Straight in carrier approach?

CBStu

Not having VR or Track IR, I have a real hard time doing the normal carrier pattern because I can't switch back and forth normal view to left/up view very well. Is there a way to fudge a straight in carrier approach similar to the 'Instant Action' straight in ground landing? I feel like w/ my equipment and skill level limitations, I'd like to try a simpler carrier approach. I got reasonably proficient in XPlane but the FA18 there has a few shortcomings so I much prefer flying the DCS FA18. I tried doing a cat shot and kind of a pattern but w/ the down wind leg very long so I would have a long approach. But the three wingmen are crazy and it is really difficult to even see the grey carrier on the blue ocean. I will try again after I turn off the labels since they are also hard to see being just a slightly lighter blue than the ocean.

For your limitations, Make sure you setup tacan at 10 scale and put it up on the right or left ddi.

I would also setup custom snap views i think and bind them to my hotas using a modifier key.

Doing some getting started videos, going to get to snap views soon.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thanks guys. I set up a simple mission and it works very well. One little problem is the time stamp in the lower left of the hud sometimes hides the ship. I run most of the approach w/ the ship in the left side of the screen. That allows me to turn a little more left as I get closer so I am lined up w/ the angled deck. I will work on the Tacan setup in the next few days. That is another skill I need to learn.

Thanks guys. I set up a simple mission and it works very well. One little problem is the time stamp in the lower left of the hud sometimes hides the ship. I run most of the approach w/ the ship in the left side of the screen. That allows me to turn a little more left as I get closer so I am lined up w/ the angled deck. I will work on the Tacan setup in the next few days. That is another skill I need to learn.

TACAN is quite easy- if you get stuck pls feel free to pm me- happy to set up a server and talk you through it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am thinking about TrackIR and will definitely try the CAT III tutorial. The carrier deck is completely empty so I tried adding a plane and put it right on top of the carrier icon but that didn't work. How can i get some planes on there simply to make it look more realistic?

I recently got hold of a TrackIR5 off EvilBay for less than the price of the new HeatBlur F-14 - so keep looking these deals do sometimes come up. Huge, huge difference to my play style.

However to answer your question, I flew for over a month with nothing other than one of the joystick HAT switches set for "view". Having no other choice, I think it helped with "flying the numbers" around the boat. Use of TACAN and ICLS to get the downwind leg and the final turn into the Groove can be done......but when you review your PLAT camera view in review, it's admittedly not as pretty as some of those YouTube experts seem to be able to do.

I suspect that MOST pilots fly in fixed forward view and ONLY look up (for line up adjustment) as that final 90 degrees.

Now I have a Track IR - I do feel your pain :)

Did more flying today. Tried the instant action Case I which gives the option of a straight in approach. It starts only 8 miles out so very busy. Decided to figure ICLS instead of Tacan so getting the two displays and radio set up while the plane is losing speed is tough. Flew right over the carrier the first 3-4 tries but like a lot of things, some practice really helps. I sure hope they get the HUD brightness knob functioning soon. As it is the ICLS cross and the vector pretty much blot out the carrier when you get lined up until quite close. But, out of 30 tries, I got it on the deck maybe 10 of them. 10 I crashed and 10 I did my own wave off. I looked at the TrackIR and will definitely grab that in maybe 6-8 weeks. We will be moving in 3-6 weeks so very busy now. Thanks guys for all your help.

I am thinking about TrackIR and will definitely try the CAT III tutorial. The carrier deck is completely empty so I tried adding a plane and put it right on top of the carrier icon but that didn't work. How can i get some planes on there simply to make it look more realistic?

thats really easy to do

Place a static object - select plane,then the plane of your choice, set off set fixation- pair to carrier

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got ya bro!!! I made this video 2 weeks ago and it has the latest method. This method allows you to see the carrier so you know where to place the aircraft as well as point them in any direction you want.

Enjoy ;)

Edited by Akula
  • MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

You can do case 1 without looking before the wake, if you repeat the numbers. Additionally your TACAN will help your downwind position, the ICLS can help your check the numbers for the descent from a very wide angle, or just do the Case III demo.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *