DCS: Me 262 Discussion - Page 32 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #311
JG13~Wulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFoxRomeo View Post
I think this is going to be the longest announced aircraft in DCS.

The Kickstarter project launched 05.September 2013, that's more than 6years now.

After the RRG desaster, mid 2014 ED took over the "plan" to develop this bird (among K4,Spitfire, P-47). I'm happy for that, don't get me wrong.

People are waiting longer for this DCS bird than you are active on these forums.
So "rush" in conjunction with this development does not fit here. As the development didn't even start yet, it's far away from rushed.

Initially is was scheduled behind the P-47. But the P-47 is also already late. 3 years.

It's like the real Me262. Early announced but then late to the theater of action.

There is no discussion about DM, AI weather etc. improvements. We all want them.
And you think there is no use for the 262 in the current DCS environment? Sorry you are wrong. Zius describes it perfectly. Of course more stuff is better.

Fox
I'm not english so not the best way to explain. But by "rushing it" I mean there are other more classic planes to make before this one. I know it is one of the planes we had in kickstarter list. But for ww2, it's not the plane we need today to develop the gameplay. I don't mean it's a useless plane for the game. But the use we can make of it is too limited by what we already have. I can't imagine how much people will complain of it if we have them in server like Burning Skies or in missions (It's not a dogfighter except in "games").

All the WW2 is poor now. Need to develop classic plane and basic stuff before making plane such as Me 262 or Me 163 or Gloster meteor, ... Would be awesome to fly it but before it, I would prefer to see oher things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
If you read the whole Wag's interview indeed he says they are different teams, so parallel development. All of it is coming together, it's not one thing or the other.

S!
Yes parallel dev. So Hope to see lot of things coming "at once". Not to have to wait "10 years" between every important new feature. But I think only one team work on WW2 module at ED. For me the Me 262 is not the priority. But it's not a plane to forget for too long :p
Old 10-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #312
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG13~Wulf View Post
Yes parallel dev. So Hope to see lot of things coming "at once". Not to have to wait "10 years" between every important new feature. But I think only one team work on WW2 module at ED. For me the Me 262 is not the priority. But it's not a plane to forget for too long :p
Well, look ten years back and you can see what we have now compared to that .

If we follow what's said in the interview, though not "promises" of course, P-47 Q1 2020, Mosquito sometime in [late]* 2020, so Me262 maybe sometime around Q1-2 2021, which is a lot to wait for kids but a blink to grown adults .

*(I guess)

S!
Old 10-23-2019, 03:26 AM   #313
streakeagle

The Me262 was a "promised" aircraft that a lot of people who paid money thought they were going to get. Like the NTTR terrain, it needs to be delivered despite the delays involved simply to make good on what people paid for rather being pushed back further to support other people's requests.

The current plane set focuses on some of the best fighters througout history as well as an equivalent opposition fighter from WW2 to the 1990s. The Me262 very much belongs in the plane set and to follow tradition, the Meteor should be added to provide an equivalent opponent (though I wouldn't mind a P-80, instead).

If DCS is going to prioritize whatever the forum crowd currently wants rather than meet its prior promises, I vote for the P-40B in AVG colors or maybe an F4F vs A6M2 dueling pair or an F6F vs A6M5 dueling pair. Any classic matchup from the Pacific would make me happy.

But make no mistake, if/when the Me262 goes up for preorder, I am buying it.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:40 AM   #314
Weta43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
The Me262 was a "promised" aircraft that a lot of people who paid money thought they were going to get.
Paid money for - but to a company that no longer exists, not to E.D...
Old 10-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #315
streakeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
Paid money for - but to a company that no longer exists, not to E.D...
But ED agreed that it had created a horrible situation by sanctioning the effort and took on the mantle of keeping the promises that had been made. Otherwise, I would not have received the Normandy terrain/assets pack and Fw190 and Bf109 for no further cash outlay.

The P-47 and Me262 are the only elements from the original promises not yet delivered. Why would they deliver everything else, but skip the Me262, which has already been "in progress"?
Old 10-24-2019, 12:41 AM   #316
Weta43
Veteran

& to date, they have been doing that, and they haven't said they won't continue to.

They have said they're having trouble getting detailed enough data to work with - that's a good reason.

Also - personally - I wouldn't expect them to put the highest possible priority developing modules that a significant part of the full price early adopters market will get for free...
Old 10-24-2019, 01:03 AM   #317
Hummingbird
Veteran

I don't think modelling the Me262 should be such a difficult task, esp. since we've got flying examples around today. The only caveat is the engines, but IIRC even an original Jumo 004 is being restored to full working order but with the heat resistant metals the German wanted to use but didn't have back then. Definitely the most interesting of the WW2 projects still going for ED, albeit I must admit the Mosquito has be intrigued, even if I know I don't see its use in DCS - atleast the 262 can fight other fighters, the Mosquito not so much.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #318
Weta43
Veteran

They may be flying, but do they have original engines / weight distribution, and is someone prepared to let E.D. put one in a wind tunnel / fly one hard to get some performance data.

If not - it makes the model & textures easy, but not much more...
Old 10-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #319
iFoxRomeo

Weta, you tend to be pessimistic. Why don't you try to be a little bit more optimistic.

Do you really think that the W/B with the non Jumo engines is out if the limits? Don't think so.
Flying to the limits? Why is that necessary? And asking for support costs only a little bit time and a few emails, to check if they can/want to help. And even the original Jumo engines are rebuild at a heritage foundation in the States.

ED could get in contact with https://www.flugmuseum-messerschmitt.de (Well I hope they are already) I can offer my help for translation and help in communication (english-german)

Fox
iFoxRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #320
Ala13_ManOWar

Luckily, real flying examples are only useful to ask their pilots for hints and tips. Flight data for the model is usually gotten from original documents and NACA old tests. Otherwise we wouldn't have any WWII module, not a single one.

S!