Stennis Lights

LooseSeal

So I'm trying to take off from the Stennis at night time, but the carrier is pitch black aside from lights around the edges and so is impossible to get from the ramp to the catapult. I've definitely seen more lights on other people's Youtube videos, so wondering how exactly we get them turned on. No doubt I've missed something blindingly obvious.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Make sure that you have the right Stennis. Happens to be that I had one mod from earlier days - reason why the TACAN did not work either ;)

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

It's probably something obvious, but not that obvious unfortunately.. definitely the right Stennis! :megalol:

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

I just did a night carrier landing and it was light up pretty much just like this.

I will say, having the ICLS needles would make for a much easier landing.

If you call the stennis at 127.500 (FM) and ask for inbound then you will the christmass lights.

Whats missing is the white strong light that was shown in the press videos.

ED: where is it?

Can you reference a white strong light in night ops in real life? I would think the last thing they'd want on deck at night is a bright white light. I haven't seen the press video, but I wonder if it was done for better visuals and not necessarily realism.

Edited by TonyG

• 2 weeks later...
If you call the stennis at 127.500 (FM) and ask for inbound then you will the christmass lights.

Whats missing is the white strong light that was shown in the press videos.

ED: where is it?

Hey 127.500(FM), Is this the default frequency for the Stennis? I have looked for the frequency but not found on f10 map or on brief page . I playing in Bigbird server they have right now night configuration and I tried hard to contact the Stennis but without any success. I have seen one person Yuke when he was landing the carrier was light up like a Christmas tree. I know he was some how able to contact the Stennis but don't know how. I asked him but he didn't response

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

Hey 127.500(FM), Is this the default frequency for the Stennis? I have looked for the frequency but not found on f10 map or on brief page . I playing in Bigbird server they have right now night configuration and I tried hard to contact the Stennis but without any success. I have seen one person Yuke when he was landing the carrier was light up like a Christmas tree. I know he was some how able to contact the Stennis but don't know how. I asked him but he didn't response

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=211200

Specs:

System: Asus Z170-E, I7 6700K, 16GB DDR4, Asus GTX1070 8GB, 1TB M2 SSD + 2x 250GB SSD,TrackIR, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder

Modules: A-10C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, F5E, M2000, AJS37, AV8b, F18C

• 1 month later...
I am glad you have been able to bring up the landing lights.

I cannot.

Once you have comm 1 on 127.500 (FM).....what do you "say" to get the lights to come on. Just clicking the frequency does not do it.

Request landing with radio menu and they would put on the landing light.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Haven'T read all the replies, but make sure you contact Tower and request landing on each passes, as lights turns off almost as soon as the cable really stops you. And the Steenis default requency is 127.500. Not to mention, if in MP, lights will turn off when the person requesting landing lands as i said, so others not requesting, might end up no lights i think.

Let'S hope ED will listen to my wishlist here. :P

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215739

:pilotfly:

Edited by Doum76

I cannot.

Once you have comm 1 on 127.500 (FM).....what do you "say" to get the lights to come on. Just clicking the frequency does not do it.

the boats was switched to AM by default in an update.

I just did a night carrier landing and it was light up pretty much just like this.

I will say, having the ICLS needles would make for a much easier landing.

Can you reference a white strong light in night ops in real life? I would think the last thing they'd want on deck at night is a bright white light. I haven't seen the press video, but I wonder if it was done for better visuals and not necessarily realism.

Nope, the deck at night is virtually pitch black. The L/A lights are on, rather dimmly and the lights on the island are on, thats about it. The green lights on the island are turned down to not blind pilots or give position, the orangish ones are barely enough to light the 6-pack and the rest is flashlights and wands.

ASUS ROG Strix Helios Case - ASUS AM4 ROG Strix X-570E MB - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 64 GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - ASUS DualGeForce GTX 1070 - SSD 2x 1TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Home -

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster TPR Pedels - TrackIR

I am told that if the mission editor has a freq for the Stennis like 298.000 AM that the freq is NO longer 127.500 AM but 298.000 AM. You must call (or use keyboard) inbound each time, and that the lights go out the minute you touch down.

Sounds all very reasonable, except that it does not function. I have edited the freq, the time 2AM when any sane person would be landing WITH lights, and nothing works.

I think this must be a bug in DCS - mission editor or something.

I follow exactly all the instructions, and yet, no lights - carrier or field.

This is VERY frustrating as I have seen the carrier lights - the landing box - lit up exactly as a runway should be just one time - and can never reproduce it.

Very frustrating. I cannot see to land - in VR.

Strange, it is working for me in the latest OB

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I am told that if the mission editor has a freq for the Stennis like 298.000 AM that the freq is NO longer 127.500 AM but 298.000 AM. You must call (or use keyboard) inbound each time, and that the lights go out the minute you touch down.

Sounds all very reasonable, except that it does not function. I have edited the freq, the time 2AM when any sane person would be landing WITH lights, and nothing works.

