DCS F-5E radar

Awhile ago I made a post about the inaccuracies of the simulated AN/APQ-159.

-The Clutter points are all the same size, shape and intensity

-No Chaff or cloud clutter

-Theres no CRT glow effect

-The return of any aircraft is the same. (RCS isn't factored in the render)

-I dont think there is a 'visible beam sweep', but it only looks like there is one because of the azmiuth scan sweeping across clutter (if that makes sense) (heres what I'm takling about http://i.imgur.com/XXNjD6e.gifv it only looks like a visible line but only because our brains interpret the line. But in places where theres no clutter you shouldn't see the bar.

You can only see one sweeping bar in all the APQ-159 images, but it may just be clutter being highlighted at that moment.

nwaLUAv.jpg

This is what I think the APQ-159 should look like, based on the above images.

5pGk0EV.png

At that point, I had no footage of the real radar in action.

However, thanks to a member of our community, I have acquired some actual footage of the F-5's radar.

AN/APQ-153 radar

giphy.gif

Taken from an "F-5E produced in 1974/1975".

I believe we are seeing the radar being operated on the ground, hence the intensity of the clutter.

A lack of clutter, say in a look-up scnario, should look something like this.

AN/APQ-120 radar

voo5oV.gif

I hope to see this revisited by the devs at some point.

Edited by Beamscanner
  • Like 3

+1. I would absolutely love to see some accurately rendered radar and it's pretty poorly simulated thus far. I'd even be happy with better cheating on the filters and just a messy more cluttered natural look.

The contacts are given a straight forward and simple filter, the module knows they exist and chooses to show them at predefined range and aspect. RCS exists but I've not noticed too much effect.

Radar needs to have at least some better noise on it, to make it look like a radar screen not a crisp arcade like display.

On the clouds issue, this is a problem because there is no multiplayer sync on individual clouds so you would get different effects for two people side by side, same as when you enter one and wingman doesn't.

There's a lot of issues with displays in general. Things like in the FLIRs (when they work) it's just a camera shot with a filter. But you don't even see the sun on those. DCS needs a tidy up here as there are serious immersion killers.

Edited by Pikey
  • Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

The link to the radar gif is broken, here's a functioning one :)

giphy.gif

Thanks, I corrected it

+1. I would absolutely love to see some accurately rendered radar and it's pretty poorly simulated thus far. I'd even be happy with better cheating on the filters and just a messy more cluttered natural look.

The contacts are given a straight forward and simple filter, the module knows they exist and chooses to show them at predefined range and aspect. RCS exists but I've not noticed too much effect.

Radar needs to have at least some better noise on it, to make it look like a radar screen not a crisp arcade like display.

On the clouds issue, this is a problem because there is no multiplayer sync on individual clouds so you would get different effects for two people side by side, same as when you enter one and wingman doesn't.

There's a lot of issues with displays in general. Things like in the FLIRs (when they work) it's just a camera shot with a filter. But you don't even see the sun on those. DCS needs a tidy up here as there are serious immersion killers.

So here's an idea. Why not use the Air to Ground API ED is working on for simulating pulsed radar operation. Real beam mapping modes are essentially just pulse only waveforms (LPRF) with pulse compression.

Just adjust the following parameters

-range resolution

-Azimuth resolution (radar beamwidth)

and point the beam up instead of down. That way you have realistic ground clutter in the scope.

Edited by Beamscanner

I understand BST is busy with the F-18 and I’m completely fine with that, would love if after there done with that if they can implement this stuff and some of the other things yet to be done.

I was inverted B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still the same...

Though if it's only for aesthetics purposes, a little bit of photoshop should do the trick. AFAIK the B-sweep is a .TGA.

Getting it to sweep across the whole screen should be good too, but I guess there's also a .lua to edit...

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

• 2 months later...
Nice video here with a (very) few seconds of radar usage

Awesome video, besides the radar footage. Thx for sharing :thumbup:

Good show of the radar at 14m19 too (inclucing lock)

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Definitely, the F-5E and the Mig-21 are two of my favorite modules in DCS.

If it seems like I complain a lot about them, that's only because I love them so much.

I got my fingerprints all over a MiG-21 today, but the F5 is still my favorite DCS jet (and I have them all).

Habu! I didn't touch it (well...just the engine and gear), but many pictures were taken.

• 4 weeks later...

That more realistic radar sweep etc would be nice. You have change to spot something that system doesn't etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well - DCS is made for fully computerized radar systems ala F-15C, MiG-29 etc.

The semi-computerized stuff from MiG-21 or 19, or the plain uncomputerized CRT output on the Tiger... most of it would have to be done from scratch to be actually realistic.