Q & A F8F Bearcat

While I know the Bearcat is still a shimmer on the horizon! I'm glad that VEAO has a start on this awesome aircraft. It will be a great addition to the WW 2 collection of warbirds!

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by Cool Breeze
Changing the video link.
  • Like 1

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

• 4 weeks later...
Hi PMan,

Will there be an option for automatic prop control of the likes of IL-2 BOS? And while I'm sure I could do some digging to find out, does the mixture of the modeled 2800 function similarly to that of the mustang ?

Best regards,

GE364

I am not aware of an automatic pitch control on the bearcat, I will have to examine my manuals abit more but I don't recall seeing one.

How do you mean the mixture? you mean via a mixture control lever?

Pman

I am not aware of an automatic pitch control on the bearcat, I will have to examine my manuals abit more but I don't recall seeing one.

How do you mean the mixture? you mean via a mixture control lever?

Pman

I was more referring to the option in battle of stalingrad to have the computer control the aircraft's propeller pitch/engine rpm. As for mixture, my understanding is that on the -2 model the mixture control is either idle cutoff, normal, full ritch or by setting it in between idle cutoff and normal, manual leaning.

(http://www.avialogs.com/viewer/avialogs-documentviewer.php?id=3380) <page 11

• 3 months later...

I personally would frown on any mixture/pitch automation where it didn't exist. I have a feeling it will go against the philosophy of VEAO to add any artificial aids like that too.

I guess the real question now will be whether the Mossie or Tigercat will be VEAOs first twin prop venture?

• 2 weeks later...
I personally would frown on any mixture/pitch automation where it didn't exist. I have a feeling it will go against the philosophy of VEAO to add any artificial aids like that too.

the pilots operating handbook I found online says that the 'cat is fitted with a mixture control that is either idle cutoff, normal, full rich or by setting it in between idle cutoff and normal, manual leaning. its similar to the type used on the mustang.

Pitch is your normal run of the mill. the -2 is fitted with an "automatic engine control" that regulates manifold pressure as set by the pilot using the "boost control" (throttle). the system also changes supercharger blower levels. the book hints at the possibility that the AEC was not originally available or installed on all -2's, but they were to be fitted.

Also auto cowling flaps!. These systems seem pretty similar to the FW 190's.

So we're talking about a regulator mechanism to optimise the mixture settings applied by the pilot. I presume the pilot will still need to set mixture to the appropriate position for start up, climb, cruise etc, but altitude and mixture settings to match throttle settings will be automatic?

So we're talking about a regulator mechanism to optimise the mixture settings applied by the pilot. I presume the pilot will still need to set mixture to the appropriate position for start up, climb, cruise etc, but altitude and mixture settings to match throttle settings will be automatic?

the POH says that for engine start the mixture lever is moved from idle cutoff through normal to full rich while the starter is held. takeoff is full rich as per norm. During cruise and combat the mixture should be set to normal unless CHT cannot be maintained, then the mixture is set full rich.

http://www.avialogs.com/viewer/avialogs-documentviewer.php?id=3380

pages 47,49,50, and 61 (on the viewer, not in book)

Is there a manual override for the cowling flaps for takeoff and things?

I'm sure I've seen that control somewhere

there is!, the switch has several positions. up is auto, middle is off, or a sort of hold position when in Manuel mode, and Manuel open is down left, and close is down right. However, the -2 is apparently not fitted with an auto setting according to the manual.(page 12, right column)

The oil cooler is full manual control, with only open and close, no in between. It cannot be open at speeds above 250 knots.