F16 joystick/HOTAS discussion

DeltaMike

I might have a set of gimbals in a box...let me look and see...

:thumbup:

Better alternative, a 3D printed "UberNXT" clone: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195464

I saw this indeed, but is requires a lot of work, time (I don't have much spare time unfortunately) and modding (incl. buying a new PCB).

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally a module that comes with standard mapping for the FSSB R3!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244404&page=2

Those of you using a R3 make sure to check out Mark_Cassidy's script that will produce aural feedback based on stick deflection through your headset/loudspeaker. It's a must!

http://www.realsimulator.com/FSSB_R3_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=172

The Gripen sound profile is available in the same thread!

Really looking forward to the F-16! Now, if I can only get my old Cougar Throttle pots to stop bounce with the beat.....

Sooo a couple things. for the audible sound. I can't find where to register an account on the realsimulator forum to download the script. And If you all could like tell them to put the fssb v3 lighting on sale for me that'd be greattttt. :D

Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8Ghz, Asus RoG Maximus X Formula, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, EVGA Geforce 2080 Super, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 M.2, 500GB Samsung Pro 860 SSD.

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Acer 23" x2, Oculus Rift S, FSSB3 Lighting

HAHA right? hey, while it would be nice to have the correct Throttle, this will have to do. I wish there was an updated cougar throttle of the same quality. Maybe someday.

Yeah I got a old NIB cougar back when the 16 was announced at a not terrible price. That plus TSUBA it works well for now. I wouldn't mind if TM releasted an updated throttle though. About the only thing I don't like is that there is no flap switch.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think he's talking about using it to fly other aircraft as well.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I think he's talking about using it to fly other aircraft as well.

Correct I use it to fly most single engine planes when I can make a button layout work. So I.e. for a mig21 or viggen it would be nice to have a flap switch. Or some additional generic flip switches on the body that I could map for whatever, though I seldom use those in VR (but they are handy here and there).

For the F16, it turns out the F16 TQS is "perfect" :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

So I'm confused. FSSB was originally designed for the Cougar, but now the R3 seems exclusive for the Warthog. Are they compatible, or is there an alternative to upgrade my cougar to Force-Sensing with similar quality? I haven't looked at this stuff in 10 years or more...

The FSSB R3 Lighting base works with the Cougar stick top just fine. Its not an "upgrade" but a completely new stick that is compatible with TM sticktops tbh.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

So I'm confused. FSSB was originally designed for the Cougar, but now the R3 seems exclusive for the Warthog. Are they compatible, or is there an alternative to upgrade my cougar to Force-Sensing with similar quality? I haven't looked at this stuff in 10 years or more...

The R3 is a stand alone product, you only need a joystick handle like the hornet addon, warthog, or the original cougar grip.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The R3 is a stand alone product, you only need a joystick handle like the hornet addon, warthog, or the original cougar grip.

Except it says it can connect with the existing Warthog electronics board. If it can also still integrate with the Cougar board then I need to seriously set aside monies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats an optional step. You dont NEED to integrate it with the existing board. I havn't done it with the Warthog and I see no need to as I don't use TARGET. It's not compatible with the old cougar board as there is nowhere for it to fit inside the new base.

Proud owner of:

I have no idea why you'd buy the R2 When you can just buy the R3L for the same price and get a much smaller footprint with better hardware and software.

EDIT - Previous (now deleted post) suggested that you can still buy the R2 if you're looking for Cougar compatibility.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

Except it says it can connect with the existing Warthog electronics board. If it can also still integrate with the Cougar board then I need to seriously set aside monies

Except you don't need to, it is a stand alone product. I use one without any pieces of my warthog, except for the stick handle.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The FSSB3L will NOT integrate with the Cougar board. It will integrate with the Cougar stick GRIP only. It Will integrate with the Warthog board, however I see no reason I'd ever want it to. I don't use TARGET for DCS and that would be the only reason to do so. Once my F16SGRH arrives my Warthog will be a backup.

IMG_7985_zps2icuflib.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

The only thing I am seriously looking at is a way to add the idle and AB cutout and lock...I know I can add functions to the board thats installed. How to physically add the functions is the challenge.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I've read a bit through this thread and I don't understand why nobody mentioned Vipergear force sensor mod for the Cougar. I read only positive things about it (these reviews are hard to find though, I must admit) and it's half the price of FSSB2

It's that I have to take it slow with my spendings (after building a new playseat and purchasing Pointctrl) but otherwise I would pull the trigger :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH