change names of cities, airports... ?

popov

Hi, anybody knows if its possible to change the names of all the cities and airports found in the maps, either in Nevada or Caucasus ... any .lua related edit on this ?:helpsmilie:

My intention with this would be to have a mod so we cuold reuse either theater of operation and change it into somewhere else in the world, as or fictionnal place other than our old Georgia for example... or using African countries for Nevada map...

thx a bunch

PopovQc (425 ETACv Alouettes)

Montreal, Québec, Canada

Je parle français et anglais - I speak French & English.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz (8 cpu), Motherboard : ASUS Sabertooth X79, 16GigRam, DX11, Win10, GeForce RTX2070 8GB & Oculus Rift S & HP Reverb :P

Believe me, I have no any idea about how to do that.

But, I just imagine; even if you can make changes on map (F10), you will have to change/modify ABRIS map (Ka-50), TAD map (A-10C) and kneeboard map (all aircrafts) as well.

I think it would be very exhausted for mod author.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

actually for now the reply we get are speculation on how labor intensive it is or not...we just dont know if its possible.

But I beleive there is a file with all names inside that you can change once in this file and this would affect all other items linked to this... F10 map. but I think of course this would not change the bitmap maps included in the TAD of the A-10C and the ABRIS map of the KA-50.

but again... does this file exist and is it possible to change ... ? that is the question :(

ED please make this possible ... would be so usefull.

Montreal, Québec, Canada

i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz (8 cpu), Motherboard : ASUS Sabertooth X79, 16GigRam, DX11, Win10, GeForce RTX2070 8GB & Oculus Rift S & HP Reverb :P

check towns.lua in :

...\DCS World\Mods\terrains\CaucasusBase\ or Nevada\

don't know if it's related only to ABRIS for Ka-50 or something in the map.

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Either way you end up with a Caucasus Map that still looks like a Caucasus Map, and there is no disguising that.

I thought about it way back in the days of Flaming Cliffs and decided then it was too much work for very little gain.

Using mods like the Starway Desert or Vietnam texture mods drastically changes the way you perceive the map.

Changing city names to African, Middle-Eastern, South American or Asian can make a good difference in atmosphere.

I support this request fully.

Caucassus is as Caucassus as its name. Not its landscape, which is extremely generic anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/konotani

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Asus PG278Q Rog Swift 27-INCH G-SYNC

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals (used as Rudders)

Thrustmaster T300 Arcantera Wheel

Obutto R3volution rig

Either way you end up with a Caucasus Map that still looks like a Caucasus Map, and there is no disguising that.

I thought about it way back in the days of Flaming Cliffs and decided then it was too much work for very little gain.

I personnaly dont mind about the model of the Caucasus, if only we could change the names of cities, etc, some people you know would find this usefull. Your comment is in other terms personnal and non very cunstructive regarding this topic. If you dont like it it's ok, it's your right, but I just dont get why you took time only to respond to this post... ?

Montreal, Québec, Canada

check towns.lua in :

...\DCS World\Mods\terrains\CaucasusBase\ or Nevada\

don't know if it's related only to ABRIS for Ka-50 or something in the map.

Mmm... just tried it... I tried to change only one name in this list, POTI for TONY and it seams not to work. I checked in the mission editor map and in flight with F-10 map. Unfortunatly I didnt get it to work :cry:

Thx chromium for your help on this

Montreal, Québec, Canada

Mmm... just tried it... I tried to change only one name in this list, POTI for TONY and it seams not to work. I checked in the mission editor map and in flight with F-10 map. Unfortunatly I didnt get it to work :cry:

Thx chromium for your help on this

sad, probably those tables are only for Ka-50 ABRIS or some kind of other things :(

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

actually for now the reply we get are speculation on how labor intensive it is or not...we just dont know if its possible.

It isn't possible (to the best of my knowledge).

The city names and so on are quite 'hardcoded' (they are not really hardcoded, but I don't want to go into too much detail), just like other localizable items.

- Deutsche Tutorials und DCS Gameplay: youtube.com/Rakuzard | raku.yt/discord -

I personnaly dont mind about the model of the Caucasus, if only we could change the names of cities, etc, some people you know would find this usefull. Your comment is in other terms personnal and non very cunstructive regarding this topic. If you dont like it it's ok, it's your right, but I just dont get why you took time only to respond to this post... ?

I took the time because I have been around this Sim for many years and I have done something very similar to my game, and I was prepared to offer some practical advice on how you can moderise your airfields and maps.

A lot of what you want to do can be done and has been done in some measure in the past, some of it can't be done at all.

However, I regret you appear offended by my interest, so I'll keep my constructive advice for others who might appreciate it and I wish you well with your project.

• 1 year later...

Dear crazyeddy

I am trying to amend the caucasus map by renaming some of the towns into korean ones to simulate area......

would you be so kind to point me in the right direction to do this ?

tried the towns.lua but without success.

many thanks in advance

brgds maks