the parachute, is being wasted before landing.

I will try to check before event..

AKA LazzySeal

• ED Translators

Just tried with air start and landed, chute opened as planned no problems. I do always place gear handle in neutral position after gear mechanics stops working..

AKA LazzySeal

Mav,

I'm probably not going to be able to stay the entire time, gotta leave here around 5PM EDT, so I'd like to give my F5 spot to the first in line on reserves.

I think there should be some extras in channel as well if #s are low. MigDriver was saying he could take an F-5 spot if needed.

ETA: Got in anyways and it kicked off in time! Thanks for running a tight ship, Mav. Very glad I got to participate!

Edited by Dino Might