No easy FM?

Stratos

I tried the “easy” FM for the 21Bis, but cannot feel any difference with the regular FM. So can anyone in the development team comfirm that there’s no Easy FM.

Thanks.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

^ The manual pointed out MiG flight model differences when switching to game flight mode in game options. But the manual is 4 years old and the plane went through so many FM revisions since then, that it might be indeed difficult to say indeed to what extent the game mode affects it now.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The "EASY" flight model is a simplified flight model that helps newbies (like kids or people that never touched a simulator) to fly without crashing or flying all around except the plane they try to reach.

I got from Dolphin some detail on differences on Easy FM:

1. gears will auto-retract if IAS > 400 km/h and gears handle will return to neutral.

2. There is more stabillity on pitch (more damping), a mild stalling, no deep stall condition and elevator effectivenes limited at very high AoA (possible only in falling),

3. It is a bit better turning on ground (easier taxi procedure),

4. Soplo (nozzle) damage will not create vectored thrust,

5. There is no time limit for ChR use and engine is protected from the surge,

Following will work if both "Game Flight Mode" and "Simplified engine management" are on:

- engine won't shut down on high lateral or high negative longitudinal acceleration (such are in spins),

- engine won't stop at low oil pressure time trigger,

- engine won't shut down at low fuel pressure.

Last 3 options will be available if either "Game Flight Mode" or "Simplified engine management" are on in the next patch.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I got from Dolphin some detail on differences on Easy FM:

1. gears will auto-retract if IAS > 400 km/h and gears handle will return to neutral.

2. There is more stabillity on pitch (more damping), a mild stalling, no deep stall condition and elevator effectivenes limited at very high AoA (possible only in falling),

3. It is a bit better turning on ground (easier taxi procedure),

4. Soplo (nozzle) damage will not create vectored thrust,

5. There is no time limit for ChR use and engine is protected from the surge,

Following will work if both "Game Flight Mode" and "Simplified engine management" are on:

- engine won't shut down on high lateral or high negative longitudinal acceleration (such are in spins),

- engine won't stop at low oil pressure time trigger,

- engine won't shut down at low fuel pressure.

Last 3 options will be available if either "Game Flight Mode" or "Simplified engine management" are on in the next patch.

Thanks for the clarification, have been trying it now, and yes it works the way you describe. IS an improvement that makes the FM easier to control. Can I suggest to make the landing gear stronger for next update on "Game Flight Mode"? Making a correct landing on the Bis is quite hard, and is frustrating to see you squeashed the landing gear.

Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification, have been trying it now, and yes it works the way you describe. IS an improvement that makes the FM easier to control. Can I suggest to make the landing gear stronger for next update on "Game Flight Mode"? Making a correct landing on the Bis is quite hard, and is frustrating to see you squeashed the landing gear.

Thanks.

How about you learn how to land a little softer Stratos:D

It's all in the setup, gear down flaps down at 380 km/h, hit the throttle, she will want to slow down quite quickly when dropping the gear and flaps. Keep the speed at 350 to 380 km/h, that's around 85 engine RPM.

Trim the aircraft for this setting with a decent of around 7 m/s. Trim, Trim, Trim....So you don't need to over control with your stick.

I recommend you do some more reading and practice, turn those helpers off, they only make things worse down the track, add a little curve to your stick if it's to sensitive.

Landing the Mig-21 is so much fun to learn, amazing in VR! it's so quick compared to all the other aircraft in DCS. Think of it like landing a skimming rock, you need speed, do not pull the power until the wheels are down, if you cut power you will fall to the runway HARD like a brick, skim her in like skimming that rock across the lake fast 330 to 340 km/h.

Once the wheels are down, deploy the chute (assign to a joystick button), this will also help keep you tracking down the center while slowing down.

Download Chucks Mig-21 guide if you haven't?

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Guys, seen since when I'm a member here? Been flying Flanker 1, then Flanker 2 all iterations, Lomac, Flaming Cliffs, well you get the idea. I'm not complaining about realistic FM landing gear or landing procedures, I know how to land those. What I'm requesting here is a more forgiving landing gear behaviour for "GAME FLIGHT MODE", so newbies can land the 21Bis easier. I see it as a sort of transition so the newbies can fly and fight in a more forgiving way as a way to learn before transiting to FULL REALISM. After all I'm older now thant when I joined the forums, that means that I have small pilots to train now!!

Guys, seen since when I'm a member here? Been flying Flanker 1, then Flanker 2 all iterations, Lomac, Flaming Cliffs, well you get the idea. I'm not complaining about realistic FM landing gear or landing procedures, I know how to land those. What I'm requesting here is a more forgiving landing gear behaviour for "GAME FLIGHT MODE", so newbies can land the 21Bis easier. I see it as a sort of transition so the newbies can fly and fight in a more forgiving way as a way to learn before transiting to FULL REALISM. After all I'm older now thant when I joined the forums, that means that I have small pilots to train now!!

There are many aircraft in DCS now, you might have just bought it just lately? We are not going to presume your a Mig21 expert already and only need the mig easier for training beginners.

Just a Heads up, Perhaps lead with that next thread!!;)

They need more training or a better coach:D. I see this as a good level for beginners to achieve and get to. It's something to aim for when practicing and to feel good when done correctly. This is not an aircraft to learn to land in, you should be very very competent in the Su-25t Free or L-39 Albatros, are these guys VERY competent on these types of aircraft?

"I see it as a sort of transition"

The Mig-21 is possibly 3 x harder than landing these other types of aircraft. That's why it's so much fun....

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link