Why isn't my JTAC lasing targets?

Hi guys,

Can somebody please take a look at the attached mission and tell me why my JTAC isn't working? He's supposed to lase targets for my GBU's but he isn't. He has line of sight to the target, and he's within range so I can't see why he isn't marking the targets for me. When I contact him, he reads out the nine line but calls 'No mark' every time.

Am I doing something wrong or is this another one of the ME features that's currently broke in DCS?

Harrier_Naval_Strike.miz

Hi guys,

Can somebody please take a look at the attached mission and tell me why my JTAC isn't working?

He's supposed to lase targets for my GBU's but he isn't.

He has line of sight to the target, and he's within range so I can't see why he isn't marking the targets for me.

When I contact him, he reads out the nine line but calls 'No mark' every time.

Am I doing something wrong or is this another one of the ME features that's currently broke in DCS?

Would seem it is broken, all though you have met all conditions, the AI is blind at night time and can't see the targets unless they are close to the 1-1.5km mark, any further out up to the 5km IR pointer and laser 10km maximum ranges and no go, so it is either a Line of Sight, sensors or night blindness problem, I would say a sensors or mk1 eyeball problem (as it works in daylight, but not night), even AI in aircraft are half blind these days.:smilewink:

• If you change the mission to a day mission it works as is.
  • If you move your JTAC with in 1-1.5km of targets at night it works as is.
  • Best to make JTAC invisible and Hold fire as they will get killed otherwise and or kill your targets themselves depending on vehicle used.
  • Also recommend to never use "Easy Comms" as it can be problematic, I am guessing you had to for the harrier because it's full radios aren't going yet.

Made some changes for it to work a bit better.

Kind Regards, Ian.

Harrier_Naval_Strike_Fixed.miz

Edited by MadDog-IC
  • Like 1

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Sometimes I use JTAC Automatic Targeting and Laser (CTLD) to work around the problem. The script allows a JTAC to mark and hold an IR and Laser point on a target.

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

Would seem it is broken, all though you have met all conditions, the AI is blind at night time and can't see the targets unless they are close to the 1-1.5km mark, any further out up to the 5km IR pointer and laser 10km maximum ranges and no go, so it is either a Line of Sight, sensors or night blindness problem, I would say a sensors or mk1 eyeball problem (as it works in daylight, but not night), even AI in aircraft are half blind these days.:smilewink:

• If you change the mission to a day mission it works as is.
  • If you move your JTAC with in 1-1.5km of targets at night it works as is.
  • Best to make JTAC invisible and Hold fire as they will get killed otherwise and or kill your targets themselves depending on vehicle used.
  • Also recommend to never use "Easy Comms" as it can be problematic, I am guessing you had to for the harrier because it's full radios aren't going yet.

Made some changes for it to work a bit better.

Kind Regards, Ian.

Thanks for your help with this. It never occurred to me that night would be an issue, I just assumed that they'd automatically see the target. I wish we had decent documentation from ED so we'd know all the little intricacies like this.

And yeah, easy comms for the Harrier unfortunately. Hopefully they'll sort the radios out sometime soon.

Thanks for your help with this. It never occurred to me that night would be an issue, I just assumed that they'd automatically see the target. I wish we had decent documentation from ED so we'd know all the little intricacies like this.

And yeah, easy comms for the Harrier unfortunately. Hopefully they'll sort the radios out sometime soon.

I think you miss understood me, it is not an intricacy but a bug, they should be able to see their targets at night just as well as in the daytime, but they don't, so I suspect that they either the AI never use night vision sensor or its range parameters are incorrect.

The JTAC short distance to target and Line of Sight has been a problem for ages, to get good LOS, put them on high hills looking down at targets, or on open flat plains with no buildings, trees, hills, etc between the JTAC and targets, also use excellent setting for the JTAC AI skill. You could also use AI AFAC aircraft such as a Predator, A-10c, etc to lase for your with their superior look down aspect, LOS isn't such a issue.

All the best, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

One detail that bites me from time to time is that I forget to use the dropdown under the FAC action which tells the FAC what weapons will be employed. He won't lase if he doesn't know GBUs are being employed.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com