VR gen 1 + CAS = no go ?

Bogey Jammer

I can't live without my Rift now. Everything is enhanced and more comfortable except the visual detection of ground units. It is difficult already on monitor, it is close to impossible with the current resolution of VR devices.

Is there any tip or workaround to add some visual detection range ? (except painting ground units' skin in pink :P)

Do you think ED can tweak some features in the current engine for realistically enhancing the visual discrimination against the environment ? (shadows, albedo, shader reflection, LOD vs distance, sub-pixel rendering, …)

That also can be profitable for air-targets detection, but against the sky, it would probably require another topic.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I can't live without my Rift now. Everything is enhanced and more comfortable except the visual detection of ground units. It is difficult already on monitor, it is close to impossible with the current resolution of VR devices.

Is there any tip or workaround to add some visual detection range ? (except painting ground units' skin in pink :P)

Do you think ED can tweak some features in the current engine for realistically enhancing the visual discrimination against the environment ? (shadows, albedo, shader reflection, LOD vs distance, sub-pixel rendering, …)

That also can be profitable for air-targets detection, but against the sky, it would probably require another topic.

Have you tried playing with the pixel density? I don't personally do much CAS, but I recently did the P-51 A-G quick mission and had zero problems with the rift.

I have the same issue.

I am using a self edited label mod. You can minimize the labels to a point ( . ). And make the colours so they won't give enemy away that easy...subtle differences. You can edit the label file so it fits your gameplay.

Ofcourse..I am aslo hoping future VR harware will make this obsolete...but in the mean time this works quite well for me.

I've been playing the A-10C a lot lately with my Rift and it is very hard spotting targets on the ground. I end up have to use the targeting pod almost all the time. And it hard to pick out vehicles in that too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ive got pretty good at it with practice, you needs pixel densite at 1.5 or so, dont use a custom map texture pack, this makes things worse, even without vr, and make sure you have your graphics settings to 1024 or 1024 every frame.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

We've used a label mod in the past as well. It works quite well.

We have had on occasion in the past one of our squad doing the JTAC role and that is obviously best but not always accessible.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Have you tried playing with the pixel density? I don't personally do much CAS, but I recently did the P-51 A-G quick mission and had zero problems with the rift.

WW2 warfare is OK, but doing CAS with jets requires much longer weapon launch distances. I just can't use laser guided missiles with the Su-25.

Dont bump up pixel density! PD 1.0 is the best for spotting targets. That has benn discuset several times.

Interesting. I'll try that.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Dont use high PD or high levels of AA , 2xAA is all that i use , so i get rid off shimmering etc..

Try PD 1.2

Dont use texture mods or edit them = edit your high or ultra or extreme etc lua file and set noisemax to zero and you see how easy it is spot targets when terrain texture is not too detailed :)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And set ground texture to low in options, less noise and "painted" details will help to get better contrast and targets wont blend so easily to ground with PD or AA :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried super sampling both 1 and 1.5 factors (higher settings makes unperceptive difference). Thanks to the oculus tray tool I just discovered with your help, the frame rates are still good.

I concluded that SS factor of 1.5 is definitely better than nothing. Everything including ground targets are noticeable from longer distances. It is still too short to hit with the Kh-25 but I can now reach the authorization of launch range.

The biggest problem is probably the flattened vegetation and features on the Caucasus textures. They are totally baked and the fake immobile shadows make too much contrast and prevent the ground's look to react according to the lighting conditions. Some normal mapping would help. Maxnoise setting unfortunately is ineffective in this case, and I don't want to reduce the texture quality since I'm also a helo enthusiast.

In practice, the ground units are more contrasted against the ground when the sun is placed in the front hemisphere of the line of sight. Vertically-aligned sun is better unless it is too near from the horizon causing glaring.

Being in low altitude is also better because of the reduction of the area to scan and the lower visual pollution of air turbidity nicely rendered though.

Not to mention the basics of the perfectly adjusted position of the Rift on the head and cleaned lenses.

I'll buy :

Just a quick point - RCtrl+Pause is a less intrusive way of keeping an eye on your frame rate in VR.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just made some spotting tests , using A-10A instant action mission.

Flying at 1500ft i can spot Tank's about 2-2.5 nm out from waypoint (target).

PD 1.5 no Antialising , stock textures , high setting , hdr on.

Mustangs textures are worse , with those i cant spot until about 1-1,5nm out.

Bartek mod is almost same as stock.

I spend 6h to make those test , msaa will mask far away Tank's fast. So least it is nogo for now and

Stock ground textures are best if you like to see something in ground.

Sent when im drunk with my iphone near me :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]