AIM-120C S Mode (AUTO or MAN)

dresoccer4

Hi all, quick question - can someone explain what the S MODE (AUTO or MAN) is when the 120C is selected?

thanks@

I found this:

"The Radar can support trackfiles and AMRAAM data link while in RWS, however there is no AUTO scan centering to maintain the trackfile and additional latency in RWS may decrease Pk. Therefore, for any CIA-type AMRAAM launch from RWS, the MC immediately commands the Radar to TWS with AUTO scan centering. The automatic selection of TWS mode actually occurs for any CIA launch from any Radar mode except STT. For an STT launch, the Radar remains in STT, however the Return-to-Search mode indicated at [PB5] is for TWS regardless of what the previous Radar mode was.

The Radar may subsequently be returned to RWS post-launch, and data link support is maintained, however AUTO scan centering is lost and the data link transmission rate will diminish.

While in RWS, the the ASE and steering dot, as well as the launch zones and TTG cuing for the designated L&S target continue to be displayed. The SHOOT cue is suppressed from RWS mode to encourage the selection of TWS mode prior to launch."

I found this:

The Radar may subsequently be returned to RWS post-launch, and data link support is maintained, however AUTO scan centering is lost and the data link transmission rate will diminish.

While in RWS, the the ASE and steering dot, as well as the launch zones and TTG cuing for the designated L&S target continue to be displayed. The SHOOT cue is suppressed from RWS mode to encourage the selection of TWS mode prior to launch."

thanks...though i'm not sure i really understood any of that :huh:

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

thanks...though i'm not sure i really understood any of that :huh:

Hah, me neither...I did some searching and found that info along with a whole bunch more, but just copied and pasted what I thought was close to your question...I too, would like to know how it works as a couple of times I switched it to AUTO just to see what happens....but it seemed to fit into place when talking about locking CIA (Command Inertial Active) mode and AUTO scan centering being selected so that track files are not degraded over time...at least that's my take....in any event, I really don't think it's functional (W.I.P.) at the moment...but soon :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Not to raise a dead thread but I can’t find any info on this. Any updates on if it’s working yet and what exactly is the difference?

I haven't seen any yet. Let's speculate for fun... It may be related to 2 modes of Amraam's launch? One of them aforementioned CIA, the other Visual. When set to Auto, the launch mode might be set to CIA as soon as the target is bugged?.

I remember some of this from old F16C material. When launching in Bore, the missile was active off the rail and required 2 step launch sequence. Weapon release button and Uncage switch had to be pressed. I don't know if ED's Viper simulates this or some newer version... I haven't purchased it yet.:doh: Anyways, whatever it is, it is non functional yet. Or...

Edited by Gripes323