ATC v. bearing pointer

fitness88

When ATC gives you a heading when you call 'inbound' where exactly does that heading point to, the airfield or lined up on final a few miles out?

On the HSI, where exactly does the bearing pointer point to, to the airfield or a few miles out on final?

Same question for when you call into ATC to get a bearing to the airport [not calling inbound]?

Thank you.

Hello,

I don't interact with AI very often, but last time I followed a vector, it took me to a glide path intercept. I've given up on this as they won't even point you into the wind for landing.

Pointers point towards the beacons, so it depends where it is located in relation to the airfield. You see them next to or in-line with runways most often.

Now, it seems to me if you know enough to ask this, you were in the situation to learn the answer by just following the instruction you were given by the ATC(?) :)

There can sometimes be a big difference between what the manuals say is supposed to happen and what actually does in DCS. Translations can make it hard to learn also.

Best wishes and enjoy,

ATC usually vectors you to a "long final" position on the landing glideslope. Perhaps I should say a "very long final". Not needing a 10km final, our Squadron usually follows the vector until we see the airbase then enter a shorter pattern for the landing.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Don't use the ATC for landing, it's a bit janky.

I use the kneeboard (Rshift + K, [ and ] to turn page) to get the data I need then use the Mk.1 Eyeball to land.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

Thanks you for the clarification. I always thought the HSI bearing pointer pointed to around the threshold and inbound from ATC pointed me to an intercept point 5-10 out for final. I just experienced something for the first time which is why I'm asking; as I was about 5-7km out in a Mig-29 flying my HSI bearing pointer it suddenly shifted to what looked like the threshold area which I never saw it do. So I was wondering what it was originally pointing to since I always thought the bearing pointed only had 1 area per airport that it pointed to. Also I remember ATC would not only vector you to intercept final but would also tell you the new heading to take for final when you were close to the intercept point.

Also unless it's discontinued, based on wind direction certain airfields would reverse your final approach direction.

Edited by fitness88

Is it possible, your plane was in RTN (Return) Mode, pointing to the long Final, then by overflying, the plane switched to LNDG (Landing) mode pointing to the runway?

This is what i experienced in the SU27.

Specs:

System: Asus Z170-E, I7 6700K, 16GB DDR4, Asus GTX1070 8GB, 1TB M2 SSD + 2x 250GB SSD,TrackIR, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder

Modules: A-10C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, F5E, M2000, AJS37, AV8b, F18C

Is it possible, your plane was in RTN (Return) Mode, pointing to the long Final, then by overflying, the plane switched to LNDG (Landing) mode pointing to the runway?

This is what i experienced in the SU27.

Yes entirely possible thanks...I will fly soon and test it out again this time paying more attention. It's just a bit tougher in the Mig without way point indicators so I'll use RTN instead of ENR and see if it switches to LNDG when I over fly.

Thanks.