Oculus Debug Tool: Pixels Per Display Pixel Override

Aries144

A friend showed me this trick tonight. Anyone else try it yet?

I'm so far finding that using a setting of 1.3 in Pixels Per Display Pixel Override in ODT looks significantly less blurry than 1.3 PD using the in game setting, and it appears to have less frame hit as well. Combined with a small bump in digital vibrance using the HDMI trick, my ability to spot nearby aircraft against the ground, sky, or horizon finally seems to be approaching what is was with my 23" 1920x1080 monitor.

• Like 1

Interesting. What do you set the in game setting to in this scenario? 1.0? I have always set the oculus tool tray to 2.0 and the in game to match at 2.0 as not sure which overrides what. Also what is the hdmi trick you mention? Still trying to figure all this out. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Very interesting, I may have to give this a try to compare.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

A friend showed me this trick tonight. Anyone else try it yet?

I'm so far finding that using a setting of 1.3 in Pixels Per Display Pixel Override in ODT looks significantly less blurry than 1.3 PD using the in game setting, and it appears to have less frame hit as well. Combined with a small bump in digital vibrance using the HDMI trick, my ability to spot nearby aircraft against the ground, sky, or horizon finally seems to be approaching what is was with my 23" 1920x1080 monitor.

Can you please post the link to the ODT.

Edit: found it

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=184837

Edited by fitness88

Interesting. What do you set the in game setting to in this scenario? 1.0? I have always set the oculus tool tray to 2.0 and the in game to match at 2.0 as not sure which overrides what. Also what is the hdmi trick you mention? Still trying to figure all this out. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Yes what do you set the game PD setting to?

What does the vibrance actually do?

Burnhard

Periferals - HP Reverb - Viper/Warthog grip on VPC WarBRD base - Virpil Mogoos T-50 Throttle - MFG Crosswind rudders - Gametrix KW 908 // HW - 7700k@4.8 - 32GB@3200 - RTX2080TI // DCS Favourites - AJS37 - SA342 - F-16C :thumbup:

Essentially, before the changes the outside lines of aircraft were so blurry, and their colors so indistinct from sky and ground colors, that I found myself at quite a disadvantage in far visual range and even near visual range fights compared to using a monitor and trackir. Add in some motion blur when frame rates dipped too low and it was really impossible to be competitive. Now the outside lines of aircraft seem much more defined and the slight differences in color between aircraft and their surroundings are more apparent. Before, it was often extremely difficult to stay padlocked on a target, even if it was moving across my field of view, until it was well within a mile. Now I can spot it if I look hard enough and get lucky, just like with a monitor. It's like going from 20/60 vision to maybe 20/30.

Here's a download link for the SDK.

For the SDK to work, you can't use the Beta Oculus driver. I'm using 1.13.

I set the in-game PD setting to 1. I'm using an nvidia 970, so I set the SDK value to 1.3.

The 'HDMI trick' to adjust digital vibrance is as simple as unplugging your Oculus from the HDMI port, plugging in a monitor to the same port, and changing the following in Nvidia Control Panel for that monitor:

Adjust Video Color Settings

Under Advanced tab, change Dynamic Range to "Full"

Adjust Video Image Settings

Try increasing edge sharpness to 60 (not sure yet if this works or not)

Adjust Desktop Color Settings

Increase Digital Vibrance to something around 60-70

After you plug the Oculus back in, those changes will still be in effect for the Oculus. I had to buy a DVI to HDMI adapter, as my monitor doesn't have an HDMI input.

I used 1.6 with my 970 and continue to use it with my 1060 - works great and don't notice any performce issues.

You don't need to do all that pullaver for the colours - there is a prog that will set it in a second or two. Can't remember where I got it from, but I'm sure a bit of looking will find it for anyone who wants it.

Edit - the attached file is the one I use - use it at your own risk, of course! ;)

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

You don't need to do all that pullaver for the colours - there is a prog that will set it in a second or two.

I found it didn't work for me. After I hooked a monitor up to the hdmi port, I found it was still set to limited in Nvidia Control Panel. Also, it only sets the dynamic range, it doesn't change any other settings like vibrance.

Grrrr. I thought I would try the HDMI tweak and restarting the rift gave nothing but a black screen, tried a repair and now its downloading 1.5Gb of software. Be careful what you wish for!!!

