New Huey Model

Jim Bob

Hi everyone!

So the latest DCS World update I received a few days ago appears to include an updated Huey model and improved external sound. I haven't seen these mentioned in patch notes though. Has anyone else noticed these updates?

The main reason I ask is because i'm now looking for layered templates of the new model to make skins. Does anyone know if these are available?

Cheers,

Jim

Yeah I made a booboo with the model thing. After the update, I threw myself into a mission and realised the WSPS (cable cutters) had disappeared. But doing a mission just now, it seems they are linked to the external hardpoints, and as such, are only equipped the same. Sorry!:poster_oops:

There is definitely an external sound update though. There's a new sound file in the huey folder whose time/date stamps match that of the latest update. I haven't installed any mods other than a few skins. :dunno:

Yeah I made a booboo with the model thing. After the update, I threw myself into a mission and realised the WSPS (cable cutters) had disappeared. But doing a mission just now, it seems they are linked to the external hardpoints, and as such, are only equipped the same. Sorry!:poster_oops:

There is definitely an external sound update though. There's a new sound file in the huey folder whose time/date stamps match that of the latest update. I haven't installed any mods other than a few skins. :dunno:

Good catch!

I think after some compliants (including me :D) they solved the sound problem!

I have been using skull's sound mod which is perfect, so i hadn't bothered original sounds for a long time. Now i disabled the mod to check your claim, yes it is true. Now it sounds like a huey now.

But i didin't noticed any 3d model changes

Edited by ebabil

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Good catch!

I think after some compliants (including me :D) they solved the sound problem!

I have been using skull's sound mod which is perfect, so i hadn't bothered original sounds for a long time. Now i disabled the mod to check your claim, yes it is true. Now it sounds like a huey now.

But i didin't noticed any 3d model changes

Thanks for the reply, ebabil. Yeah the 3D model was my own mistake because i'm still relatively new to the Huey, and it was the first time i'd flown it without hardpoints. Seeing that the WSPS had disappeared as well, I thought it had been updated!

The sound is epic now! It really does sound like a Huey, especially when it's some distance away from the camera. It makes for some awesome replay viewing! :P

Dirty glazing are an essential part of chopper operations.

Dirty glazing is a tool that the operator uses. The MI-8 has the option to choose dirty windows instead of unrealistic "childish gamer" crystal clear windows.

We need this option on all choppers.

I have never been in a chopper with such crystal clear glazing.............. NEVER!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Oh...I thought they might have scaled the cockpit down to a realistic scale. Looks like the roof is still miles away from your head..

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh...I thought they might have scaled the cockpit down to a realistic scale. Looks like the roof is still miles away from your head..

FOV thing?

Set at a realistic looking 70ish monitor FOV it looks good/correct size.

attachment.php?attachmentid=213133&stc=1&d=1562238286

cockpit_general.jpg

Screen_190704_205855.thumb.jpg.ff5152e429ec450c9ad271b3de269f43.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I am using VR - and trying to match my body to the pilot body in VR which is prob more the problem.

Comparing this position to sitting in a RL Huey (not comparing photos), it is too low. I have to duck my head to even see out the door window as my eyes are inline with the upper door frame IRL. Also need to duck slightly to read all the overhead panel labels. Am 5"10.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am using VR - and trying to match my body to the pilot body in VR which is prob more the problem.

Comparing this position to sitting in a RL Huey (not comparing photos), it is too low. I have to duck my head to even see out the door window as my eyes are inline with the upper door frame IRL. Also need to duck slightly to read all the overhead panel labels. Am 5"10.

Need a height option lol?

Look at the difference here....

gtbugk61hp311.jpg

It's hard if trying to align the body at x height, I duck a little and reset. Then sit back up.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

According to https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/helicopters/huey/ the Huey was released in 2013, when there was no VR support yet. All other older modules have the same problem of the cockpit having the wrong scale. I too hope it will get fixed, hopefully not long after we get the updated Ka-50.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

try adjusting the in game IPD setting.

reducing the number will make you feel squatter and wider.

im 5' 11" and adjusted it so it feels real for me.

in VR it has to do with the distance between your eyes and not your height.

for how the world scale feels.

start with setting your actual IPD. most people seem to find this better than the default.

and if you feel too tall and skinny. then reduce it.

to short and fat then increase it.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

i have to move my viewpoint forward a few inches, but other than that it feels fine. I've never been in a huey though.

that is actually why I started messing with IPD :)

every time I got in the gazelle I had to move my head a couple of inches back away from the gunsight using the default ipd. setting a custom ipd fixed it.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

The weird thing with the sound is, when you are on the ground, huey's sound is old bad sound. After it takes off, new sound set takes place

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 1 month later...

Dirty glazing is a tool that the operator uses. The MI-8 has the option to choose dirty windows instead of unrealistic "childish gamer" crystal clear windows.

I have never been in a chopper with such crystal clear glazing.............. NEVER!

You've also never been in a helicopter where the pilot had only one eye and it only had about half of its operating field of vision. This pilot also has no inner ear, and his leprosy has rendered him unable to feel anything through his skin. His one, poor, eye also has a scarred retina reducing colour and detail, and his ocular muscles don't allow for quick and accurate eye movement. His spine, of course, is completely fused, and judging by his neck movement, he may have Parkinson's.

So, tell me, wise one, about how unrealistic and childish having clear glass is?

You've also never been in a helicopter where the pilot had only one eye and it only had about half of its operating field of vision. This pilot also has no inner ear, and his leprosy has rendered him unable to feel anything through his skin. His one, poor, eye also has a scarred retina reducing colour and detail, and his ocular muscles don't allow for quick and accurate eye movement. His spine, of course, is completely fused, and judging by his neck movement, he may have Parkinson's.

So, tell me, wise one, about how unrealistic and childish having clear glass is?

Guess you never flew with some of the pilots I did:lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

There used to be plenty of dirt on the glass a few years back. It was then removed as people started to complain IIRC.