This is VERY frustrating as I have seen the carrier lights - the landing box - lit up exactly as a runway should be just one time - and can never reproduce it.

If you contacted tower and have requesting landing etc and the light do not work, have you tried the repair option at all

You know what, just do a simple quick test and save a lot of this and that questionning, simply put your mission with easy comm, hop in your Hornet, select COMM 1 on your UFC, contact tower while pressing the COMM 1 PTT switch (see below keybinding references) to use radio COMM 1, see if it works, if so, pay attention to the FRQ it will automaticly tune to on your UFC (it will also show in the comm meny besides the Stennis name when you select it), quit mission, edit mission, remove easy comm, get back in your Hornet, select COMM 1 on your UFC, tune your COMM 1 to that FRQ it changed to on easy comm previously, press the COMM 1 PTT switch to use radio COMM 1. See how it goes. Sometimes, you need to contact it tower 2 times in a row so it answers you BTW as the first time it Highlight in white the radio and second time sorta contact it.

For your record, all the misison i created still uses 127.500, the main changes is that we can now attribute customed FRQ to each ship int he group, before the Stennis was fixed with 127.500. I personaly don't know where the 298.000 comes from. Even when i create a new mission now from scratch to see, i drop a Stennis, it shows in it's details as 127.5 MHz with AM Modululation on the drop down menu.

Make sure you use COMM buttons to contact tower, look in your controls options and look for the folowing and use the proper binding you have on your side if different than mine;

COMM Switch - Comm 1 Chances it'll be (RAlt+\) Make sure it's backslash and not Slash

COMM Switch - Comm 2 Chances it'll be (RCtrl+\) Make sure it's backslash and not Slash

Edited by Doum76

Thanks Doum, I'll do as you suggest and report back.

Edit:

Follow up:

I still don't know whether it is in the DCS or how the mission is put together by those who do so, but I did manage to get the lights

to function, every time.

Still do not know if time of day is a factor, but when dark they do come on.

Would like them on in bad weather as well, but that is for another day.

The planner of the mission, needs to include the carrier tower frequency in the briefing. If not there, you must ask, or if they did not include it, I guess 127.500 AM is the default.

SRS simple radio has nothing to do with this.

Use voice or keyboard, contact atc on the correct carrier with the correct frequency and the lights come on BRIEFLY.

Upon touchdown they go out almost immediately, as others here have already stated, frustrating I'm sure, for the guy coming in

behind you.

It is very helpful to have guiding lights on a dark night, low visibility, or foggy day.

Thanks to all of you who helped me figure this out. Someone needs to make a sticky for this.

Edited by captflyby

Thanks Doum, I'll do as you suggest and report back.

Not sure if helpful but I have lights on the Stennis with a mission date/time of 2018.07.16/21:01:00 (sunset) in the Caucasus map.

Default frequency in the ME is 127.500 AM

I have an AI aircraft ahead of my flight, set to land, so that might change things re. when the lights turn on.

AI spawns about 5 nm from carrier, player spawns 7 nm for an overhead pass/break @ 1500 ft

Note: I don't own the Hornet, so these are Harriers testing nights ops, while waiting for the Tarawa's own lighting to appear in Open Beta.

Stennis looks as shown in this video

Com sequence goes something like this:

Main. ATC CVN-74 Lohn C. Stennis

F1. Inbound

Enfield 1-1, Ship, fly heading 124 for 9, QFE 29.93, etc.

Arrival. Ready to land

• F1. Request Landing

PLAYER, Enfield 1-1, request landing

Arrival. Landing

Enfield 1-1, cleared for visual, contact tower

Enfield 1-1, Ship, check landing gear, runway ...

• Carrier 'runway' lights are off until F1 'request landing' and turn off again after touch down i.e. 5 sec after 'taxi to parking area'

Tested in DCS 2.5.2.19273

Edited by Ramsay
Add detail

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

LooseSeal was talking about the lights during launch ops not necessarily recovery ops.

Like this:

If that's the light he's refering too, then i have never seen it in game, exept in ModelViewer as Argument #152 (see attached picture). so i can't help, only way found to make light turns on is either contact tower for take-off or landing, if it doesn' turn on for any of those situation, then, merely almost no one knows.

rO02nqI.jpg

LooseSeal was talking about the lights during launch ops not necessarily recovery ops.

Understood, unfortunately I can't help him there (I assume it's still WIP).

Hence my reply was in response to captflyby (but perhaps I should have quoted his earlier post).

I cannot.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

We might see in future. I haven't seen those lights during takeoff. Don't know if it is possible to light up. One thing which I can think off is the paid version carriers that may come later on.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

We might see in future. I haven't seen those lights during takeoff. Don't know if it is possible to light up. One thing which I can think off is the paid version carriers that may come later on.

I presume those lights indeed are part of it and might comes when elevators comes out as well.