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Grrrr. I thought I would try the HDMI tweak and restarting the rift gave nothing but a black screen, tried a repair and now its downloading 1.5Gb of software. Be careful what you wish for!!!

Ugh, hope it is sorted for you soon enough.

That is one reason I stay away from doing things like this, I took a look and was tempted to just give it a try - but when it comes to something like this I am kind of all thumbs anyway and don't want to risk messing something up. Beside I think the image in my Rift looks pretty darn good anyway.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks Don. Seems to be sorted after a couple of abortive attempts to reinstal. I probably did something stupid my end to cause it. Now as soon as the wife goes to play with her horses I will strap in for takeoff:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found it didn't work for me. After I hooked a monitor up to the hdmi port, I found it was still set to limited in Nvidia Control Panel. Also, it only sets the dynamic range, it doesn't change any other settings like vibrance.

Yes it affects Digital Vibrance...I started with 70 and worked it up to 85 and it's great!

Also I tried using the new 'game mode' Windows 10 Creator's update, I'd like to hear your opinions

I'm curious exactly what settings in Nvidia you adjusted?

Essentially, before the changes the outside lines of aircraft were so blurry, and their colors so indistinct from sky and ground colors, that I found myself at quite a disadvantage in far visual range and even near visual range fights compared to using a monitor and trackir. Add in some motion blur when frame rates dipped too low and it was really impossible to be competitive. Now the outside lines of aircraft seem much more defined and the slight differences in color between aircraft and their surroundings are more apparent. Before, it was often extremely difficult to stay padlocked on a target, even if it was moving across my field of view, until it was well within a mile. Now I can spot it if I look hard enough and get lucky, just like with a monitor. It's like going from 20/60 vision to maybe 20/30.

Here's a download link for the SDK.

For the SDK to work, you can't use the Beta Oculus driver. I'm using 1.13.

I set the in-game PD setting to 1. I'm using an nvidia 970, so I set the SDK value to 1.3.

The 'HDMI trick' to adjust digital vibrance is as simple as unplugging your Oculus from the HDMI port, plugging in a monitor to the same port, and changing the following in Nvidia Control Panel for that monitor:

Adjust Video Color Settings

Under Advanced tab, change Dynamic Range to "Full"

Adjust Video Image Settings

Try increasing edge sharpness to 60 (not sure yet if this works or not)

Adjust Desktop Color Settings

Increase Digital Vibrance to something around 60-70

After you plug the Oculus back in, those changes will still be in effect for the Oculus. I had to buy a DVI to HDMI adapter, as my monitor doesn't have an HDMI input.

You need to select 'use Nvidia settings' not 'other application's control color settings'

'Unable to connect to service, or an HMD isn't connected'

This is what I get when I start the ODT. As for the version of my Oculus Rift software, it's the version that was installed when I did my set-up...is there a newer version?

Edited by fitness88

You dont need the Oculus Debug Tool,

the Pixel Density Option is Built into DCS / Options / VR Tab.

Dunno why you'd see a difference, unless the Debug tool is using a different option now.

I know they disabled the DirectDisplayConfig.exe On/Off Command to enable you to easily adjust color/brightness settings..

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

You dont need the Oculus Debug Tool,

the Pixel Density Option is Built into DCS / Options / VR Tab.

Dunno why you'd see a difference, unless the Debug tool is using a different option now.

I know they disabled the DirectDisplayConfig.exe On/Off Command to enable you to easily adjust color/brightness settings..

As mentioned in the first post:

'Pixels Per Display Pixel Override in ODT looks significantly less blurry than 1.3 PD using the in game setting'

That's why I wanted to try it, actually I had it working when I originally downloaded it over a week ago but this new download gives me the error I posted above.

How exactly were you adjusting color/brightness settings in Oculus Rift?

Edited by fitness88

The oculus run time 1.13 will update automatically you will also need the 1.13 version of the Debug tool.

Game mode in windows creators edition makes no difference in performance in DCS for me I leave turned off.

Edited by freehand

The oculus run time 1.13 will update automatically you will also need the 1.13 version of the Debug tool.

Game mode in windows creators edition makes no difference in performance in DCS for me I leave turned off.

I hear you...I'm not really impressed by game mode either.