Difficult landing training

draconus

Rtfm doesn't help much since it says nothing about weight takeoff or landing weight when mentioning the speeds!

Yeah, the speeds provided are a bit on the edge but then it says in all caps "IF THERE ARE EXTERNAL PAYLOADS OR A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF FUEL YOU SHOULD INCREASE YOUR AIR SPEED TO ALLOW THE DESIRED ANGLE OF ATTACK." There were also good tips on crosswind landing and advice to not use the parachute in this situation.

@Ironhand: I have not tried to land in the field yet but I once belly landed instead ;)

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Where did you find the 'all caps' part? And what is a 'considerable amount of fuel' since the internal fuel increases the Su-25s DOW by more than 30%.

Su-25: DCS Flaming Cliffs Flight Manual - page #54

I would consider more than 30% internal as considerable. Just interpretation.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Isn't this for the Su-25? Your initial post was about the Su-25T.

The "special" landing section for both are exactly the same but T's manual is lacking Flight School part for no reason. And it's a really good part focusing on flying by AoA in particular.

Edited by draconus

I've found flying an AoA so much simpler than trying to calculate the required landing speed for your weight. So much so that, when I'm in a pit without the AoA dial (or HUD equivalent), I feel a bit uneasy. :)

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I must admit I've become really lazy with my landing procedures. Keep the runway threshold in the lower third of the HUD until it feels about right to start flaring :D

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I must admit I've become really lazy with my landing procedures. Keep the runway threshold in the lower third of the HUD until it feels about right to start flaring :D

Well...there IS that approach, too. Truth be told, I’ve been known to go there, too.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.