Mission builder newby

GazAce

Hey good Pilots,

Well I just caught the mission building bug and I’m lovin it, man I’m pretty hooked. I’m only just starting out but just the other day managed to put a simple yet rewarding little mission together using the “create fast mission” option just adding stuff. I strung together a bunch of WPs, a few diff unit columns, a little briefing and even got a few triggers happening with a happy mission success mesg at the end. Here’s the thing tho, when I made one from scratch as in not using the fast option, when I finished and launched all I could see was everything from F10 overhead map view and my AC and wingmen weren’t there but all the other units and rotors and things were active. I’m scratching my head thinking where did I go wrong? I dble checked everything. I fly A-10C and only SP. And also how does one add JTAC to a mission or does it spawn by default? And is there anywhere else besides YouTube to seek any info with mission building in DCS?

Any help much appreciated. Cheers G

:)

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

... And is there anywhere else besides YouTube to seek any info with mission building in DCS?

Probably the best resurce is on the Mission Builders SubForum, tough the information has to be searched within, rather than being on an ordered fashion:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=210

I learned to create my missions following this great Tutorial series, by Ranger79:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The F10 problem is probably as simple as not changing at least 1 aircraft from AI to either client or player in the "skill" drop down menu.

JTAC depends on a number of factors. First You must place a suitable vehicle, then set up a JTAC role for it in the advanced waypoint options. (Perform Task; FAC - Assign Group; and allocate a target). You will also find it helps to add (Set Option; ROE; Weapon Hold) and (Perform Command; Immortal AND Invisible) to ensure survivability, and ensure that the JTAC doesn't just eliminate all the nearby opposition. Finally, in the "Battlefield Commanders" Tab (click on the two crossed flags menu button) ensure that there are JTACs available in the mission/multiplayer roles. They can be made to spawn under triggers too of course.

Do a search here for more info on mission building. It is a hugely complex subject.

Probably the best resurce is on the Mission Builders SubForum, tough the information has to be searched within, rather than being on an ordered fashion:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=210

I learned to create my missions following this great Tutorial series, by Ranger79:

Thanks heaps Rudel man, appreciate that mate.

Yes I've seen just about all of the tutorials on You Tube and yep R79's 7 parta is awesome and I'm going to go thru it again and there are a few others that are really good too but I'm finding most of them are more directed towards mp. And some of the lingo and options I'm not savvy with like Flag is True and Flag On and quite a few other things. I realise that it's difficult to go through every aspect of mission building as it's incredibly time consuming. It's mainly the trigger actions that I'm trying to learn. I'm hoping the DCS manual will be updated soon to incl a fresh section on mission building for single and multi players, as the current one is quite outdated.

Thanks again and thank you for that link man.

Cheers G

smile.gif

Edited by GazAce

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

The F10 problem is probably as simple as not changing at least 1 aircraft from AI to either client or player in the "skill" drop down menu.

JTAC depends on a number of factors. First You must place a suitable vehicle, then set up a JTAC role for it in the advanced waypoint options. (Perform Task; FAC - Assign Group; and allocate a target). You will also find it helps to add (Set Option; ROE; Weapon Hold) and (Perform Command; Immortal AND Invisible) to ensure survivability, and ensure that the JTAC doesn't just eliminate all the nearby opposition. Finally, in the "Battlefield Commanders" Tab (click on the two crossed flags menu button) ensure that there are JTACs available in the mission/multiplayer roles. They can be made to spawn under triggers too of course.

Do a search here for more info on mission building. It is a hugely complex subject.

Thank you Neil, that's very kind of you man.

Yes I did check that drop down and I select myself as "Player" and when that didn't work I tried removing both wingmen to see if that was the issue but no go, I'm still looking at the action from above. I built it at Nellis as a Runway start so I'm not sure if there is any probs concerning that location. I'll keep trying but it can be frustrating sometimes when your not sure what does what or what to do next. Well, thank you kindly for putting those tips up concerning JTAC as I love plotting co-ords and then searching for them.

Thanks again mate, cheers G

thumbup.gif

Are you certain your takeoff time is at mission start?

If your mission starts at, say, Noon but your specific start time is at 12:10:00, you're going to watch F10 for ten minutes until you pop into your slot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Are you certain your takeoff time is at mission start?

If your mission starts at, say, Noon but your specific start time is at 12:10:00, you're going to watch F10 for ten minutes until you pop into your slot.

Thanks FP, mighty kind. I’m looking at it now actually but can’t seem to find anywhere else that suggests another time to choose other than what’s in my Start box’s that sits just below my required speed to WP and above my ADD EDIT DEL tabs? And can you tell me what is EPRLS(on)a that appears in my Advance WP options? My AC has that set yet my WM has his as CAS but with the option of EPRLS. Sorry man I’ve got so many questions.

Oh and I just noticed something.. I had the box that locks the required time of arrival to the WP ticked! So maybe that was causing a problem with the start, you think?

Attach your Miz in zipfolder and someone can take a lok at it to see why your AC isn't showing up.

Thanks kindly cthulhu68, appreciate the advice man. I've already deleted that one and restarted another from scratch and this time it worked but I can't seem to contact JTAC, I gave them a target and thought I was sure that they were in fact a JTAC vehicle but how do I know which vehicles are the ones which carry them? Is that determined by the initial set up of options relating to JTAC, I mean if the vehicle wasn't one, could those settings be implemented in the first place ie: invisible, hold etc? And do I need to give my wingmen a specific WP plan? Because when I just selected CAS for him he seemed to go off without me, I thought he would fly with me on my plan.Trial an error I guess and more You Tube tutorials.

Thanks again mate for showing interest.

Cheers G :thumbup:

Ok! Beautiful! Update:I just nailed down the whole JTAC thing. I wasn't adding a specific option which caused him not to show up. Much happier now and slowly slowly getting there wink.gif

Edited by GazAce