[REPORTED]S_EVENT_PLAYER_ENTER_UNIT not fired in MP setup

New issue in DCS 1.5.7 and DCS 1.5.8 beta

Another problem found ... An new issue on top of the previous reported regarding the S_EVENT_PLAYER_ENTER_UNIT.

In DCS multi player, when a client joins a slot with a plane to a server, the event S_EVENT_PLAYER_ENTER_UNIT is not anymore triggered!!!

This used to work a few versions back (even in DCS 1.5.7), but not anymore :no_sad::inv: It is sad. Really sad ... The impact is large on MOOSE.

The only option I have now is to build a workaround solution interpreting the S_EVENT_BIRTH events, checking if the unit has a player name, and thus, this would be a player that joined a unit. This would work only for planes and helicopters. For ground units (ground commander, tactical commander etc), where a player joins a vehicle using ALT-J the S_EVENT_BIRTH is not triggered, because the unit is already alive...

On top, for ground vehicles the method Unit:getPlayerName returns nil or "" when seated by a player...

All works on Single player, but multi player is a mess at this moment when it comes to this functionality.

@ED if you are seeing this, can you please focus on this please.

Sven

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

Unfortunately until this is fixed I am halting any more advanced mission editing. Its just not worth the time to put effort into it.

I have lots of mission ideas but they will all be put on back burner and my time will be spent creating missions in other games or something.

This is so unfortunate. BUT, I hope ED realizes the importance of this and fixes this sooner rather than later. I'm sure they have a pile of bugs building up as they still work on the merge. So hopefully the merge happens soon and that frees up some of their time to kill these high priority bugs.

My background and experience with DCS MP is hosting highly dynamic PvE experiences in DCS MP. This event is an ESSENTIAL part for any sort of dynamic scripting.

We've been working to bring not only our community of players together, but others from other servers.

There are many people who soley play DCS online for these missions/servers with extremely high replay value.

I hope that this issue is addressed so that the DCS community can continue to prosper :)

"Through The Inferno"

Endless, Dynamic, Open-World Experience for DCS World

The release 2.5 can never be an excuse not to solve these kind of issues reported.

Those in the DCS community who think that 2.5 will bring a new era in DCS are wrong. This won't be the case. The world turns around and keeps turning. New priorities will always come and will always be there.

As long as @ED isn't taking a management decision to focus on these kind of things, it just won't happen. Even when 2.5 is out, which was promised to be delivered since 2015 by the way ... There are always other priorities to be found. And once 2.5 is out, then other priorities will come.

I am not saying that 2.5 isn't great, because it is! It IS GREAT. Hat off to the ED team on what you guys are doing there. It is amazing stuff!

But please, bare in mind that the experience in your simulation is also coming from mission designers that make great missions. Simulation is about the tactical and strategical experience too, and about dynamism.

Those who don't understand this issue, that is fine, but just bare in mind that it is you as a player who are limited by this kind of bugs, because it limits mission designers to make great missions.

@ED:

All we ask is please to just have a look at this issue reported. How much work can it be? I really wonder... Please do at least an assessment on what the issue is, how much work would it be to do that? And how much work to fix it.

1 day? 5 days?

We are here at your disposal to help with testing, if that would help.

I will drop you also that mail @Chizh.

FC

[/TABLE]

+1, it's extremely important also for me.

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Very good news from the homefront @ED.

Hello,

This issue has been fixed recently but fix isn't tested yet.

We'll use your mission for test but if you have more test cases (missions) with different scenarios, it would be very helpful and reduces time frame.

Best regards,

Eagle Dynamics QA Team

I'll gladly support with a test mission, great!

[/TABLE]

Great :)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

@ED,

Here is the test mission to test your fix ...

Please following the documented test scenario:

2 planes and 2 tanks are located on and near the airport.

The test is about checking if S_EVENT_PLAYER_ENTER_UNIT is correctly working in DCS single player and multi player.

The test requires you to jump into the 2 planes and into the 2 tanks using CA.

Please execute the following scenarios in Single and Multi-Player:

1. Test in Single Player:

First we need to get the mission running... To do this, do the following actions:

- At mission startup, once you get the slots, press the ESC key... The slot selection window will disappear.

- Then press the ESC key again, and in the window, select the menu option "Select Slot".

Next, we select the 2 planes...

- Select Plane 1 slot. Go to external view. Once you are in the SU-25T, an orange smoke and a message should appear.

- Select Plane 2 slot. Go to external view. Once you are in the SU-25T, a red smoke and a message should appear.

Next, we select the 2 tanks... Select the MAP view using F10, and:

- Select the Tank 1 unit using the arrow. And then press RALT-J which should jump you into Tank 1. Go to external view. Once you are in the Tank, a blue smoke and a message should appear.

- Select the Tank 2 unit using the arrow. And then press RALT-J which should jump you into Tank 2. Go to external view. Once you are in the Tank, a green smoke and a message should appear.

2. Test in Multi Player:

Run the mission on a server, and connect to the mission with a client...

On the client machine, we select the 2 planes...

- Select Plane 1 slot. Go to external view. Once you are in the SU-25T, an orange smoke and a message should appear.

- Select Plane 2 slot. Go to external view. Once you are in the SU-25T, a red smoke and a message should appear.

On the client machine, we select the 2 tanks... Select the MAP view using F10, and:

- Select the Tank 1 unit using the arrow. And then press RALT-J which should jump you into Tank 1. Go to external view. Once you are in the Tank, a blue smoke and a message should appear.

- Select the Tank 2 unit using the arrow. And then press RALT-J which should jump you into Tank 2. Go to external view. Once you are in the Tank, a green smoke and a message should appear.

If all of this is working correctly, then the fix is correctly patched!

I've also added the script for those interested how to catch the event ...

Kind regards,

Sven

EVT-105 - UNIT OnEventPlayerEnterUnit Example.miz

EVT-105 - UNIT OnEventPlayerEnterUnit Example.lua

[/TABLE]

Guys. Please read carefully the instructions! No testing in MP on the local host!!!! This is indeed like SP. You need a network connection!

[/TABLE]

Read understood and tested

Nope it does not smoke or message in MP with a client connected

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Read understood and tested

Nope it does not smoke or message in MP with a client connected

Exactly, and now ED will test also and release their fix solving this issue ( following the feedback of ED )...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

[/TABLE]

• 2 months later...

Any news on this now that we have one merged DCS version again? Maybe this could get some priority once the memory leak is fixed?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I just wanted to add something to the effect of this bug that's not apparent or easily understood.

Without the scripting engine reporting the client is occupied by a player, it especially effects Combined Arms gameplay with scripting. So for example, you cannot provide a player a personalised tasking or make use of many of the benefits of MOOSE or other scripting frameworks that provide immersive Missions to players. Game Master Slot or any slot without a vehicle birth for example. These slots are just wanting to be used for more fun things, CA is underdeveloped with missions and scripting and it would be good for all to bring it into the fold of other modules. Currently there is no possibility to get a Tactical commander a player event of him taking the slot so you can't generate menus and messages automatically for him and make use for these frameworks.

It's difficult for most customers of DCSW to conceptualise something that they MISS, they only see easily things that stopped working or matter to them, for bugs. The impact is very intangible for most, you need both technical understanding of the SSE and ME to even realise this doesn't work. So we end up sounding like a broken record on this bug. But the things we have to use clunky workarounds for or just can't do are real concepts, it's just people cannot see them because it never worked.

• Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

We would like to know the status of this as well as the bug is severeky hampering our combat missions and, to some extent, our training missions as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Thanks for the update Bignewy, hope the complications are solved soon so this fix can be released.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo