UH-1 Skins.

JesseJames38

Done--With a few minor mistakes

Ukhtral:

Good on you, Mate! I've been flying since I was 17--34 years now--you do the math. I still remember the great feeling when I finished my pvt pilot exam.

This has been a great tool for learning Photoshop and lots of other things. Good brain candy.

Here are some shots and I have it all stuffed in a .rar file for you as soon as I learn how to link to that. SEE BELOW

picture.php?albumid=809&pictureid=5639

picture.php?albumid=809&pictureid=5640

picture.php?albumid=809&pictureid=5641

Here is the link to the skin: http://www70.zippyshare.com/v/43505428/file.html

Updated 07/02/2013

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Crashmo

I would love to have a Canadian CH-118 skin. Doesn't look too difficult to make either.

sarhuey2.jpg

... If anyone has free time on their hands :thumbup:

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll add them on if you want. The following is a list of the panels.

"STEP"

"ACCESS FOR FIRE EXTINGUISHER"

"ENGINE OIL TANK INSIDE MIL-L-23699 OIL ABOVE -25F MIL-L-7808 OIL BELOW -25F"

"TURN SLIDE"

"TURN PULL"

"JETTISON HANDLE INSIDE"

311Gryphon:

Can you explain how you get the text on the skins? Or is that a lengthy exercise? I couldn't get fonts small enough in some areas. "Perigo" on the red arrows.

Also--where the hell is the rotating beacon base. I'm sure I painted it because it comes out my base color, but I want it another color and cannot find it on the template.

Thanks. pm me if you want.

Can anyone tell me how to upload and/or set a link here to a .rar file please? I've just spent the last 1/2 hour looking for info. :(

I just stared using http://www.zippyshare.com the other day. It requires a login but it's easy to upload. I think it will work with .rar. I was using .zip.

Otherwise the DCS user files but that takes a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

311Gryphon:

Can you explain how you get the text on the skins? Or is that a lengthy exercise? I couldn't get fonts small enough in some areas. "Perigo" on the red arrows.

Also--where the hell is the rotating beacon base. I'm sure I painted it because it comes out my base color, but I want it another color and cannot find it on the template.

Thanks. pm me if you want.

It may be beneficial for others for me to answer here, and I have a feeling others have a better idea on this than I do.

Putting the text on the skins is something that frustrates me quite a bit. I use GIMP and I've used every single font they have in the text function and none of them are perfect for the types of fonts that go on these skins. So basically I create a new layer (or duplicate a layer that has text in it if I need to so I can edit those words) and just type whatever I want to type. Then I can change the color, move it, rotate it, scale it, etc. That gets a little tricky in GIMP because the text boxes behave oddly compared to the layers and if the text box is in it's own text layer it won't move with the normal move command, but it's not that hard once you know the quirks.

I had some issues with the "PERIGO" text as well, and it looked awful when I first put it on the texture. But it feathered nicely and in game you won't notice unless perhaps you are able to zoom right in on it and look at it pixel by pixel.

I'm not sure on the beacon base. I'm still a bit confused about where some things are in the textures. I'm befuddled by the handle things on the end of the tail boom that seem to not be on the tail boom in the texture but take on the color of the tail boom in game.

One thing I did in A-10C to find out where things were was to set up a goofy, multi-color layer that I could make invisible easily when done with it. Then I would create the appropriate .dds files then go into the game and take lots of screenshots all around the model. Then I would go back to the texture files in GIMP and start labeling parts of the texture with yet another layer so I could reference it. It takes some time and smaller parts are very hard to find even that way, but if you section the textures of with different colored lines (kind of a grid pattern of various colors, or various colored boxes) you'll eventually find everything. Time consuming and it stinks but in the end you'll have everything mapped and layered so that future skins are easier to do.

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would love to have a Canadian CH-118 skin. Doesn't look too difficult to make either.

sarhuey2.jpg

That one would actually be pretty easy I think. I may try it this weekend....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have marked the beacon base on the picture.

test.jpg

For the font I am using 1.5 Pt hight an it is good to read, as you can see at the white text.

DCS Mods and Skins: HiDrive

Use the NAS only if the other Link is not working - it's slow!
My DCS MODs and Skins: NAS

Thanks for the explanation.

All of my fonts only go down to 6 pt. Not small enough for the Perigo to fit on the red arrow.

The "handles" are VOR antennas. And you're right, no visible template so my red danger stripe just painted over those too.

RCN_Moose did a great tutorial for older skins, but the Ka-50 has a great base template that he showed in a .pdf file in broken order. It was easy to find parts that way.

picture.php?albumid=810&pictureid=5642

picture.php?albumid=810&pictureid=5643

For the font I am using 1.5 Pt hight an it is good to read, as you can see at the white text.

Outstanding. Now for more color.

How do you get smaller than 6 pt font in Photoshop? I googled a lot and found nothing.

That one would actually be pretty easy I think. I may try it this weekend....

That's what I thought. And I think it looks pretty good, too. I would be very grateful if you could make it.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sarhuey2.jpg

3 quarters of the way finished with this mate... A few hours hopefully tomorrow nigth and it will be complete!

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

When you place your text flashing bar onto a layer, at the top of your workspace you will see the option to change your pt size, usually 10, 12, 14 etc. Just type in there 1.5.

Or do as I do, write the text in size 10 or 12, then highlight it, and then change the text size to suit by doing the above.

3 quarters of the way finished with this mate... A few hours hopefully tomorrow nigth and it will be complete!

Sounds good. Can't wait to see your work!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I cannot find this menu in Photoshop CS5--can you please guide me to it. I have spent time looking.

From the menu bar: Window --> Paragraph

On the right side a new icon will appear and it will open the Paragraph box. Notice there are two tabs there, click the 'CHARACTER' tab.

ACS_text_size_adjustment.thumb.jpg.f9e6cdab24658a616f44e68c65279360.jpg

Regards,

=170= Sven ☠ 2157

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel 7th Gen. i7-7700K | NZXT Kraken 41 Liquid CPU Cooler |  MSI Z270 M3 Gaming LGA 1151 | Cooler Master V1000 80+ Gold PSU | EVGA GTX 1070 | EVGA GTX 1060 (Dedicated Physx) | 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB PC4-19200 | 128GB Toshiba OCZ RD400 SSD NVMe M.2 (System Disk) | 2TB RAID 10 (4 x Seagate ST1000DX002 FireCuda SSHD) (Files Disk) |  64GB Intel Cache Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | 48GB Page Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | NZXT H440 Razer Edition Case | 1 x ViewSonic VG2439m-LED 24" [MAIN] (GTX 1070) | 2 x ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED 24" [LEFT/RIGHT] (GTX 1060)

I only got this far mate!

You carry on with yours!

Unless someone wants to finish the top parts and underneath, for the red/black graphic.

9EKct6A.jpg

Skin can be downloaded from here.. 99% complete..

http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/1456167/file.html

Just realised that the lettering looks a bit off in that photo! I swear it isn't like that in game! Someone confirm for me?

I only got this far mate!

You carry on with yours!

Will do, I just need to find the time, work keeps interfering with my hobby. I also want to do the pilots too

Unless someone wants to finish the top parts and underneath, for the red/black graphic.

Hahaha That's the hardest part for me since the red bands do not want to align to the top and bottom of the helo and bend at the ends.

Speed is life !!!

No problem. Good luck on your private pilot exam!

If you get a chance, there are some doors and panels with words on them that I deleted on the textures I made (I left some but deleted some others). I'm not sure if they are on the Brazilian UH-1s but if you can translate them I'll add them on if you want. The following is a list of the panels.

"STEP"

"ACCESS FOR FIRE EXTINGUISHER"

"ENGINE OIL TANK INSIDE MIL-L-23699 OIL ABOVE -25F MIL-L-7808 OIL BELOW -25F"

"TURN SLIDE"

"TURN PULL"

"JETTISON HANDLE INSIDE"

If these would not be on the real chopper I won't include them, or if other oils would be used in Brasil and someone knows what those would be I'll change that - otherwise I'll leave them as the Mil-Std on the chopper now.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Gryphon !

Well on panels we normally use the english language too (like the plane I'm doing my PP course, the AMT-600, it's a brazilian project but we do have some english words). So I don't believe it's wrong doing it in english. But at doors and temperature I need to confirm, because here we use ºC and not F. I'll try to contact my friend and tell you !

Ukhtral:

Good on you, Mate! I've been flying since I was 17--34 years now--you do the math. I still remember the great feeling when I finished my pvt pilot exam.

This has been a great tool for learning Photoshop and lots of other things. Good brain candy.

Here are some shots and I have it all stuffed in a .rar file for you as soon as I learn how to link to that. SEE BELOW

picture.php?albumid=809&pictureid=5639

picture.php?albumid=809&pictureid=5640

picture.php?albumid=809&pictureid=5641

Here is the link to the skin: http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/2922765/file.html

Let me know what you think.

Well, I did just 2 flights, so you are an ACE for me LOL.

Here in Brazil the private pilot exam is different from USA. We can only fly 15h without doing a writting exam at ANAC (National Civilian Aviation Agency). So I'll do this exam on Monday, after that I can fly all the 40h and do my check flight :smilewink:

For me this skin is just perfect !

I'll try to get some more photos form it, but it's hard now because our air force is deactivating the Hueys and buying Blackhawks (wich is damn beautiful bird too!)

Below 2 pictures from our last camo pattern:

- http://guarulhos.org/basp/avioes/uh-1h_1.jpg

- http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/1/2/4/1457421.jpg

Thanks again guys !

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the stripes to match up, all sorts of warp transforming blah blah blah and I still couldn't get it so that I would be happy with it..

So, two versions below, one with a single red stripe and a plain yellow version.

Sorry IonicRipper, maybe someone with more photoshop fu can finish it.

Plain..

hQwxiAC.jpg

VdLRjbH.jpg

ClZdxqY.jpg

Single Side Stripe

DlBt2l0.jpg

lDpqsFo.jpg

Download links until DCS approve them...

Download page on DCS..

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/377043/

If anyone wants my psd files they are here.

http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/94320265/file.html

Edited by marker