GPS implementation and JDAM and JSOW

PitbullVicious

I always thought that Hornet GPS would be required to be implemented before JDAMs and JSOWs, but now it looks like the ordinance will be implemented first (unless I've missed something).

I think currently the INS is absolutely accurate and doesn't model drift yet, but according to another mini-update these are in the works. If these come out before GPS implementation, will we for the time have rather inaccurate smart-bombs? Or will they just assume GPS is running and accurate separately from navigation?

I guess this is more me trying to understand the development process rather than saying "it can't be so" :)

i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz | MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX3090 24GB | 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | Virpil T50CM2 base w/ F/A-18C / A-10C / Virpil T50CM2 Grip | WinWing Super Taurus Throttle | MFG pedals | TekCreations Hornet UFC, Landing Panel, Right Console | WinWing Hornet Combat Ready Panel | Buddy Fox UFC | Foxx Mount | 3 x TM Cougar MFD | HP Reverb G2 | Wacom Intuos S (with VRK) | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro & Throttle | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

善く戦う者は、まず勝つべからざるを為して、以て敵の勝つべきを待つ。

I think currently the INS is absolutely accurate and doesn't model drift yet, but according to another mini-update these are in the works. If these come out before GPS implementation, will we for the time have rather inaccurate smart-bombs?

Wouldn't it make more sense to assume that, because of the flawless INS, the IAMs will be fed super-accurate data on weapon release as well? And then once INS drift gets modeled and GPS gets implemented in a way that it can actually fail so that weapons have to use much less accurate INS data, that's when they'll get inaccurate. At least that would be my guess. :)

Wouldn't it make more sense to assume that, because of the flawless INS, the IAMs will be fed super-accurate data on weapon release as well? And then once INS drift gets modeled and GPS gets implemented in a way that it can actually fail so that weapons have to use much less accurate INS data, that's when they'll get inaccurate. At least that would be my guess. :)

Oh, I meant if the drift in INS is implemented before GPS implementation. I think the updates have only talked about INS being worked on, not the GPS (although I'm not sure if it was only the INS alignment that was mentioned).

Edit: Just verified, there was only talk about INS ground and CV alignment, nothing about drift (or GPS).

Edited by PitbullVicious

i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz | MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX3090 24GB | 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | Virpil T50CM2 base w/ F/A-18C / A-10C / Virpil T50CM2 Grip | WinWing Super Taurus Throttle | MFG pedals | TekCreations Hornet UFC, Landing Panel, Right Console | WinWing Hornet Combat Ready Panel | Buddy Fox UFC | Foxx Mount | 3 x TM Cougar MFD | HP Reverb G2 | Wacom Intuos S (with VRK) | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro & Throttle | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

Oh, I meant if the drift in INS is implemented before GPS implementation.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.

In that case, I agree, it might be rather interesting if we get IAMs with INS drift modeled and no GPS yet. :smartass:

(Quote from one of my favorite TV shows:

Wash: "If she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting."

Mal: "Define interesting..."

Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?"

Mal: "This is the captain, we have a little problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence, and then explode.")

The way JDAMs work, is that even if you are flying an INS only aircraft but are self-targeting (relative-targeting), when the bomb comes off in INS it is going to the relative vector and range of what you sent it. If the bomb picks up GPS after leaving the jet, it updates the coordinates to reflect the targeting given by the aircraft, so it's more accurate because the GPS is updating the IMU. If you are targeting strictly off of coordinates, not targeting by an ATFLIR or radar, then the bomb will be off because of the transfer of coordinates given to the bomb when it was released due to INS drift of the aircraft. If the bomb picks up GPS during its time of fall, it will correct and go to the correct coordinates.

Thanks RShackleford for the explanation!